Excursion age limits

pacurnl

We are booked on a Reflection cruise 02/17. We were sent an e-mail about 3 discounted excursions, to be booked now, paid for now. The excursion for Puerto Rico was to get a drink, and walk around for 90 minutes. There was an age limit of 18 and 67. I understand the 18 limit, but why the under 67? Any body have any ideas? I'm rather miffed at this! Seems too odd!

Trish

That's very odd. Is it a literally age requirement or a recommended age? My only guess would possibly be that it's not good for people with mobility issues, but surely they wouldn't stop a healthy 68 year old from participating??

What is the name of the excursion?

Edited by sanger727

I've seen a similar restriction on one of the excursions I'm looking at for our upcoming Asia cruise, here is what it says verbatim:

Important Notes

- Guests must be able to walk approximately up to a mile over uneven terrain and few steps.

- Comfortable shoes are recommended.

Restrictions

- Minimum Age: 7 years

- Maximum Age: 65 years

Advisements

- Must Transfer from Wheelchair

- Meals

I've met some VERY active and adventurous 65 plus year olds so restricting people from a tour solely based on their (maximum) age seems strange.

The age [and sometimes weight; even when neither seems to make a whole lot of sense] limits and activity ratings [ie; mild/moderate/strenuous] are set by the tour operator and not the cruise line... Not to defend the practices but I believe they may be dictated by restrictions--however strange to us--that are placed on the tour operators by their local liability insurance carriers...

cruiserke;51401574']I've seen a similar restriction on one of the excursions I'm looking at for our upcoming Asia cruise' date=' here is what it says verbatim:

I've met some VERY active and adventurous 65 plus year olds so restricting people from a tour solely based on their (maximum) age seems strange.[/quote']

I am 68 and DW and I are both over 65. While in Skagway, we did a White Pass Rail trip along with a hike in the Rain Forest that was 6.2 miles. It was over terrain far more difficult than city streets. DW and I bike 30 mies or walk 3.25 miles three or four times a week and would resent any restriction on age, especially if the excursion only included up to a mile walk.

We are booked on a Reflection cruise 02/17. We were sent an e-mail about 3 discounted excursions, to be booked now, paid for now. The excursion for Puerto Rico was to get a drink, and walk around for 90 minutes. There was an age limit of 18 and 67. I understand the 18 limit, but why the under 67? Any body have any ideas? I'm rather miffed at this! Seems too odd!

Trish

By coincidence, I was going to ask the same question re this excursion. Puerto Rico does have some cobblestoned and hilly streets which are cumbersome for even the most healthy to walk for a long period of time. I am a long distance walker but DH has back problems and doesn't like to walk too far; we have navigated between the two PR forts, which are somewhat far apart, through high and winding streets with uneven surfaces, in the sizzling heat, and we are over 67. I can't see anything in this particular excursion which would prevent enjoyment for most seniors.

Edited by oceangoer2

That does not make sense at all.. Good grief , do they think people fall apart when they retire?? My husband is 68 and plays hockey 5 days a week

I have been on tours with people who pay no attention to the restrictions and get away with it thus slowing all the able bodied people down almost to a stop . And then they complain that the tour was no 'safe' for them

I do think tour operators/insurance companies are so scared of liability claims they (in their minds) are ruling out 'risky' passengers. In actual fact a teenager is less likely to look where they are going, more likely to climb and fall....

I struggle with the clauses on lots of excursions simply by reading the 'not suitable for people with a history of back, knee or shoulder problems'. Most people by sixty, and many before, will have been treated for a condition of at least one of them! I look at the excursions themselves and they don't seem that risky and I am tempted to try...The snag being if I do one of these excursions and do slip, fall...both the tour operator and my medical insurance have a reason not to pay...

While I'm getting up there in age, I too am physically fit and active and will not be happy when the time comes when I'm prohibited from an excursion due to age. That said, I recall in the past being on a few excursions that were listed as strenuous with X miles of walking only to see a couple people show up that had difficulty getting on the bus (and no, they were not able to handle the physical requirements of the excursion). While the age restriction may be arbitrary, it may be the best they can do instead of singling people out who are not physically capable when you meet for an excursion.