No extension cords thru Celebrity security

Debordo

Please do not use the item linked above, as it is a surge protector, and is what has caused all the hullaballoo over power strips and extension cords. I don't know if it has been posted on this thread or not, but here is the USCG Safety Notice regarding surge protectors, which started all this prohibition of cords and things:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1r9Tu5trPAhUIPD4KHelvCGgQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Ftvncoe%2FDocuments%2Fsafetyalerts%2FSurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEPXVHLCc4iP8x_ha6tGKkxy6aCQw&bvm=bv.135974163,bs.2,d.dmo

I can't stress this strongly enough, do not use a surge protector. I have 40 years at sea as an engineer, and I also have fought shipboard fires, and regularly teach fire prevention to crew, and not using surge protectors is item #1.

Keep in mind that even with all the computers onboard a cruise ship, even the electronics for navigation on the bridge, and the systems that keep the engines running and the lights on in the engine room, there are no surge protectors in use, not one, because they are not required, even the expensive ones designed for shipboard use.

wow! ok, backup plan then is hoping we can use non surge protector power strip?

and i realized that 3 extension cords make no sense after I got the response from Celebrity. It must have been either very late or very early in the day when I made the request (been suffering from insomnia).

thanks again, will go back and look at what you purchased from Amazon (sorry, it wasn't you that posted that, and the item in question is also a surge protector). Can you suggest anything that WOULD work and be acceptable?

cheryl corcoran

Edited by shovelrae1959

Again, I stress that using a surge protector onboard a ship is just like heart disease, it is a silent killer, that can strike at any time, without any warning. Your Belkin may have worked fine in the past, but the life of the surge protector circuit may have been shortened by reverse voltages, and it may work fine on the next cruise, right up until something at the other end of the ship goes to ground and sends a jolt of low voltage reverse power into the surge protector and it fails and goes into thermal runaway, and catches the cute little Belkin unit on fire.

By all means use the Belkin unit when travelling on land, but do not use it on a ship.

I searched for a power strip without a surge protector, and purchased the Belkin. It is brand new and is NOT supposed to have a surge protector. Would that make it acceptable?

thanks

cheryl

I don't understand the need for 3 extension cords. An extension cord only extends the reach of the existing plug. It doesn't produce an additional one.

It doesn't make sense to me either! All i can say is it must have been very late or very early in the day when I made the request. Been dealing with insomnia lately, so it could have been either time frame.

cheryl

I searched for a power strip without a surge protector, and purchased the Belkin. It is brand new and is NOT supposed to have a surge protector. Would that make it acceptable?

thanks

cheryl

You are talking about the exact model in your link? While I tend to distrust Amazon when it comes to providing complete specifications on an item, this item is definitely a surge protector. It has a small LED light that says "protected", which indicates surge protection. It mentions "306 joules of protection" which is also a key indicator of surge protection (this is how much energy the device will dump to ground before it fails), and even then, this is a middling amount of protection for a surge protector.

Belkin provides very few models that do not have surge protection, and their combination power outlets and USB ports are almost universally surge protected.

Here is one where joepeka has called Belkin and confirmed that it is not surge protected:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51265308&postcount=56

You are talking about the exact model in your link? While I tend to distrust Amazon when it comes to providing complete specifications on an item, this item is definitely a surge protector. It has a small LED light that says "protected", which indicates surge protection. It mentions "306 joules of protection" which is also a key indicator of surge protection (this is how much energy the device will dump to ground before it fails), and even then, this is a middling amount of protection for a surge protector.

Belkin provides very few models that do not have surge protection, and their combination power outlets and USB ports are almost universally surge protected.

Here is one where joepeka has called Belkin and confirmed that it is not surge protected:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51265308&postcount=56

No, I apologize. I should have sent you the link to the power strip before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AG0IO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did not call Belkin, but relied on the reviews saying that it is not a surge protector. I really hope they are right, I'm going to go broke continually buying power cords! LOL

Cheryl Corcoran

one of the reviews mentioned 'joules' and was told that it isn't listed on this item because it isn't a surge protector. got my fingers crossed

Edited by shovelrae1959

No, I apologize. I should have sent you the link to the power strip before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AG0IO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did not call Belkin, but relied on the reviews saying that it is not a surge protector. I really hope they are right, I'm going to go broke continually buying power cords! LOL

Cheryl Corcoran

one of the reviews mentioned 'joules' and was told that it isn't listed on this item because it isn't a surge protector. got my fingers crossed

Congratulations, you've won the Easter egg hunt for a Belkin power product that isn't surge protected. Yes, this is the only power strip they make that isn't, so you are fine.

Congratulations, you've won the Easter egg hunt for a Belkin power product that isn't surge protected. Yes, this is the only power strip they make that isn't, so you are fine.

Yippee!! I got something right for a change. Now to see if it will pass or get confiscated anyway. Oh well, life is a crap shoot anyway.

thanks so much for all your valuable assistance and explanations!

Cheryl Corcoran

Spoke with Celebrity last night about borrowing a power strip if they confiscate mine. I was told that yes, they would confiscate mine and NO they won't provide me with another. Furthermore, power strips are not allowed because they are a fire hazard. I could have multiple extension cords, though. :) Was also told that there are multiple outlets, not just one or 2. Hmm, can't remember how many we had on The Solstice, but didn't seem like many. With being told not to use our small units as they are surge protectors, and having our power strip confiscated, we will be rotating outlets to get things charged. I did buy a wall mount USB charger that has multiple outlets, so that should help. Most of our electronics have USB cable connecting to a plug in anyway.

Whew! I hate being such an anal person, but I hate surprises, especially on vacations!!

Cheryl Corcoran

• 1 month later...

I just returned from Silhouette and was in a Celebrity Suite. It is amazing that there are no power outlets in the living room. There are 2 each 110 and 2 each 220 on the desk near the entrance. I couldn't find any outlets in the bedroom except the ones the lights were plugged into.

Wanting to use my laptop I asked the butler for an extension cord. He had one delivered within minutes. It was a heavy duty extension cord and about 25-30 feet long. No need to try to bring your own.

I also bought a couple GE Heavy Duty Tap (increase the number of outlets)

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Heavy-Duty-3-Outlet-50281/dp/B001UE7SB4

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61ISFB2cw6L._SX355_.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain

to order distilled water for DH's CPAP machine and the rep said an extension cord came with the "package"...FYI...LuAnn

We received the water and the cord...but it was big and bulky..and we were allowed to use the cord we brought from home....LuAnn

We received the water and the cord...but it was big and bulky..and we were allowed to use the cord we brought from home....LuAnn

Just curious - - How did you get your extension cord through security? I have arranged with Celebrity to have them provide the normal CPAP setup for our next cruise in two weeks, but I will have an extension cord with me incase I need it the night before in the pre-cruise hotel. I will not use it on the ship, and if they confiscate before boarding that is fine, they can have it. However, I do not want to have my luggage delayed because it is seen during their routine luggage screening. Right now, I just plan on having it in my CPAP carryon case so if it discovered in the check-in area they can have it, or I may just trash it at the hotel.

we brought the extension cord from home...and it was in our "checked" luggage...we ordered the "package" with the water and cord...and the cord was so bulky we said "No thank you"....and sent it back...

We did not have any questions regarding the cord in the luggage...and we used it the entire trip in the cabin....just tucked it under the bed when not in use...and it is white which was easier to see in the dark when I'm trying to get up and use the bathroom at night!!!! :cool: Hope this helps!!! LuAnn

Very helpful thread! I never considered this before and my partner does use a CPAP. How do I order the CPAP setup? Do I need to call Celebrity or can it be done on their website where I do the online checkin? I am also going to take some of the 3 way plugs so we can keep all our electronic devices charged up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very helpful thread! I never considered this before and my partner does use a CPAP. How do I order the CPAP setup? Do I need to call Celebrity or can it be done on their website where I do the online checkin? I am also going to take some of the 3 way plugs so we can keep all our electronic devices charged up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can request CPAP distilled water and an extension cord on Celebrity's website site. Look for Special Needs or something like that, I don't remember exactly, but there is a form for requesting many kinds of special needs equipment and down the page you will find a CPAP check box. Just check the box and fill out the other sections of the form, just basic information such as sailing and cabin number, then "submit". In a day or two Celebrity will respond that they will provide the cord and water.

• 1 month later...

I am finishing my second cruise in 2 weeks on Celebrity. Requested cords and distilled water from them. Got a gallon from each. Used barely a quarter of what I use in NM. Got one ext cord 20 ft long and another 50 ft long, ran it under the beds. And I brought my 6 plug power strip, as I had hotel stays before, during and after cruises. No one at FLL cruise port said anything on either cruise. And I did not use it on cruise. Would have been a shame to have it taken, when I needed it elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Per Celebrity's website under "what not to pack".

For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

• Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas

• Sharp objects, including knives and scissors*

• Illegal drugs and substances

• Candles, incense, coffee makers, clothes irons, travel steamers and hot plates (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighters are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and are therefore prohibited.)

• Electrical extension cords

• Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows, and arrows

• Skateboards and surfboards

• Martial-arts gear

• Aerial drones

• Self-defense, including handcuffs, pepper spray, and night sticks

• Flammable liquids, including lighter fluid

• Explosives, including fireworks

• Hookahs & water hookah pipes

• Ham radios

• Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint

• Alcoholic beverages** (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing.)

If you have a question about an item you wish to take on board your cruise, please contact our reservations team.

* Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blades less than four inches are allowed.

I find it irritating (and quite illogical) that they ban ham radios, but not other hand-held 2-way radios, such as BR and FRS. (Some countries ban FRS radios, but freely allow us hams to use our radios, since we are licensed.) Other cruise lines do not ban them, and I have had very friendly conversations with locals when visiting ports.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

I find it irritating (and quite illogical) that they ban ham radios, but not other hand-held 2-way radios, such as BR and FRS. (Some countries ban FRS radios, but freely allow us hams to use our radios, since we are licensed.) Other cruise lines do not ban them, and I have had very friendly conversations with locals when visiting ports.

I believe that due to the wattage/frequency of the ham radios, these fall under the ship's radiotelegraphy/radiotelephony station license, and therefore would be at the Captain's discretion as to whether or not the radio is allowed, and like many decisions, the cruise lines decide to take the front line personnel out of the decision process, and therefore take them out of the line of fire of complaints as well.

Most FRS/GMRS consumer radios fall below the wattage requirement to be under the ship's license.

I use a CPAP machine and have never had my extension cord or surge protector confiscated before by any other cruise line so I'm glad for the heads up on this issue.

We just booked a Celebrity cruise but that trip will entail a pre-cruise hotel stay and a lengthy post-cruise land tour for which both items will be required. I'm going to have my TA check on this issue.

I use a CPAP machine and have never had my extension cord or surge protector confiscated before by any other cruise line so I'm glad for the heads up on this issue.

We just booked a Celebrity cruise but that trip will entail a pre-cruise hotel stay and a lengthy post-cruise land tour for which both items will be required. I'm going to have my TA check on this issue.

I took a long extension cord with me for my CPAP machine to only be used if needed at our pre-cruise hotel during our recent Silhouette cruise. I had already made arrangements with Celebrity for them to supply an extension cord and distilled water in the cabin, so I had no need for my extension cord while on the ship. Therefore, since I did not want to take a chance that one of our suitcases would be held up by security because of a packed cord, we just put it in our carryon bag; if they took it fine, if not fine no big loss. To my surprise, security never mentioned it although it had to be obvious in the x-ray machine, so when all our luggage arrived in our cabin I just put into an empty suitcase and stored it until we got back home.

As it all turned out, I did not need it in the hotel either (not surprising since nearly every hotel that I have been in have AC outlets next to the bed), and I did not use it on the ship. So the cord took a long round trip for nothing.

I wonder if anyone has ever filed an American with Disabilities Act (ADA) complaint against them for confiscating what I consider an essential part of the my CPAP equipment?

Edited by comcox

I wonder if anyone has ever filed an American with Disabilities Act (ADA) complaint against them for confiscating what I consider an essential part of the my CPAP equipment?

While foreign flag cruise ships must meet ADA requirements with regards to "reasonable access" to areas around the ship, and cannot refuse a passenger based on disability, the US Supreme Court in Specter v. NCL, ruled that absent clear direction from Congress (i.e. a revision to the ADA specifically including foreign ships in all aspects of the ADA), that the ADA does not apply to the ship's internal policies and procedures, and that nothing in the ADA can overrule SOLAS, and since surge protected power strips are a known fire hazard, Celebrity is within their rights to exclude electrical cords and power strips brought by passengers. Besides, they are not denying you your medical device, they are saying that they will provide a suitable and inspected, i.e. controlled, alternative.