Scored with the upgrade advantage bid process

Miacruise94

Care to share how much you bid until you won?

I didn't bid, i believe my friends bid $150 a person to go from inside to balcony for the first two occupants. My parents who bid for a 2 bedroom Haven suite, I believe bid $500 per person, but it could have been slightly more.

We booked a minisuite and would love to upgrade to Haven. But I have a question about promotions. Our price included beverage package and 3rd and 4th guests free (our kids). If we place a bid and win, we'd get beverages, dining, prepaid services paid and Internet...would that be for all 4 of us? And would we just pay the bid price (per person...I'm aware it's just on the first 2 guests) on top of our original price we paid for the minisuite or do we pay the bid price AND a price for the kids (they were free in the minisuite)

Also, if we win the bid...do they tell you the total price and then we decide if we want it or is it automatically given to us if we win?

Just wondering how to identify the email? It was mentioned it was sent by a third party not NCL and could be in the junk mail.

How many days before you sail are people receiving these emails?

Hockeymom7 - I wish you luck if your biding already and waiting to hear the answers to your questions?

Cruise critics is a wonderful place to learn stuff!

We booked a minisuite and would love to upgrade to Haven. But I have a question about promotions. Our price included beverage package and 3rd and 4th guests free (our kids). If we place a bid and win, we'd get beverages, dining, prepaid services paid and Internet...would that be for all 4 of us? And would we just pay the bid price (per person...I'm aware it's just on the first 2 guests) on top of our original price we paid for the minisuite or do we pay the bid price AND a price for the kids (they were free in the minisuite)

Also, if we win the bid...do they tell you the total price and then we decide if we want it or is it automatically given to us if we win?

Per the Upgrade Advantage terms, if accepted by UA, your current promotions (Free@sea, F&F free, pkgs, etc) remain the same. They don't offer any changes 'except' the cabin upgrade. The final page of the bidding process will show the total amount that will be charged to the credit card IF accepted. The total amount for each bid will show separately in this same page. You do not get notification of decline but an email will come if awarded.

There's a terms and conditions link within the original offer email that can be checked to substantiate or clarify what I'm saying.

Good Luck!

@21mangocruiser

You got away like a bandit!!! Make sure you thoroughly enjoy your cruise �� You earned it.

Edited by Kbyummy

Just wondering how to identify the email? It was mentioned it was sent by a third party not NCL and could be in the junk mail.

How many days before you sail are people receiving these emails?

Hockeymom7 - I wish you luck if your biding already and waiting to hear the answers to your questions?

Cruise critics is a wonderful place to learn stuff!

We got the email 80 days before our cruise. It came from Upgrade Advantage@NCL.

Per the Upgrade Advantage terms, if accepted by UA, your current promotions (Free@sea, F&F free, pkgs, etc) remain the same. They don't offer any changes 'except' the cabin upgrade. The final page of the bidding process will show the total amount that will be charged to the credit card IF accepted. The total amount for each bid will show separately in this same page. You do not get notification of decline but an email will come if awarded.

There's a terms and conditions link within the original offer email that can be checked to substantiate or clarify what I'm saying.

Good Luck!

@21mangocruiser

You got away like a bandit!!! Make sure you thoroughly enjoy your cruise �� You earned it.

A question? Right now all I have is free WIFI and I paid for a BB category cabin ( accessible balcony). If I get an offer to bid on a higher category would I be able to get the DSC or beverage package as well or would I just keep my free WIFI?

Thanks.

I put in a bid for $400/pp to go from an aft PH (H6) to 2BR (H4) about three weeks ago and have heard nothing back. What I find odd is that my bid was considered "low".....the price difference between the two categories is $1100 total! My bid is only $150/pp less than full price! :eek:

I put in a bid for $400/pp to go from an aft PH (H6) to 2BR (H4) about three weeks ago and have heard nothing back. What I find odd is that my bid was considered "low".....the price difference between the two categories is $1100 total! My bid is only $150/pp less than full price! :eek:

Seems that those already booked in a higher priced room are not really benefiting. The person in a Balcony or minisuite most likely paid considerably less than you've paid and so they are more than likely willing to bid considerably more and still be way under the going rate for the room. It's one of those catch 22's. If you are certain you want a suite then pay in advance. If willing to risk it, there's a chance you can get the same suite or better for a fraction of the cost. Same goes for those willing to gamble with a low cost inside stateroom and potentially upgrade to a balcony or minisuite for a fraction of what most sold for. Now that the emails are going out to I assume many more passengers than just here on CC, and potentially going fleet wide, it will no doubt affect some passengers willingness to pay the advertised full fares. But that won't really show in full priced bookings for quite some time.

Seems that those already booked in a higher priced room are not really benefiting. The person in a Balcony or minisuite most likely paid considerably less than you've paid and so they are more than likely willing to bid considerably more and still be way under the going rate for the room. It's one of those catch 22's. If you are certain you want a suite then pay in advance. If willing to risk it, there's a chance you can get the same suite or better for a fraction of the cost. Same goes for those willing to gamble with a low cost inside stateroom and potentially upgrade to a balcony or minisuite for a fraction of what most sold for. Now that the emails are going out to I assume many more passengers than just here on CC, and potentially going fleet wide, it will no doubt affect some passengers willingness to pay the advertised full fares. But that won't really show in full priced bookings for quite some time.

You would thing that NCL would give higher suites a "first look" seeing the lower category rooms could then take the lower suites when they move them up. So the H6 above would open up for the balcony and she would be rewarded her H4

I am very, very happy where I am now. I sailed last year in the same suite. I just thought I'd give this bidding thing a shot. It was after I put my price in for the bid when I checked to see what savings I'd get! I don't really think it's worth the full-price to be in the Haven - not considering the huge aft deck 9 balcony! Im just going to wait and see what (if anything) happens with the bid. :D

The $750/pp I could put in to go from H4 to H2 also seemed pretty close to full price to me as well and was marked as low. We ended up not going with the bid.

You would thing that NCL would give higher suites a "first look" seeing the lower category rooms could then take the lower suites when they move them up. So the H6 above would open up for the balcony and she would be rewarded her H4

Actually, I don't think this would benefit NCL. They are going to get the same amount from the bid whether or not the bidder is already in the Haven. However, if the winner is in a regular balcony/oceanview/inside, NCL will probably make more money on the sale of the newly available cabin.

Who knows. The previous method of calling the upsell has gone thru many different approaches according to posters here and I imagine the upgrade advantage will evolve and change too. Some say the higher priced rooms get first crack and then other times it's anyone who is willing to pay the most. The, "'fairness" factor of what, when and who to offer to should be based on price paid for current booked room. There's probably many people booked in an inside or ocean view that are paying more than the person booked in a balcony or even minisuite great sale price, yet insides and ocean views are not getting offers to upsell to full suites. I actually think the offers should go out to everyone booked and the upsell bid minimums should just be based on what you've paid. I think if NCL did this though the suites would sell even higher because a $400 inside room would probably love to pay 3k for a full suite where as a 3k balcony may be pretty hesitant to pay double for the same suite.

Our bid was aceepted 5 days prior to embarkation but our bid was quite low (505$ canadian dollars) for a H5 from BX. Leaving sunday!

I saw some higher bids accepted sooner, but I guess it is smart from NCL to do this that way. We would of been happy with our balcony cabin and were not willing to pay big bucks to upgrade, but we've been lucky!

I also agree that it might be more interesting for NCL to get balcony and inside people upgraded and empty some of those cabins, because that's what it still sell last minute because its cheaper.

I received email yesterday with offer to bid on my upcoming cruise in January. Just completed my bid process. How do you know that your bid was considered "low"? I just got another email telling me that my bids were excepted.

I received email yesterday with offer to bid on my upcoming cruise in January. Just completed my bid process. How do you know that your bid was considered "low"? I just got another email telling me that my bids were excepted.

The slider told me, at least, what was considered 'low'. If you slid the slider down to the lowest allowed amount, it said "low".

Yes, what Tasm3n said! ;)

The slider told me, at least, what was considered 'low'. If you slid the slider down to the lowest allowed amount, it said "low".

Oh I see. Well I bid a little more than a minimum allowed and there was nothing indicating that my bid was low. Will see what happens. Right now we are perfectly fine with angled b9 and if they won't exept our bid we would be ok too.