NCL Raiseing drink Prices?

orian_m42

Back in the day, when the UBP was not offered for free, and the limit was $11, drinks with grey goose were over the limit, and back then you couldn't just pay the difference. I just asked the bartenders to substitute another brand of vodka. I've had dark and stormies with different brands of rum.

Does anyone know if this applies to the Chocolate Martini? All I've seen is the $18.95 price, and no mention of the brand of liquor in the drink. Can one be made at all that is fully covered by the UBP and if so, how should we ask for it to be made?

Get this, Dark and Stormies are now back and included in the UBP but no other drinks made with Goslings. Apparently Bermuda put up a stink about it and NCL made an exception for the Dark and Stormy. I had them in September. Also Grey Goose is included but not the flavored Grey Goose Vodkas(strange).

Does anyone know if this applies to the Chocolate Martini? All I've seen is the $18.95 price, and no mention of the brand of liquor in the drink. Can one be made at all that is fully covered by the UBP and if so, how should we ask for it to be made?

It's vodka, baileys, and chocolate liquor.

I am wondering where you are getting your information? As for unethical, I am sure they will adjust the UBP if your information is indeed true. I do think I would wait to see what happens since you will not be cruising for 7 more months. A lot of things would happen between now and then.

I am not sure I agree. Since very few without a UBP are willing to pay $17-$18 for a slightly premium cocktail on cruise ship you would expect any price changes come with the intention of squeezing slightly more money out of every drink you consume. I was good for the most part as long as the Grey Goose was still there in replacement for the $17 Belvedere. IF this becomes an all you can drink well liquors and house wines and that's a game changer and it's over in my opinion.

Getting the free UBP cost me $800 additional on the last cruise. $200 service charge and $600 for a porthole so I could two perks. It would have cost $2600 for basic inside room with free extra passenger benefit but paid $3400 for porthole simply to get UBP included for first two people.

On last cruise ANY vodka chocolate Martini was $17.95.

Edited by westcoastman

Has it gone up to $18.95 already? :confused: In August the menu on the Star said: "Espresso or Chocolate Martini $17.95, made with your favorite vodka, Lavazza coffee or chocolate". I never ordered one, but it sounds like it's the same price whatever brand of vodka you choose.

Please limit such observations to the facts and not to speculation. There are already too many people frothing at the mouth here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

my thoughts exactly and when we are given the list, the correct one about premium drinks I think most are ones that very few cruisers ever drink. It isn't going to affect the average drinker. As long as there is a decent selection, a middle of the road vodka, scotch, and gin available, as well as a few wine choices, I am sure most of us will be just fine.

I am not sure I agree. Since very few without a UBP are willing to pay $17-$18 for a slightly premium cocktail on cruise ship you would expect any price changes come with the intention of squeezing slightly more money out of every drink you consume. I was good for the most part as long as the Grey Goose was still there in replacement for the $17 Belvedere. IF this becomes an all you can drink well liquors and house wines and that's a game changer and it's over in my opinion.

Getting the free UBP cost me $800 additional on the last cruise. $200 service charge and $600 for a porthole so I could two perks. It would have cost $2600 for basic inside room with free extra passenger benefit but paid $3400 for porthole simply to get UBP included for first two people.

you certainly could be right. I guess I will find out in 3 plus weeks. Of course for us; we are pretty simple drinkers so I am sure we will be just fine. For others, it is too bad they may end up not being able to get the drink of their choice with any beverage package.

With 18% auto grat this is over $22. Does anyone else think that this is a ridiculous price for a drink?

As for Dark and Stormy at $17.95, I can buy a bottle of Gosselings for $10 a bottle (duty free).

NCL should be embarrassed to charge those prices.

Lois

wow,from 11 to 30 that is a huge increase. I have never heard of any increase like that?
I'm guessing wdsted was talking about Don Julio 1942, and I think they would agree that $11 was an anomalously low price for that brand. The same shot costs $30+ in bars on land, so being able to get it for $15+18% with the UBP now is still an attractive deal. As long as you stop thinking about how it only cost 50¢ last year…

Same goes for several other ultra premium brands (JW Blue, Rémy Martin XO, etc.) It was nice while it lasted. :(

Anyone know if you can get a Cosmo made with Grey Goose or Absolute included in the UBP. I know the ciroc cosmo is extra - but an ordinary cosmo?

Its my hubby's tipple - he rarely drinks beers - cosmos or bubbly - think he is in touch with his feminine side :D

Thank you westcoastman for seeing my point yes were on a wait and see since were 7 months away from our cruise. But if I had to predict what was going to happen NCL will continue to raise drink prices across the board until we're paying just about the same amount as drinks on any other Cruise Line with our UBP promotion

Sent from my SM-N900P using Forums mobile app

But if I had to predict what was going to happen NCL will continue to raise drink prices across the board until we're paying just about the same amount as drinks on any other Cruise Line with our UBP promotion
It really depends what you plan to drink. There will always be choices that are fully included in your UBP (beer, house wine, call brands), and you can have as much of those as you want. But look at the current drink menus, and anything that costs $10 now could very well be over $15 by the time you sail.

No one forces you to buy. NCL sets the drink price. You decide to buy or don't buy. That's precisely how free market work.

The problem is they change the prices after you buy. When I purchased my March, 2015 cruise there were over 40 wines by the glass on the UBP, when I sailed there were about 14. When I booked my December cruise many Super and Ultra premium liquors were included, when I sail they won't be. They also changed policy after my booking so I now cannot bring soda or water, but that is another story....

Anyone know if you can get a Cosmo made with Grey Goose or Absolute included in the UBP. I know the ciroc cosmo is extra - but an ordinary cosmo?

Its my hubby's tipple - he rarely drinks beers - cosmos or bubbly - think he is in touch with his feminine side :D

Yes, no problem. I drank more than a couple of cosmos 2 weeks ago with no extra charge. Enjoy!!

Has it gone up to $18.95 already? :confused: In August the menu on the Star said: "Espresso or Chocolate Martini $17.95, made with your favorite vodka, Lavazza coffee or chocolate". I never ordered one, but it sounds like it's the same price whatever brand of vodka you choose.

The $18.95 came from my (faulty) memory. If a recent menu says $17.95 then that's what it is. Disappointing that you can't get one made with a non-premium vodka though and have it covered by the UBP.

With 18% auto grat this is over $22. Does anyone else think that this is a ridiculous price for a drink?

As for Dark and Stormy at $17.95, I can buy a bottle of Gosselings for $10 a bottle (duty free).

NCL should be embarrassed to charge those prices.

I thought $11 was too much for a drink. That's why we rarely drink on the ship .... we'll go into port and have a drink. I'm not paying $11 for a $5.50 drink, and I'm certainly not paying $22 for a $5.50 drink.

Until people stop paying it they will continue to increase the price.

Until people stop paying it they will continue to increase the price.

I think very few people are paying the "list" price for drinks. Many people feel they are really getting drinks for free with the promo UBP, not me. NCL now has people like me, who like to drink on a cruise, hostage into taking the UBP. I tried to justify it by thinking non-UBP promo takers are probably subsidizing my drinking. But with all the recent cutbacks in the value of the UBP I will probably go back to ordering a bottle of what I want in the cabin.

Embarrassed? Why? No one forces you to buy. NCL sets the drink price. You decide to buy or don't buy. That's precisely how free market work.

To work, the free market requires competition. Unless there's another bar onboard owned by someone else it's not free market, it's a local monopoly.

NCL did recently raise the price of many drinks and spirits over and above the $15 range... That's not to say they couldn't do this again in the near future, their policies have been a rapidly moving target for the past couple of years now... In fact, one of my favorite tequilas has gone from $11 a year ago, to $29.95 now, so nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to their bar pricing...

So what were these drinks?

gary