Really having a hard time with Roatan

perlgirlnj

I've read many, many threads both here and on TripAdvisor and I still can't find a beach resort that appeals to me. What am I missing? I want:

--Good quality beach

--Shade available a MUST

--Not to be hassled by vendors

--Not to be eaten by sand flies

--Less crowded (good luck to me with a port load of 15k)

--Quiet (non-party atmosphere)

--Clean restrooms

--SAFE

--Reliable transportation

--Not going to snorkel so that doesn't matter.

--Don't care if it's AI or not; no preference.

I can't find anything that fits the bill. What's my best compromise option? Thanks!

Edited by perlgirlnj

I don't know anyplace on the island without sand fleas. I use deep woods off and am not bothered.

The West End, lee ward side of the island has the calm water, beautiful beaches ans plenty of people but if you are not going to snorkle perhaps that doesn't matter.

I have found the bugs to be slightly less of a worry in the Paya Bay, Camp Bay area, both are on the east end, both have have empty beach. There are waves, not so much with the calm water.

Paya Bay is a resort, they may provide transport.Camp Bay Lodge may do the same thing.

Both are a healthy 30/40 mins from the port.

Many of the resorts between West End and Paya Bay have less than what I would consider quality beach. Many on the wind ward side of the island have man made lagoons, Fantasy Island and Parrot Tree.

If transport is not provided, many of the tour companies offer private drivers.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

@perlgirlnj I'm having the same problem... I did consider Little French Key but they never responded to my inquiries so now not sure what to do on Roatan.

I'd welcome information on other beach areas.. I looked at TripAdvisor as well, which had led me to Little French Key.

"Not get eaten by sand fleas"...... well, here is the bad news... there are no guarantees in Roatan. Anywhere on Roatan....

Sand fleas live in the sand, obviously, but they are cyclical. They are worst about a week after lots of rain, but they are always there. Remember, Roatan is a JUNGLE, a tropical jungle, so you are going to get insects.

Your best prevention is the use a spray or oil that they don't like... some people use Avon skinsosoft, we always have loved Cactus Juice (natural, order online). The big thing is the use it every time you get out of the water. DEET is harmful for environment, toxic on some people's skin (I hate it, burns like heck).

I would look at going to Maya Key. We did it 2 years ago and loved it. Lots of shade, nice buffet lunch, pool, small beach, tropical atmosphere but it wasn't too busy that day so plenty of room and chairs.

Edited by ABQrobin

@ABQRobin I'm looking for information on Maya Key and can't find anything regarding a day pass for the resort. I did send an e-mail to them to find out more...

Any idea of how to get a day pass reservation?

@ABQRobin I'm looking for information on Maya Key and can't find anything regarding a day pass for the resort. I did send an e-mail to them to find out more...

You have to book through your cruise line. Years ago you used to be able to go independently but not any more.

I've read many, many threads both here and on TripAdvisor and I still can't find a beach resort that appeals to me. What am I missing? I want:

--Good quality beach

--Shade available a MUST

--Not to be hassled by vendors

--Not to be eaten by sand flies

--Less crowded (good luck to me with a port load of 15k)

--Quiet (non-party atmosphere)

--Clean restrooms

--SAFE

--Reliable transportation

--Not going to snorkel so that doesn't matter.

--Don't care if it's AI or not; no preference.

I can't find anything that fits the bill. What's my best compromise option? Thanks!

As has been said you are not going to get any place on Roatan that will include all those criteria, most significantly a guarantee "not to be eaten by sand flies".

Your best compromise option will depend on what you personally consider most important. If you let us know what are your absolute "must haves" it will be easier to offer suggestions.

You have to book through your cruise line. Years ago you used to be able to go independently but not any more.

Thank you cleg5. I'll forego that then.. We are looking for options that won't require us to be up and out super early... Since it's a workout day we won't be able to leave the ship until 10:30-11:00.

Why do ships dock at 7:00 a.m.? Who wants to get up work early on a vacation?

Thank you cleg5. I'll forego that then.. We are looking for options that won't require us to be up and out super early... Since it's a workout day we won't be able to leave the ship until 10:30-11:00.

Why do ships dock at 7:00 a.m.? Who wants to get up work early on a vacation?

If this is for your liberty of the seas excursion I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it.

The small boat departs from within the port area for the 5 minute trip to Maya Kay. Although it may seem expensive initially, transport to any where on Roatan is expensive if there are only two in your party so the fact that transport is included, hassle free and the excursion includes lunch can make this a viable option.

I cannot remember if an excursion time was listed last time we went ( we have been both through the ship and, years ago, independently) but as I said the boat ride is only about 5 minutes and the boat returns regularly (maybe every 30 minutes?) from the island so I would think you could check with excursion desk on board to see if you could take a ride later in the day. It us not a set length excursion so I would imagine you could come and go when you wanted within reason.

You have to book through your cruise ship. It isn't really a resort, it is an actual island owned by Anthony's Key Resort. They allow cruise ship passengers to use it on certain days, then it is available for the resort guests on days when no ships are in port.

• 2 weeks later...