Adventure of the Seas Drydock - Any updates?

We are on the 12/9 sailing. I am pretty bummed - have enjoyed Chops on the Anthem and Quantum and was looking forward to it, and to Izumi, which we loved to break up the monotony a bit.

Equally bummed that we are in a GS-category and it sounds like the new lounge won't be open yet. No slides either, and I am an overgrown kid who was planning on trying the darned things.

Would accept the lot for the 25% off, and fingers crossed, frankly, that we get that too, since it sounds to me like unless something drastic changes during this week's sailing, we are in old non-refurbed rooms with a lot of the ship's areas under construction, which isn't what we signed up for when we made final payment.

Fingers crossed, and much thanks to the last round of cruisers for all the great info. Keep it coming!

Are you on the 12/10 sailing?

While Chops and Izumi are missing, the Chef's Table appears to have a really nice menu so you might consider it as an alternative.

The current CL is just fine. No problem (at least this week) finding a seat at any time in CL. Fabulous staff in there. Very convenient. No windows but since it basically gets dark at 5:00 pm there really isn't much to see outside in the evening anyway. Drinks are good. Bar staff friendly and efficient. Cold snacks nice even though the "hot snacks" leave something to be desired. So I don't really think the relocation (or not) of the lounge will really have much affect for most cruisers.

It does appear they are putting final touches on the slides although I have not seen them doing any "tests" which I would expect to see before "opening". The slides are also cool looking at night. Lights changes colors so it is really cool looking at night (from away from ship....we stayed late in Aruba last night.)

Flowrider is fully functionally and this week the lines weren't too long anytime we passed by.

Not sure where you heard there was a lot of construction happening.

I have not seen any construction at all this week....other than the slide the first couple of days. I heard banging briefly one morning but it did not last. This morning I saw two guys repainting a post in a public area....but that can happen as routine maintenance on any ship on any sailing.

While the rooms have not been refurbished....they are not that shabby. Yes..we were looking forward to new furnishings....but had we not known they had been planned we would not have been disappointed with the current furnishings. Our bed is fabulous. Not sure if it is new or old....but it is great. Granted the color scheme of the rooms is outdated....but that does not affect "livability". Also...the new carpet in the hallways does not match the color scheme of the walls/doors....but again....does not make it a bad cruise.

Edited by skiiergirl

I agree with everything Skiiergirl stated. One thing I would like to add is they are pushing that the Chops menu is available at Giovanni's. It is a very limited menu of about 4 items. The waiter acted offended when I inquired about it. Also the Giovanni's service was very slow.

I agree with everything Skiiergirl stated. One thing I would like to add is they are pushing that the Chops menu is available at Giovanni's. It is a very limited menu of about 4 items. The waiter acted offended when I inquired about it. Also the Giovanni's service was very slow.

Agreed they made a point of reassuring us that we could get our Chops Favorites at Giovannis so we made/kept the reservation.

The 4 items are the mushroom soup, the ceaser salad, 1 steak (I think Strip but I could be wrong) and the mud pie.

The waiter DID NOT want to talk about the 4 items, took multiple requests to get him to admit they existed since they didn't fit the "Giovannis" theme.

I had the Caesar which was god awful. They had obviously made them ahead of time and then stuck them in the freezer as mine had a block of ice in the middle of it ...

Giovannis is probably perfectly fine but not my style, service was very long and slow not at all what I wanted.

Just off the ship. mDR chairs looked new but for the most part I would have said the ship was about to go into drydock instead of having just come out. Cabins were not refreshed at all.

I would agree with this. Getting off the ship today & I saw a lot of things that I thought should have been fixed before they add new things. I guess Royal has a different philosophy than me but I believe in fixing the old before adding new things. Some of the things I saw: missing tiles, rust in numerous places, chipped & missing paint, broken toilet seats, broken light fixtures, dirty worn upholstery, torn curtains. These were just the obvious things, it wasn't like I was looking for them. Plus the most disappointing thing was I upgraded to an aft balcony but barely used it because of a disgusting sewage smell that kept wafting around back there. My neighbors were complaining about it too. It definitely ruined what should have been a great experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would agree with this. Getting off the ship today & I saw a lot of things that I thought should have been fixed before they add new things. I guess Royal has a different philosophy than me but I believe in fixing the old before adding new things. Some of the things I saw: missing tiles, rust in numerous places, chipped & missing paint, broken toilet seats, broken light fixtures, dirty worn upholstery, torn curtains. These were just the obvious things, it wasn't like I was looking for them. Plus the most disappointing thing was I upgraded to an aft balcony but barely used it because of a disgusting sewage smell that kept wafting around back there. My neighbors were complaining about it too. It definitely ruined what should have been a great experience.

Yep we were an aft balcony as well and had the same list of things that we noted in passing. None of them "deal breakers" but all of them very disappointing in a "newly refurbished" ;) ship.

Which deck were you on? I agree about the wear and tear, but I didn't notice a sewer smell. We were in an aft cabin on deck 9.

Which deck were you on? I agree about the wear and tear, but I didn't notice a sewer smell. We were in an aft cabin on deck 9.

I was on deck 7. I was wondering if I was higher up if the smell wouldn't have been as bad. It was very unpleasant at times

Has anyone recieved an update from a reliable source regarding some of the incomplete refurbishment items like refreshing the rooms? Is this still happening and, if so, on what timeframe?

I convinced some friends to sail this ship over a few other options in part due to the itinerary, but also based on the planned updates. They were concerned about the age of the ship and reports of it showing its age and having dated decor. I told them it was being totally refurbished which sold them. I don't think it's the end of the world but it would be nice to know what the attack plan is for some of these more cosmetic upgrades.

Has anyone recieved an update from a reliable source regarding some of the incomplete refurbishment items like refreshing the rooms? Is this still happening and, if so, on what timeframe?

I convinced some friends to sail this ship over a few other options in part due to the itinerary, but also based on the planned updates. They were concerned about the age of the ship and reports of it showing its age and having dated decor. I told them it was being totally refurbished which sold them. I don't think it's the end of the world but it would be nice to know what the attack plan is for some of these more cosmetic upgrades.

The rooms has not been refurbished yet. In speaking to staff on the ship, this is hoped to be completed by the end of the first quarter.

Has anyone been in a fore cabin? We have a balcony stateroom reserved for the end of next month and are hoping there aren't any nasty smells as some have mentioned with some of the aft cabins. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rooms has not been refurbished yet. In speaking to staff on the ship, this is hoped to be completed by the end of the first quarter.

My educated guess is that the rooms won't get the refurb until 2nd quarter 2018. I am guessing that since the ship is already being booked through April 2018 that they will try to build a shorter revitalization period in right after the "currently available to book" dates.

I'm going to say skiiergirl is probably close to the truth on this one, the cabin refurbs are going to require out of service time and I cant see RCI doing that "on the fly" it will have to wait for yet another drydock.

Changing out the linens is easy but if they are actually going to tear out and replace stuff it wont go well "at sea".

The cabin we were just in for example was functional but to really refurb it you would be talking:

Tear out and replace bathroom mirrors - frames badly rusted.

Replace toilet - worn to the point that the black "interior" shows through the white shell.

Replace shower - control for selecting temperature no longer functioning, warm is the only option.

Replace carpets - worn in many spots.

Repaint - chipped/scratched paint in several spots.

Replace curtains - stained/torn.

Balcony - chip off rust and repaint.

Plumbing in general needs some work, several "slow" drain and "trickle" of water complaints for example.

You cant do that kind of work while the cabin is in use so you are either rotating cabins down while you work or doing it at another drydock.

Has anyone been in a fore cabin? We have a balcony stateroom reserved for the end of next month and are hoping there aren't any nasty smells as some have mentioned with some of the aft cabins. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were in a forward deck 6 balcony. I did notice the smell but it was not too bad.

Giovanni's was wonderful! The main dining room food was bad at times.

We had an aft corner balcony on deck 8 and never notice any odors on the balcony or in the room. Our biggest issues were how hard the mattresses were and the balcony door being hazed over. The night we left Aruba, the ship got up to about 18 knots and we could hear a rattling in the wall, right behind the headboard. You could see small wooden shims at the top of the wall, where it meet the ceiling. If you pushed on the wall, the rattling would stop. We told our cabin steward and the last night at sea we didn't hear the rattling. I guess this was an issue before for other cruisers.

You could see small wooden shims at the top of the wall, where it meet the ceiling.

You mean you don't take shims on cruises? It's not just for those rattles, but to fix that annoying tipping of the MDR table. I'm sure they are useful other places as well.

Biker, who wonders how many actually do take shims on a cruise.:eek:

We had an aft corner balcony on deck 8 and never notice any odors on the balcony or in the room. Our biggest issues were how hard the mattresses were and the balcony door being hazed over. The night we left Aruba, the ship got up to about 18 knots and we could hear a rattling in the wall, right behind the headboard. You could see small wooden shims at the top of the wall, where it meet the ceiling. If you pushed on the wall, the rattling would stop. We told our cabin steward and the last night at sea we didn't hear the rattling. I guess this was an issue before for other cruisers.

Were you in 8690? We're booked in it for our B2B in June. Will make a pitstop at Lowes on our way to the airport if so... [emoji23]

You mean you don't take shims on cruises? It's not just for those rattles, but to fix that annoying tipping of the MDR table. I'm sure they are useful other places as well.

Biker, who wonders how many actually do take shims on a cruise.:eek:

Next time I will pack some.:)

Were you in 8690? We're booked in it for our B2B in June. Will make a pitstop at Lowes on our way to the airport if so... [emoji23]

We were in 8390, but you never know what the other rooms had rattling. Usually it is the closet doors making noise when cruising along.