Discussed Many Times

wally8

I have not sailed on either the Island or the Coral, yet have read many threads on the subject so apologize for another. For you that have sailed on both, which one would you pick for a partial to the Panama canal. The itinerary is the same for both and the choice of cabins is a Vista suite on the Island or a club class mini on the Coral. The cost is only $200 pp more for the Island. The reason for the question revolves around all of the negative comments re the Island. Thanks,

Bob fr Tx

I have not sailed on either the Island or the Coral, yet have read many threads on the subject so apologize for another. For you that have sailed on both, which one would you pick for a partial to the Panama canal. The itinerary is the same for both and the choice of cabins is a Vista suite on the Island or a club class mini on the Coral. The cost is only $200 pp more for the Island. The reason for the question revolves around all of the negative comments re the Island. Thanks,

Bob fr Tx

Have sailed both many times.

Due to the major changes to the Island in May 2015 its.......

Hands down the Coral!

Full wrap around Promenade deck. (aft 1/3 removed on the Island)

Aft viewing areas. (removed from the Island)

Forward viewing areas.

International Cafe! (Island does not have one)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I can't speak for the Island, but we did take the Coral partial transit last year. The ship is terrific. We loved it. Great ship, great entertainment, great food. The best of 36 cruises. I believe the Island has been altered to add more cabins. The Coral was scheduled to get the same treatment but that was cancelled due to negative reception of the changes. If you take this cruise be sure to attend the enrichment lectures. They add to the experience.

We did the PC partial twice on the Coral and agree with what Keith is saying as to the changes made to the Island, would have picking the Coral as first choice. In addition to those items, there is potentially 200 more people onboard the Island with those extra cabins, to fill in the common areas and shows. The Coral is our favorite ship.

Have sailed both many times.

Due to the major changes to the Island in May 2015 its.......

Hands down the Coral!

Full wrap around Promenade deck. (aft 1/3 removed on the Island)

Aft viewing areas. (removed from the Island)

Forward viewing areas.

International Cafe! (Island does not have one)

Agree

Plus:

Coral has the Universe Lounge, a full aft show lounge with lots of space for alternate activities such as ZUMBA, Bingo, Dancing and others.

Coral has less passengers and more space/passenger.

Book Club Class on the Coral.

If there is truly a choice, then Coral wins in a first round knockout. Not close. I wouldn't sail on Island unless there really was no viable alternative. It's not that it is a "bad" ship per se. It's just that every other Princess ship is better.

I'm on the Coral for the RT Fort Lauderdale/Panama cruise in February. I chose my week based completely on my desire NOT to do it on the newly refurbished Island.

But with that said, we will be on the Island in January 2018 for the 60 day South America transit. I had no choice if I wanted to do this itinerary!

We have cruised on both ships fairly recently. 17 day full transit on Coral last fall and Alaska southbound in June. Coral was wonderful. Island was poop. We hated what had been done to the ship in the recent refit. They took away the entire aft portion of the ship's public areas and replaced it with cabins. It is officially our least favorite Princess ship.

Just back from the full canal transit on the Island. Great cruise, terrific staff overall - no significant complaints - will post a deeper dive later; but I do suggest the Coral to you for all of the reasons above.

We have sailed both also and endorse the Coral while you still can. Sadly, these smaller (remember when the Coral wasn't a "smaller ship!) ships are slowly going away.

Coral, without hesitation. We don't like the butcher job that they have done on the Island and the last time we sailed on her we felt that the food was sub par. Although, I must admit that the crew was superb and all seemed to be truly happy with where they were.

Thanks for all of your comments. Just received an offer for a full suite on the Coral comparable to the one I had on the Island. It cost more yet based on all of your comments, I took it assuming that I will like the Coral much more than the Island so thanks again for all of your help.

Bob fr Tx

Thanks for all of your comments. Just received an offer for a full suite on the Coral comparable to the one I had on the Island. It cost more yet based on all of your comments, I took it assuming that I will like the Coral much more than the Island so thanks again for all of your help.

Bob fr Tx

Thats great! :)