Unwanted Upgrade on Royal

TXcruiser13

Update:

After another call to Princess I spoke with a very efficient representative who handled the issue right away - got our cabin back and marked us "do not upgrade" and sent an email confirmation with our original cabin assignment.

So three things learned:

*Cruise Critic regulars really know their stuff.

*Always call after an online booking to request no upgrades if desired.

*Stay on Princess with a little heat until an issue is resolved.

YAY!

OP glad thing worked out for you.

My experiences with princess and upgrades.

As long as you r the first person that booked the cabin you always have the right to get it back...period!!!!!!!! Regardless of whether you marked your cabin no upgrade or not.

I have played this game with Princess more than once in the last few years.

Do not take no for an answer.

I had a cabin paid in full that was taken away from me because the person who booked it before me wanted it back. Was told this is policy.

Another time I made a change to my cabin a few weeks before sailing and was upgraded a few days later even though I had no upgrade marked on my cabin. They had actually written in remarks re: my change that on my first cabin I had not requested no upgrade(wrong)....but if the second cabin said no upgrade why would you upgrade me??????????

I could go on with a few more situations. but won't.

I am one who often changes my cabin to a better location in the same CAT when someone cancels or Princess upgrades them and that is why I have a greater likelyhood of experiencing these problem.

Enjoy

Update:

After another call to Princess I spoke with a very efficient representative who handled the issue right away - got our cabin back and marked us "do not upgrade" and sent an email confirmation with our original cabin assignment.

So three things learned:

YAY!

Congratulations! We learned the exact same things last that year. LOL!

Edited by mthomp5

Update:

So three things learned:

YAY!

Wonderful!!!! :D

All cabins are automatically marked "Will accept an upgrade" as the default so Princess was just following your preference. Your TA should have advised you. If you booked directly, then you're responsible.

Unless your Marina balcony is beneath another cabin, you would not want to be on Marina deck. I've had balconies on both Marina and Emerald, and I'd take Emerald deck every single time. Marina deck was awful. Horrible. Noisy starting at 3:30am. Loud enough to wake me up every single night. I'd thought, "I'm beneath the carpeted Horizon Court. How bad could it be?" Oy! I sure found out the first night.

Pam, I have just been assigned M617. Were you in this area? We booked an obstructed balcony for an OUTSTANDING price. I had a feeling we would be assigned the Marina Deck. With that said, we were assigned a deluxe, and I am thrilled to have a couch. I love the location near the stairs and laundromat. It is a DC category, and there are not that many on the ship. Thank you for any feedback you would like to provide.

Marie

• 2 weeks later...
Why people think a higher deck is better I will never know, the last place you want to be is under the sun deck, never forget being on the Island with a wake up call every morning of scraping deck chairs

Many years ago, particularly when ships ran a class system on board. First class accommodation was in the superstructure or higher decks and the lowest decks were where the lower class passengers cabins were. The lower you went the narrower the corridors got and the more claustrophobic the areas were. The first class passengers could look down on the lower class passengers from where the infrastructure was. First class swimming pool or sports courts were always higher up. The concept has to some extent been perpetuated by cruise lines pricing up cabins accordingly.

Regards John