Eden, Australia on the Maasdam

Hello all!

We're stopping in Eden on our upcoming Australia/New Zealand cruise. We're not sure what to do. There is evidently some sort of shuttle we can take to a shopping area but I'm not sure about some of the excursions that are available. There is one that goes to Ben Boyd National Park where you learn about the whaling in the area and goes to what seems to be pretty areas and includes lunch. There is also a cruise on TwoFold Bay that sounds nice. I just don't know what would give me the best overview of the area.

Have any of you been in the area? What would you recommend?

Thanks for any tips you can give me! :)

I suppose the question is are you interested in those type of activities. Ben Boyd NP is a lovely area with rugged beauty and some spectacular views. There are a few lighthouses and if lucky you may see some wildlife both in the park and also out to sea. The geology and landscape is quite interesting as well. The history of Whaling, well some like it some don't. There is a whaling museum which I find very good and extremely educational in Eden and you can likely do that yourself. Other tours in the area may include fishing charters and whale tours (time of year dependent).

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g494969-Activities-Eden_New_South_Wales.html

Eden is a couple of hours drive down the highway from me. Been there a few times and done whale watching cruises and Ben Boyd NP. etc. Not a great lot to see and do. Some scenic stuff and the whale museum. Shopping Centre is not much, you can walk up the hill to that, just a few stores, nothing flash. Are they not doing a winery visit up to Bega then they could also visit ye olde Bega cheese factory !!! Merimbula/Pambula, north of Eden is nice, they could do a shorex up there.

Edited by NSWP

Yes I have been to all three but never by ship (KI was by ferry).:D

Never been to KI, every time I went to Ald planned to but it never happened, the others yes, fairly unusual itinerary, toss in Burnie not really regular Ports. Then Adelaide is the other one.

Just over a year till I cruise to a few ports I've never cruised to before

Eden

Geelong

KI.

You have few lined up there old son, good on you, indeed you will visit some wonderful places. We only have two booked now, Island Princess and QM2. I did have a hold on QE, Baltic, May 2018, but canned it at no penalty.

Cunard is a road test for us in March, not sure if it my scene, maybe a bit too posh, maybe too many stuck up poms, time will tell Mr Gut.

Will wait for Princess 2018 Baltic cruises to come out, more our scene.

Edited by NSWP

You have few lined up there old son, good on you, indeed you will visit some wonderful places. We only have two booked now, Island Princess and QM2. I did have a hold on QE, Baltic, May 2018, but canned it at no penalty.

Cunard is a road test for us in March, not sure if it my scene, maybe a bit too posh, maybe too many stuck up poms, time will tell Mr Gut.

We're a bit the same Les.

Booked a Emerald pretty much as soon as we got off Diamond last year.

Then got a good offer on QM2 -and daughter said "I could probably get that week off" so I ask what's a daddy to do?

Then saw the NCL one next December and that itinerary with Eden, Geelong and KI really took my fancy, I must say it was a bit more expensive than I'd have liked, but hey it was something different both as an itinerary and a line. I have to say they have been fantastic, already took advantage of a price drop, they changed the free offering no problem to change ours, some OBC was added, "Of course you can have it".

Then finally an offer in two nights on Solstice the week before Mrs G's birthday $20 deposit, and still hoping to be able to take my dear old mum.

Then Hawaii, is still not set in stone, we'd prefer the one later in the year if they offer it that year and the price is right.

We want to do as much as we can while my health holds, and to be frank I sometimes wonder just how much longer that'll be.

We're a bit the same Les.

Booked a Emerald pretty much as soon as we got off Diamond last year.

Then got a good offer on QM2 -and daughter said "I could probably get that week off" so I ask what's a daddy to do?

Then saw the NCL one next December and that itinerary with Eden, Geelong and KI really took my fancy, I must say it was a bit more expensive than I'd have liked, but hey it was something different both as an itinerary and a line. I have to say they have been fantastic, already took advantage of a price drop, they changed the free offering no problem to change ours, some OBC was added, "Of course you can have it".

Then finally an offer in two nights on Solstice the week before Mrs G's birthday $20 deposit, and still hoping to be able to take my dear old mum.

Then Hawaii, is still not set in stone, we'd prefer the one later in the year if they offer it that year and the price is right.

We want to do as much as we can while my health holds, and to be frank I sometimes wonder just how much longer that'll be.

Good on you mate, if you can afford to travel, you are well enough to travel and more importantly you want to travel, do it, live for today !!!

One cannot turn back the clock, nor use that visa card in heaven.

Stay safe, it's a jungle out there.

Edited by NSWP

Your time in Eden can be spent taking in the lay back ambience or ships tours. We live in Eden and have been having cruise ships visit for the last six years, the ships tours are only just getting their act together and if your up to it a good walk, will fill most of your day as long as hills don't worry you . Eden is a small fishing/timber village of only 3000 people so the things to do tourist wise is small but the beauty of the place makes up for the lack of tourist hype . The whale migration will have finished ,but the bay cruise is worth doing.We would take you for a tour if we were home but will be on Emerald Princess. Enjoy Eden but think small town.

Never been to KI, every time I went to Ald planned to but it never happened, the others yes, fairly unusual itinerary, toss in Burnie not really regular Ports. Then Adelaide is the other one.

KI is a very interesting place, great landscapes and wildlife with lots to besides.:D

I think you will find Cunard is not so stuffy or as posh as you may think. I reckon you will enjoy it immensely.:D

Thanks to those of you who gave me some insight about Eden! It sounds like a pretty place and I think some sort of tour would give us a nice overview of the area. Thanks, Ausie53, for your offer of a personal tour... that would have been fun! :) Have fun on your cruise!

I think you will find Cunard is not so stuffy or as posh as you may think. I reckon you will enjoy it immensely.:D

I hope so Mic, I am disturbed by some of the Cunarder comments on CC and other social sites. I am starting to think that some Cunarders do not like Colonials. Time will tell.

I booked QM2 for the 'Cunard Experience.' Judging by the number of 2 for 1 deals on QM2 sectors, maybe all the Brits are flying home and QM2 will be full of Colonials.

**Sorry for the thread hijack.' Yes, Eden is a nice coastal town.

Edited by NSWP

I hope so Mic, I am disturbed by some of the Cunarder comments on CC and other social sites. I am starting to think that some Cunarders do not like Colonials. Time will tell.

I booked QM2 for the 'Cunard Experience.' Judging by the number of 2 for 1 deals on QM2 sectors, maybe all the Brits are flying home and QM2 will be full of Colonials.

**Sorry for the thread hijack.' Yes, Eden is a nice coastal town.

You may be right about a lot of Aussies and Kiwis being on board but the experience will still be there. Also remember that people act a lot differently behind a screen name, than in person and CC members are such a small percentage of any cruise's passengers.

Gut2407 re your visit to Geelong you will be pleasantly surprised what my town has to offer. Currently the port is a tender port I'm not sure what tours are available through the ship normally volunteers meet the tenders and I expect some local tours will be put on.

When the time comes enjoy your visit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gut2407 re your visit to Geelong you will be pleasantly surprised what my town has to offer. Currently the port is a tender port I'm not sure what tours are available through the ship normally volunteers meet the tenders and I expect some local tours will be put on.

When the time comes enjoy your visit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, not till next December, but really looking forward to it.

Your time in Eden can be spent taking in the lay back ambience or ships tours. We live in Eden and have been having cruise ships visit for the last six years, the ships tours are only just getting their act together and if your up to it a good walk, will fill most of your day as long as hills don't worry you . Eden is a small fishing/timber village of only 3000 people so the things to do tourist wise is small but the beauty of the place makes up for the lack of tourist hype . The whale migration will have finished ,but the bay cruise is worth doing.We would take you for a tour if we were home but will be on Emerald Princess. Enjoy Eden but think small town.

i will second the cruise of the bay by Ausie53 , Cat Balou Cruises i whale watched on they do cruises and dolphin watch tours they are very informative of the local area if thats the way you want to go the whale museum is good too and walking to the look out etc near the light house , lovely area to visit i love Eden

i will second the cruise of the bay by Ausie53 , Cat Balou Cruises i whale watched on they do cruises and dolphin watch tours they are very informative of the local area if thats the way you want to go the whale museum is good too and walking to the look out etc near the light house , lovely area to visit i love Eden

Yes the Cat Balou Whale Watch cruise is great, but when we did it couple of years ago, it was a moderate sea, 4 metre swell, ok going along, but when you bobbed up and down for half an hour observing the whales, up came Uncle Les's Brekkie. Even a Force 11 gale with 10 metre seas in a Transatlantic on Aurora last year and Cape Horn in a Force 10 on Golden Princess did not do that.

Yes the Cat Balou Whale Watch cruise is great, but when we did it couple of years ago, it was a moderate sea, 4 metre swell, ok going along, but when you bobbed up and down for half an hour observing the whales, up came Uncle Les's Brekkie. Even a Force 11 gale with 10 metre seas in a Transatlantic on Aurora last year and Cape Horn in a Force 10 on Golden Princess did not do that.

ouch that no good , we had a feeding whale chasing sardines or what ever they were which decided to try and use the boat to hide behind , no that didnt help them he came up under boat and i recken lifted her a foot or a half foot up then he got a head ache and decided he wasnt hungry after that as he vanished and was not feeding any more was amazing to see , i never got sea sick thankfully , closest i got was in the bowels of the abel tasman sleeping on top deck at 3 am in the morning when we went up and sideways , thats the only time i have ever felt close to sea sick i felt like i was on a roller coaster