Is this best decision

andymattmom

Yes I know this is discussed all the time. We are flying into FLL the day before our cruise out of Miami. I had originally book the Brickell area Hampton in Miami thinking we'd get to Miami the day we fly on. I still have that reservation. We'd have the cost from FLL to hotel and then to Port. The hotel is about $192 with taxes. So I'd have to add the cost of transportation.

After reading more here I'm thinking FLL is the better option and most recommended. I found the Hyatt Place through valuetrips and made a reservation through them, I just did that and understand it takes a few days. The rate on this hotel is listed as $129 so I'm assuming there'd be taxes too. I believe this hotel has free shuttle from airport. We'd then just have cost from hotel to POM the next morning.

Just a couple questions. The second option is my best choice based on most advice given here, correct? I've never used valuetrips but see goo experiences here. Do they give you the undesirable rooms like Priceline? Any negative experiences??

Thanks

There really aren't any undesirable rooms at Hyatt Place. Usually large less budget friendly hotels offer their lesser rooms. Sounds like you are going in off season with that nice rate. If you are using a shared shuttle service to POM, that you check that they stop at the Hyatt to pick you up. (Or you will need a cab/ uber to the port, or a ride back to FLL to pick up a shuttle to your ship. )

The choice you make is entirely yours. We prefer heading right to Miami when we arrive in FLL if using POM. But we have spent many days in Ft. L in the past. So we like exploring more of the Miami/ Miami beach area when we have some time. Too, DH likes to go to bed at night knowing we are not on any particular schedule to get to the port. He likes a nice leisurely late breakfast and time for our daily walk before heading to the port.

So we always head to the port city if we have the day or days to spend precruise. But certainly others feel differently. No "right" answer.

Have fun!

What time does your flight arrive into FLL? :confused: If you are arriving late and will not have time to enjoy dinner/drinks out in Miami then choosing Hyatt is an easy call.

You can use Uber from FLL to Miami for about $40 if your party and bags can fit into a standard Uber. From Hyatt to POM you can use a shared shuttle (SAS, QLS, MJS, etc.) for about $15 per person.

What appears to be the majority opinion of contributors to an anonymous message board community is hardly automatically the best advice for anyone's specific situation.

As John indicated above, what time your flight arrives is a factor to consider in your specific situation. If arriving early afternoon (or earlier) my decision would be to get the drive to Miami accomplished that day rather than the next morning. The Hampton Inn Brickell is amidst more interesting dining and shopping that appeals to locals more than targeting the tourist market. A pretty good breakfast and internet included.

Yes you will have to arrange your own transport both days but private shuttles are considerably more reliable than hotel-operated. But if overall cost is the number one factor for you (which you hint at but not explicitly in your opening post) the Hyatt Place is fine though requiring a much earlier start for you on sailaway morning.

Took four days and the confirmation from valuetrips came. It's only $50 more for the stay in Miami. Looking at SW airlines it looks like our flights would be getting in mid morning in FLL, they haven't released dates we need yet. If times stay like that after reading more and more other posts I think miami might have more to do. I'm keeping both reservations and will see when flights are purchased which is hopefully next month!

Thanks for the replies

Took four days and the confirmation from valuetrips came. It's only $50 more for the stay in Miami. Looking at SW airlines it looks like our flights would be getting in mid morning in FLL, they haven't released dates we need yet. If times stay like that after reading more and more other posts I think miami might have more to do. I'm keeping both reservations and will see when flights are purchased which is hopefully next month!

Thanks for the replies

Southwest is opening up the next window for flights on November 1. Book as early as possible that day (for us, the flights opened up around 6:00 am). The prices immediately start climbing -- especially for the return flight. They haven't come down from what I paid the morning they opened up and I check at least once a week.

We also stay in Miami. I like being closer to port.

Good luck!

Southwest is opening up the next window for flights on November 1. Book as early as possible that day (for us, the flights opened up around 6:00 am). The prices immediately start climbing -- especially for the return flight. They haven't come down from what I paid the morning they opened up and I check at least once a week.

We also stay in Miami. I like being closer to port.

Good luck!

I'm patiently waiting for November 1!! Plan on getting our tickets and EBCI that day. I always check like you do to see if they go down. Last year they did some but know it usually doesn't happen.

Thanks

Thank you so much for providing that link! I have booked this now after much prevaricating. We live in Cheshire in the UK!

You're welcome! Be sure to sign up for the shuttle to the port when you check in. There is a very good restaurant downstairs from the hotel called Batch Gastropub...we had lunch there, we liked it so much, we had dinner, too!!

We like staying the night before our cruise closer to the port it is leaving. You can't rely on traffic or other freak of nature issue that might arise.

That being said. We are staying at that Hampton Inn in December. It get very good reviews. I'll find out in December.

We also found staying in area of port is best, our very first cruise we stayed in FLL cause our flight was late, we had a private shuttle to POM AND THE driver was aware of an accident and took us through town route, it was great he knew this and we had no one else to pick up, the accident had fatalities and was a 4.5 delay, some people missed the ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also found staying in area of port is best, our very first cruise we stayed in FLL cause our flight was late, we had a private shuttle to POM AND THE driver was aware of an accident and took us through town route, it was great he knew this and we had no one else to pick up, the accident had fatalities and was a 4.5 delay, some people missed the ship!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, if there is a bad accident, the police will shut down I-95 in all lanes in that direction. Either the northbound or southbound lane of I95 can be completely shutdown for hours and it is a parking lot.

The shoulders of the interstate between Fort Lauderdale and Miami aren't wide enough for rescue workers to safely work an accident so they just shut down the interstate.

Edited by BlueHerons