Cabin Sizes and Amenities

bubbulz

Another thread got me wondering about the cabin amenities and relative cabin sizes across various river cruise lines. I know all of this is probably readily available in each of the company's documentation/websites but thought that someone might have already reviewed and possibly even summarized it.

Cabin size isn't a huge consideration to me (I'm much more concerned, for example, about the comfort of the bedding), but was curious about how much variation there is.

Howdy Bubbulz,

We have so far only been on the Scenic Jasper in one of their Royal Panorama Suites and our cabin was 475 Sq.Ft.

We are cruising once again with Scenic on the newly redesigned Sapphire doing what is called The Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo for September of 2017 and in one of the new Royal Owners Suites and is 516 Sq. Ft.

Beds extremely comfortable and have a Pillow Menu to chose from. Bed has Remote control for both Head and Feet to raise and or lower. Private Butler, Daily Restocking of Mini Bar, Limo Transfers and All Inclusive.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Howdy Bubbulz,

We have so far only been on the Scenic Jasper in one of their Royal Panorama Suites and our cabin was 475 Sq.Ft.

We are cruising once again with Scenic on the newly redesigned Sapphire doing what is called The Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo for September of 2017 and in one of the new Royal Owners Suites and is 516 Sq. Ft.

Beds extremely comfortable and have a Pillow Menu to chose from. Bed has Remote control for both Head and Feet to raise and or lower. Private Butler, Daily Restocking of Mini Bar, Limo Transfers and All Inclusive.

Wow! That's huge! Sounds very nice! Our category 1 cabin on Uniworld's SS Antoinnette was 196 ft.² and our suite on thre SS Maria Theresa is 305 ft.² in comparison.

Yes we have certainly enjoyed cruising with Scenic and with being an Australian company most of the passengers are Australian and know for sure how to have a Funtastic time and down some of those froths.

Nice for me as I spent most of my younger years growing up in Melbourne. Now 66 so some time back. My mother was Australian.

As you said earlier it isn't a matter of cabin size. More a matter of having a Fun Filled Fun Packed cruising adventure.

One thing funny was like most booked with Viking but cancelled.

We Rafted with the Viking ship that we were to be on and as luck would have it the folks that were in the Explorer Suite that we were to be in were out on their balcony and we started talking and had them come over and join us for a Cocktail and when they came in and saw our cabin and found out All the Perks and the price became Fans of Scenic.

Another thread got me wondering about the cabin amenities and relative cabin sizes across various river cruise lines. I know all of this is probably readily available in each of the company's documentation/websites but thought that someone might have already reviewed and possibly even summarized it.

Cabin size isn't a huge consideration to me (I'm much more concerned, for example, about the comfort of the bedding), but was curious about how much variation there is.

As nice as lonestar's suite sounds, the standard Scenic cabins aren't nearly as big. In saying that, we were perfectly happy in a deluxe balcony suite, 225ft. That was travelling as twin, not a double too. There is plenty of storage space, and the suitcases fit under the beds. The beds don't have a remote control either, in the standard cabins, but there is still a pillow menu and the beds were very comfortable. We were perfectly happy with the size of the shower etc too, and they stock up with L'Octainne toiletries.

Plenty of room around the beds, and as the name suggests, we also had a balcony which we enjoyed. Friends were downstairs in the cabins with only port holes, and they were a lot smaller and not much room to move.

Also minibar (free), that was restocked daily but we hardly touched it as all the drinks upstairs were included.

Cabin size DOES matter to us.

Our favorite staterooms by far are the twin balcony cabins AMA offers on most of their ships. These are either 210 or 235 sq ft and they are well appointed and comfortable. We love having our private outdoor space.

The best beds we have had were on Uniworld on the Catherine. That cabin was 194 sq ft with no outside balcony. It was very nicely appointed but did feel small. IMO this was due to the heavy fabrics and decor as well as layout.

On Scenic we had a Deluxe Balcony which was 191 sq ft. The beds were great but the cabin layout was quirky. We could not open the closet doors all the way because they bumped into the bed. There was no full length mirror anywhere. To access the safe, you had to kneel on the floor as it was located on the bottom of the closet. Poorly design overall; we did like and use often the SunLounge as it converted into a real balcony.

Avalon's Panorama suites are cleverly laid out but we much prefer a real balcony to a slider.

Edited by caviargal

Cabin size DOES matter to us.

Our favorite staterooms by far are the twin balcony cabins AMA offers on most of their ships. These are either 210 or 235 sq ft and they are well appointed and comfortable. We love having our private outdoor space.

The best beds we have had were on Uniworld on the Catherine. That cabin was 194 sq ft with no outside balcony. It was very nicely appointed but did feel small. IMO this was due to the heavy fabrics and decor as well as layout.

On Scenic we had a Deluxe Balcony which was 191 sq ft. The beds were great but the cabin layout was quirky. We could not open the closet doors all the way because they bumped into the bed. There was no full length mirror anywhere. To access the safe, you had to kneel on the floor as it was located on the bottom of the closet. Poorly design overall; we did like and use often the SunLounge as it converted into a real balcony.

Avalon's Panorama suites are cleverly laid out but we much prefer a real balcony to a slider.

Agree about the outdoor space. On Uniworld, the smallest cabin we've booked so far has been 196 sq. ft. but it also had an outdoor balcony. Although I said that cabin size isn't a huge deal for us, I'm not sure I'd want to spend a week on anything smaller than that. For our next trip we actually bumped up to a suite, at 305 sq. ft. plus an open air balcony and a French balcony. Also, I think it's a good point that the decor, layout, and fabrics used can make a cabin feel even smaller than it is.

As nice as lonestar's suite sounds, the standard Scenic cabins aren't nearly as big. In saying that, we were perfectly happy in a deluxe balcony suite, 225ft. That was travelling as twin, not a double too. There is plenty of storage space, and the suitcases fit under the beds. The beds don't have a remote control either, in the standard cabins, but there is still a pillow menu and the beds were very comfortable. We were perfectly happy with the size of the shower etc too, and they stock up with L'Octainne toiletries.

Plenty of room around the beds, and as the name suggests, we also had a balcony which we enjoyed. Friends were downstairs in the cabins with only port holes, and they were a lot smaller and not much room to move.

Also minibar (free), that was restocked daily but we hardly touched it as all the drinks upstairs were included.

Thanks for all the additional info. Just having a port hole would be a deal breaker for me. I think it's a bit too claustrophobic, plus I like to be able to lie in bed and watch the shoreline go by when I wake up in the morning. :)

Thanks for all the additional info. Just having a port hole would be a deal breaker for me. I think it's a bit too claustrophobic, plus I like to be able to lie in bed and watch the shoreline go by when I wake up in the morning. :)

If that is what you want to do, Avalon should be on your list. Cabin wide opening windows with the bed positioned so you look out the window rather than at a wall. Rooms are 200 sq ft.

I guess size does matter to some, but I'm quite comfortable in the 128 sq ft cabins on one of Uniworlds older ships. The beds are very comfortable, they have the usual pillow menu as well, and you can have the bed made up the way you like....no top sheet, just the duvet, or 'American ' style with sheets and blankets.

I'd rather take two different cruises in place of the cost of staying in a suite for one cruise. All these different likes and dislikes are what makes travelling interesting and comfortable for each one of us - nothing right or wrong, just as long as your expectations are met and you are happy.

RB

I highly recommend Avalon's newer ships. All cabins on the upper decks are 200 square feet and the beds face the windows. Rooms have a minibar, and if asked, your room steward will clear it out so that you can store your own beverages there.

Avalon won Cruise Critic's 2016 Editor's picks award for Best River Cruise Line Cabins.

FuelScience

http://www.cruisecritic.com/editors-picks/river/

Once you find the Itinerary you want to sail compare each line doing that trip. Compare the price, what is included in that price. Then decide which cabin category you want and side by side compare the cabins. Look at the square footage. Last compare the number of passengers the ship carries. Remember all the newer ships are basically the same size with Viking holding 190+ to other lines 140 to 160. The higher the passenger count the more crowded the ship, dining room and crowded buses.

Make sure you understand when deposits are due vs final pmt and be aware that your deposit in many (most?) is not refundable. And one line requires full payment usually 30 days after booking even if the cruise is a year or more away.

Lastly, that famous 2 for 1 pricing is not a special deal they offer it non stop and that is the per person price.

Ok I'm done!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal