Connecting in lhr

mina

Looking at a BA flight from Phx to Fco with a four hour layover in lhr. The Phx to lhr flight arrives in terminal 3. What will be the process for getting to our lhr to Fco flight? Will we clear immigration in lhr? Is four hours enough time to voluntarily clear lhr immigration so we can go outside so dh can have a smoke? Thank you

Your Rome flight will depart from Terminal 5. You'll go through security but not passport control nor customs.

When you disembark from the Phoenix flight, follow the signs to "flight connections." You'll board a bus and be taken to Terminal 5 (make sure it's the right bus) where you'll go through a security check and be released into the T5 shopping mall. Your Rome flight probably won't be listed on the reader boards until around 90 min. before departure. There's no smoking anywhere in T5.

To transfer "landside" (outside security) you'll have to go through UK immigration at T3. You can smoke outside, then go back into the arrivals area and take the (free) Heathrow Shuttle train to T5, then back through security as if it's a conventional departure. With 4 hours you'll have ample time to do this, but it's a pain; the queues at T3 immigration and again at T5 security can be really annoying.

Note going landside from T5 once you've made the "airside" connection from T3 is a giant pain, and requires that you be accompanied by an airport/airline employee. Not recommended.

Perhaps to assist the OP in the requirement that DH is able to get a smoke in between flights: Is there anywhere in LHR that has airside smoking facilities? This may be a good alternative to having to do the passport control and such to go outside... I'm sure plenty of people transiting LHR have the same need to smoke...

Is there anywhere in LHR that has airside smoking facilities?
Pretty sure the answer is no, and the OP wouldn't have access to any airside areas except T5. On arriving at T3 you can only go landside or connect to another terminal (including the departures area in T3) by showing a boarding pass for that terminal.

Thank you all for the responses. I was concerned about needing to do the terminal 3 to 5 transfer. So, since the cost to fly Ailatalia through Atlanta to Fco in premium economy is the same price, we will probably connect there, it will be a bit easier and their premium Economy seats look nice.

Pretty sure the answer is no, and the OP wouldn't have access to any airside areas except T5. On arriving at T3 you can only go landside or connect to another terminal (including the departures area in T3) by showing a boarding pass for that terminal.

Thanks. I don't smoke, so I had no idea what could/could not be done. From my view, having no smoking anywhere airside is a plus.

Thank you all for the responses. I was concerned about needing to do the terminal 3 to 5 transfer. So, since the cost to fly Ailatalia through Atlanta to Fco in premium economy is the same price, we will probably connect there, it will be a bit easier and their premium Economy seats look nice.

I like Alitalia. Now, I've only flown Business (aka "Magnifica" class), but the separate Premium Economy cabin did look nice. Be sure you are getting a flight on Alitalia metal, not a "flown by Delta" metal flight. Delta still doesn't have a separate cabin, but charge for the "Comfort Plus" seating. When were you looking at those flights - I can only find a nonstop on Delta ATL-FCO.

Good point slider girl. I looked again and the Atl to Fco is on delta. We may do the New York to Fco direct then, it's the same over time for us and cost, but that is an Ailtalia flight. We could also do lax direct to Fco on Ailtalia, but there is something about going backwards to catch a flight that annoys me😄 Since we are leaving from Phx.

Good point slider girl. I looked again and the Atl to Fco is on delta. We may do the New York to Fco direct then, it's the same over time for us and cost, but that is an Ailtalia flight. We could also do lax direct to Fco on Ailtalia, but there is something about going backwards to catch a flight that annoys me😄 Since we are leaving from Phx.

I've done the Alitalia flights between JFK and FCO. Those do have the separate Premium Economy section.

• 2 weeks later...
To transfer "landside" (outside security) you'll have to go through UK immigration at T3. You can smoke outside, then go back into the arrivals area and take the (free) Heathrow Shuttle train to T5, then back through security as if it's a conventional departure. With 4 hours you'll have ample time to do this, but it's a pain; the queues at T3 immigration and again at T5 security can be really annoying.

Note going landside from T5 once you've made the "airside" connection from T3 is a giant pain, and requires that you be accompanied by an airport/airline employee. Not recommended.

Another possible option is to take the airside transfer to T5. That tips you into the hall which has immigration to the left and flight connections to the right. At that point, it is possible to clear immigration, go downstairs and clear customs to landside - and then go outside for a smoke. One advantage is that you have then already reached T5, and you merely need to come back inside, clear security and go on to the gate.

However, once you have gone through flight connections and cleared security at T5, going landside has difficulties.

Is there anywhere in LHR that has airside smoking facilities?
In the back of my brain, there is a faint recollection that there may be an airside (outdoors) smoking facility at T4.

However, even if there is, the OP will not be able to get access to T4 airside. You need a boarding pass for a flight departing from T4 to do that.

I like Alitalia. Now, I've only flown Business (aka "Magnifica" class), but the separate Premium Economy cabin did look nice. Be sure you are getting a flight on Alitalia metal, not a "flown by Delta" metal flight. Delta still doesn't have a separate cabin, but charge for the "Comfort Plus" seating. When were you looking at those flights - I can only find a nonstop on Delta ATL-FCO.
Hi,we flew Delta comfort + LHR-SEA in Sept.We were very impressed with seats,service and food.Boeing 767 with 2 outside seats,I dont know what OP plane will be though,cheers,Brian.

We avoid changing planes in LHR whenever possible. Even if it means paying a little more for our ticket. Transferring between terminals is no treat. Most especially if there is a security alert. Even during what appeared to be normal times the lines to get through security etc. were very long, exceeding slow. There were lots of staff about however we noticed that they were quite surly and not helpful.