First time to Alaska

Dalton5

We are taking our first cruise to Alaska in May.

I am trying to make plans for our day in Skagway and am looking at taking the Chilkoot train and bus trip to the Yukon territory. We are in port from 7am to 8:30. It is a 7 1/2 excursion. Will we still have enough time to enjoy some of the sights in town?

Thanks

You will love Skagway! So much to see and do.. if you have booked the tour through the cruiseline you will be picked up and dropped off at the dock. All tours we have taken have given us the option of dropping us off in Skagway, so if your tour leaves at 9:00 ish you should have lots of time to explore Skagway and get back to the ship at least 30 minutes prior to departure. Be sure to visit the Red Onion Saloon!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am trying to make plans for our day in Skagway and am looking at taking the Chilkoot train and bus trip to the Yukon territory. We are in port from 7am to 8:30. It is a 7 1/2 excursion. Will we still have enough time to enjoy some of the sights in town?

Thanks

We booked directly through Chilkoot Charters & Tours. We took the bus up and the train back. When we arrived back in Skagway we were given the option to walked back to the ship through town (about 1/2 mile or so) or take their bus back. We opted for the bus but there was plenty of time to walk and explore.

We booked directly through Chilkoot Charters & Tours. We took the bus up and the train back. When we arrived back in Skagway we were given the option to walked back to the ship through town (about 1/2 mile or so) or take their bus back. We opted for the bus but there was plenty of time to walk and explore.

This is the company we want to go with, except we are thinking about doing the train up and the bus back.

Is there fog every morning that would make the viewing not so great?

This is all new to us...Ask me about a Caribbean cruise and I know what I'm doing...lol

This is the company we want to go with, except we are thinking about doing the train up and the bus back.

Is there fog every morning that would make the viewing not so great?

I would recommend taking the bus up first and taking the train back down in the afternoon. We’ve done both and there is a pretty good chance of there being a lot of fog in the valley going up. If you ride the train up in the morning be sure to sit on the left side of the train, coming back down be on the right side of the train. I like to sit close to the door so can go out and stand out on the platform.

I would recommend taking the bus up first and taking the train back down in the afternoon. We’ve done both and there is a pretty good chance of there being a lot of fog in the valley going up. If you ride the train up in the morning be sure to sit on the left side of the train, coming back down be on the right side of the train. I like to sit close to the door so can go out and stand out on the platform.

Thanks for the info

Thanks

Why don't you contact the tour operator and ask them what time you leave and what time you get back. They you will be able to answer your own question.

DON

Why don't you contact the tour operator and ask them what time you leave and what time you get back. They you will be able to answer your own question.

DON

Hi Don,

Are you having a bad day? Snarky answers are not necessary. I thought these boards were for asking questions. :confused:

I know how long we will be on the excursion. Perhaps I should have asked "Is there so much to see and do in Skagway, that we won't have enough time left over from a long excursion to enjoy the sights?"

Better? :rolleyes:

Peace and Love...

Thanks everyone.

Because of all the helpful answers, we were able to make an informed decision.

We just booked and will be taking the bus up and the train back.

So incredibly excited for this trip :D

Thanks everyone.

Because of all the helpful answers, we were able to make an informed decision.

We just booked and will be taking the bus up and the train back.

So incredibly excited for this trip :D

I think you've made a good decision. Does that trip include a lunch at You'll enjoy the trip. What ship are going up on?

Edited by Eaglecw

I think you've made a good decision. Does that trip include a lunch at You'll enjoy the trip. What ship are going up on?

Thanks. It does include lunch. We are going on RC Explorer of the Seas. It will be our third time on this ship. Each time from a different port.

edited to add: I see you have taken many cruises to Alaska :) I'm hoping this will be us someday!

Edited by Dalton5

Thanks. It does include lunch. We are going on RC Explorer of the Seas. It will be our third time on this ship. Each time from a different port.

edited to add: I see you have taken many cruises to Alaska :) I'm hoping this will be us someday!

Here's a link to Caribou crossing http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/cafe.html#

A number of years ago my wife dragged me on a cruise to Alaska, I loved it and now we go every year, sometimes twice. Living in the Seattle area makes it a little to handy to get on a cruise ship bound for Alaska.

Edited by Eaglecw

Is there an equal amount to to walk around and look at in Haines as Skagway? The idea of reserving a ferry in dance for $71 seems like more than I want to plan for. I have a morning excursion and we don't sail from Haines until about 9 pm.

No, there is not as much to walk around and look at in Haines. We have been there a number of times on excursions, I would not take the ferry to Haines if I didn’t have an excursion there.

Here's a link to Caribou crossing http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/cafe.html#

A number of years ago my wife dragged me on a cruise to Alaska, I loved it and now we go every year, sometimes twice. Living in the Seattle area makes it a little to handy to get on a cruise ship bound for Alaska.

Cool...thanks for the link

It must be a wife thing...This is a bucket list item for me and I feel like I'm dragging my hubby with me. Hopefully he will adopt your attitude towards it!

Not sure how often we could repeat. Airfare from Cleveland to Seattle get costly.

> I feel like I'm dragging my hubby with me

Definitely a wife thing. My DH doesn't care about seeing new places and hates spending money with a passion. But he loves me so we went on a Caribbean cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary and are cruising to Alaska next year. My SIL is dragging DH's brother along on the same cruise, so at least they will be able to commiserate with each other. lol

> I feel like I'm dragging my hubby with me

Definitely a wife thing. My DH doesn't care about seeing new places and hates spending money with a passion. But he loves me so we went on a Caribbean cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary and are cruising to Alaska next year. My SIL is dragging DH's brother along on the same cruise, so at least they will be able to commiserate with each other. lol

Lol...My DH really does like visiting new places. But since we live in the snowbelt of Ohio and will just be getting warm in May, he thinks I'm crazy for wanting to go somewhere that might be cold or at least cooler then here. He doesn't deal well with cold temps. As a compromise, we have also booked a quick cruise to the Bahamas in Feb. Best of both worlds....

Our ship docks in Haines so the ferry I would have to reserve in advance would be to Skagway. I have a mornin excursion booked. I'm not sure I can guess booking times. I wish it was more like a taxi or just take the ferry when you want to.

A taxi between Haines and Skagway would take 7 - 8 hours EACH WAY! :eek: You can get there by road, but it's a long drive. Thus, the ferry. However, ferry space is limited, so you really need reservations.

Is your morning excursion in Haines? If so, it's probably not worth the time and expense to go over to Skagway just to wander around and shop. I'd take advantage of being in Haines (not many ships stop there!) and find something else to do there in the afternoon.