Norovirus outbreak on Vista

les37b

In March on the Breeze, 3 out of 13 of us had Noro symptoms (all 3 in different cabins). In our cabin it was my 15 year old and for three days we confined him to the cabin because he was so sick. Our poor cabin steward was beside himself wanting to get in our cabin to clean :p

I ,m sure this is what I caught on Superbowl sunday a few years back ,ship sailed the day before on Saturday..i felt sick at half time,went to the cabin and stayed on the commode for the entire second half of the game feeling like I was dying nothing I have ever had before,my roommate came to check on me ,I asked her to go to the ship store ,she did ,there were 2 stores all shelves bare of stomach remedies,she was told many were sick,i waited till we stopped in belize to get Imodium from the store there,even after imodium everytime I ate it made me feel real sick,this was on the Dream..i emailed Carnival when we returned and told them they need to stock there stores better ,they said they did not own these on board stores and would pass this along...I truly believe they new Noro was on board..and brushed it under the rug...anyone that says oh why didn't you go to doc,cause I didn't think I had it till it didn't start to go away till the 5th day of a 7 day cruise...at least I didn't gain any weight on this 1..and yes I would still sail on Carnival ..just bring Imodium

• 11 months later...

We traveled on the vista in August 2016 and when we came of the ship my husband began to feel unwell he ended up in hospital with liver failure and it turned out he had contracted hepatitis E from the Carnival vista I’m just wondering if anyone else got sick in August x

Perhaps a question mark at the end of the original thread title might have been a good thing. I might help a so far false rumor from spreading like noro.

Perhaps if you’d suggested that a year ago when the alleged outbreak took place, it might have been useful, though the post spells out it’s a unconfirmed and a question. But never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps if you’d suggested that a year ago when the alleged outbreak took place, it might have been useful, though the post spells out it’s a unconfirmed and a question. But never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. On the never mind part. Why people drag up old threads is another question?

I ,m sure this is what I caught on Superbowl sunday a few years back ,ship sailed the day before on Saturday..i felt sick at half time,went to the cabin and stayed on the commode for the entire second half of the game feeling like I was dying nothing I have ever had before,my roommate came to check on me ,I asked her to go to the ship store ,she did ,there were 2 stores all shelves bare of stomach remedies,she was told many were sick,i waited till we stopped in belize to get Imodium from the store there,even after imodium everytime I ate it made me feel real sick,this was on the Dream..i emailed Carnival when we returned and told them they need to stock there stores better ,they said they did not own these on board stores and would pass this along...I truly believe they new Noro was on board..and brushed it under the rug...anyone that says oh why didn't you go to doc,cause I didn't think I had it till it didn't start to go away till the 5th day of a 7 day cruise...at least I didn't gain any weight on this 1..and yes I would still sail on Carnival ..just bring Imodium

Actually, you do not want to impede a Norovirus from leaving your body so taking Imodium is counterproductive. The virus runs its course in 24 - 48 hours and staying hydrated is the remedy. If you did have a Norovirus, once your symptoms stopped, you remained contagious for 7-10 days. By not reporting to the Medical Center, you were not quarantined thus brushed it under the rug yourself.

I agree. On the never mind part. Why people drag up old threads is another question?

Well in this instance, it was someone who travelled on Vista in August 2016 and contracted Hepatitis and was asking if anyone else did too.

I still think it’s only a rumour that a member of staff posted about contracting fun! lol

I’m not a member of staff I have all the hospital letters from doctors my husband was very ill from hepatitis E and as for the ? Mark I have only found this site writher it was last year or not I’m going Bly letting you know and asking if anyone else had the same hope that answers your questions?

I’m not a member of staff I have all the hospital letters from doctors my husband was very ill from hepatitis E and as for the ? Mark I have only found this site writher it was last year or not I’m going Bly letting you know and asking if anyone else had the same hope that answers your questions?

While I don't doubt the diagnosis, or the letter from the doctor that he had hep e, my question is, how did the doctor determine that he contracted hep e "from the carnival vista" as you post, and not from some other source? The most common source of hep e is contaminated drinking water, and given the potable water sanitation protocols on the ships, I don't see this as likely.

Hello my husband got it from eating shellfish and as his liver was failing fast and they done all the tests that they thought was causing it they ask us had we done anything different and we then told them that we were on a cruise they ask did he eat shellfish and my husband replied yes every day and they then knew what to do his blood samples were then sent to kings in London and it was there that it was confirmed hep E if you read it takes a parasite 15-60 days to incubate and that’s is what happened to my husband .

Hello my husband got it from eating shellfish and as his liver was failing fast and they done all the tests that they thought was causing it they ask us had we done anything different and we then told them that we were on a cruise they ask did he eat shellfish and my husband replied yes every day and they then knew what to do his blood samples were then sent to kings in London and it was there that it was confirmed hep E if you read it takes a parasite 15-60 days to incubate and that’s is what happened to my husband .

If it was raw shellfish, then yes it can come from that, and it seems to be very prevalent in European waters. Not sure where this cruise was, but USPH/CDC requires certified suppliers of shellfish stock, with harvesting labels (to be kept for a prescribed period), to ensure that the shellfish have been tested (but there can always be a problem in the supply chain), and that a warning be on the menu regarding the eating of raw or undercooked foods. Either way, I don't see this as Carnival's fault, if they were keeping to either the USPH/CDC VSP or the EU's ShipSan sanitation programs with regards to shellfish.

If it was raw shellfish, then yes it can come from that, and it seems to be very prevalent in European waters. Not sure where this cruise was, but USPH/CDC requires certified suppliers of shellfish stock, with harvesting labels (to be kept for a prescribed period), to ensure that the shellfish have been tested (but there can always be a problem in the supply chain), and that a warning be on the menu regarding the eating of raw or undercooked foods. Either way, I don't see this as Carnival's fault, if they were keeping to either the USPH/CDC VSP or the EU's ShipSan sanitation programs with regards to shellfish.

It was in the Mediterranean.

And you know the shellfish was being kept to these standards you mention, because......?

Just to let you know since you seem to know a lot it was on the Mediterranean and my husband never ate raw shellfish everything he did eat was cooked he did feel sick one of the days but just put it down to the heat it was after we left the ship is when his health started to go down we didn’t know what it was it was the hospital consultant that told him what it was and it took a full week to get all the results which we were very glad after medication he started to improve

It was in the Mediterranean.

And you know the shellfish was being kept to these standards you mention, because......?

Well, in the EU it is up to each member nation to maintain and inspect their shellfish suppliers, and to revoke any license of any supplier that does not submit all catch to testing, per the local laws. Perhaps the shellfish regulations are less stringent in the EU, but I believe that ShipSan, the EU's cruise ship sanitation program has stringent shellfish receiving, storage, handling, and cooking requirements, and the ship's work very hard to maintain these standards as they are subject to spot inspections and can lose their ability to carry passengers to various countries if they are found not to be maintaining the standards. While studies on cooking to kill hep e are few and far between, generally cooking to 70*C for 5 minutes is presumed to kill most hep e, unless the food is heavily infested (more common in pig offal).

Well thankyou for that reply but it still dosent change the fact that my husband contracted hep E and was very ill and it was from the time we were on Carnival Vista around the Mediterranean and I have just found this site and asking if anyone else had anything like this ? On board the Vista.

Well, in the EU it is up to each member nation to maintain and inspect their shellfish suppliers, and to revoke any license of any supplier that does not submit all catch to testing, per the local laws. Perhaps the shellfish regulations are less stringent in the EU, but I believe that ShipSan, the EU's cruise ship sanitation program has stringent shellfish receiving, storage, handling, and cooking requirements, and the ship's work very hard to maintain these standards as they are subject to spot inspections and can lose their ability to carry passengers to various countries if they are found not to be maintaining the standards. While studies on cooking to kill hep e are few and far between, generally cooking to 70*C for 5 minutes is presumed to kill most hep e, unless the food is heavily infested (more common in pig offal).

And I will repeat my question as it doesn’t seem it was understood.

The suppliers may well have followed all the guidelines but if the staff on Vista didn’t deal with the product in good time and store correctly, then it’s certainly not the fault of the EU or it’s suppliers and you are I are not in a position to claim otherwise.

Furthermore, I’m aware of much higher quality CL who’ve been caught out by this and in North American waters and quite recently.

My guess is it was contracted on land. Most common source seems to be contaminated drinking water:

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hev/hevfaq.htm

Anyone but Carnival eh?

You post a link which seems to suggest your claim is highly improbably... unless of course you’re suggesting Europe is “developing countries”.

Anyone but Carnival eh?

You post a link which seems to suggest your claim is highly improbably... unless of course you’re suggesting Europe is “developing countries”.

A quick google search on Hep E and cruise ships only comes up with 2 documented cases ever. Seems far more likely that it wasn't Carnival's doing.

A quick google search on Hep E and cruise ships only comes up with 2 documented cases ever. Seems far more likely that it wasn't Carnival's doing.

Well maybe do more than a quick search. I just put in hepatitisE cruise ships and its come up with 92000 hits

Move along.....not Carnivals fault..... Nothing here to see... :D

And no, for the record I'm not suggesting I know Carnival are to blame. Just that I'm not a fan boy and will look at things more subjectively than a flag waiver.