Missing suitcase on debarkation

skydawg

Hi everyone! Just returned from a fantastic 12 day Mediterranean on Brilliance. We had an Owner's Suite and were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. The trip was great right until the end. We put the bags out the night before as we always have done. When we debarked on Wednesday morning, one of our suitcases was missing in action. We searched high and low and nothing... Filled out the Lost Property Form and followed up with phone call and email. No news yet. I figure if there's no news by now, it's a goner.

So....if any of you have been thru this, I'd appreciate any advice you can give. We have trip insurance and can file but the value of the clothes exceeds any reimbursement they could give (we had our finest gowns, shoes, and tuxedo for the trip as it was a special one). Any "gotchas" to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! Just returned from a fantastic 12 day Mediterranean on Brilliance. We had an Owner's Suite and were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. The trip was great right until the end. We put the bags out the night before as we always have done. When we debarked on Wednesday morning, one of our suitcases was missing in action. We searched high and low and nothing... Filled out the Lost Property Form and followed up with phone call and email. No news yet. I figure if there's no news by now, it's a goner.

So....if any of you have been thru this, I'd appreciate any advice you can give. We have trip insurance and can file but the value of the clothes exceeds any reimbursement they could give (we had our finest gowns, shoes, and tuxedo for the trip as it was a special one). Any "gotchas" to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Your insurance will likely want receipts for everything. If you don't have the proof of purchase, even for the luggage itself, you'll have to write down everything, date of purchase, where purchased, when purchased.

Our carrier gave us $300 , back in '95.

It's quite possible someone picked up your bag by mistake...and they may or may not attempt to return it.

At least is was AFTER your trip! Losing bags DURING a vacation would suck really bad....

I hope you put your phone number and perhaps a WORK address INSIDE your bag...that way, you can be found, without giving away your home address!

The same thing happened to my daughter Steph when we got off the Explorer on August 26 in Seattle. She was heartbroken, it included clothes, gifts, and both their running shoes. They had planned to drive right home to Portland, 4 hour drive, but when the luggage was missing, they went to my other daughter's, 45 minutes from Seattle.

At noon she got a call- the luggage had been picked up by another family with their luggage, and it was at the airport! They had a choice of picking it up at Sea-Tac, or it could go back to the cruise terminal. They didn't want to risk another mishap, so they went to the airport then home. She posted a pic of hurt hugging the suitcase on Facebook.

We'll carry our own luggage off the boat from now on.

Holly

Had a similar situation. Filled out report at the pier, followed up with phone call to Miami when we got home....said it would take a few days, and about four days later got a call that they found my luggage and were shipping it to me. Arrived in a couple of days totally intact with departure tags still attached...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks in advance!

Just file a claim.

Never had our luggage taken, but almost...when we were leaving the ship and went down to pick up our luggage...I saw a man grab my suitcase and start to leave with it. I was so glad I just happened to be there. It was an accident he just thought it was his.

The second time our tags were ripped off and the luggage was placed in the unclaimed area.

We now take our bags off the ship ourselves :)

It's never happened to us but to a friend many yrs ago. Thus from that point on we always carry ours off -

1. Prevents lost luggage.

2. Less wear and tear on the luggage.

3. Makes debarkation quicker and easier.

Thanks in advance!

It happened to us upon arriving on a ship. One of our four luggage never showed up at our cabin. We waited for hours, went down to the storage area and checked all of the luggage--nothing. More time went by, no one had an answer to the missing luggage. Finally, I told my wife, I'm going to check all the luggage left at cabin doors on our deck that haven't been brought into a cabin. And hold and behold, there was my luggage; delivered to the wrong cabin. Anyhow-- if a piece of luggage is missing, it just gives us an excuse to go shopping! :D

Saw someone eons ago in a terminal, have our garment bag with their pile of luggage. They were positive it was their's.

Now any checked bags we have are very colourful and hard to mistake as someone else's. We have tape on the bag with our last name in large letters on the tape. Can spot them for sure, even going onto the plane. Nice plain black bags are easy to mistake.