Nooby Family onboard RCCL Explorer of the Seas

Kostiz

Ahoy Cruisers

We are almost set to finalise our last payment for a fantastic adventure in 2017. The wife & kids have no idea I've booked and it will be a XMAS surprise gift for the family. As we have 4 kids, 10,8,5 & 3 I want to be as prepared and aware of the ins and outs of cruising and what to expect and what to avoid

We have booked for MTD and already experienced issues but hopefully this will be resolved as we were on a waiting list, then it dropped off and I called up and they seems to have sorted this out, fingers crossed they move us to MFTD :eek:

Tips and gratuities - we have paid for this on our invoice already so I understand this is part of the norm for most however we've never experienced such "expectation" that we need to pay these tips, even my 3yr old paid the full amount, so my query is, do I need to keep giving money every day? I'm not ungrateful as happy to pay additional $$ when someone goes about and beyond, just want to understand how one works this out so to not offend or upset the staff

People say carry $1 USD and $5 and $10s so was thinking just have $50 in change and let the kids tip

Drink packages - OK I will probably get flamed for this but I am not sure how this is seen as a good deal?? Refreshment package for my kids would cost me a bomb at the price per day of $39.04/day and wait water is $62 for evian ***???:mad::mad:

I don't drink much but do like the odd beer or wine with my meal and I enjoy a good coffee seriously no wonder people try rumrunners:eek::eek:

I know this must sound like a /rant (yes it is) but seriously how do the RCCL think this is a great deal for large families and why can't I share a soda's deal with the kids, hell even my 3 year would only drinks milk which I may add is only available for free during breakfast...

Now that I finished my rant

What should I be pre-booking so the kids get the best time of there trip, I can't seem to book anything right now via the webportal like the flowrider...So I am looking for advise on what to go and see with the kids and ideally without additional costs

Also what about deck chairs, seems people get up early and reserve them, by putting their towels, so can I do that for 6 deck chairs or will people frown at me for doing this as?

I've also noticed some special deals are being offered and seems cheaper than what I have paid so far, can i push them to give me a better deal or threaten to cancel it?

Flame suit on :D

PEACE

Kosti

Edited by Kostiz

Not having cruised with younger kids I am not sure I can help too much but I will just let you know how we went about tipping...I am sure many others will give their point of view as well.

We paid our tips up front, which seems the same as you have. We did not tip anywhere else with cash until the end of the cruise and when we did we just gave AUD, not USD. So I wouldn't worry about exchanging any cash for USD unless you are planning on using it elsewhere. If you want to add a little extra tip to the drink or specialty restaurant's ( if you use one ) bill then do so and I am sure it will be gratefully received and saves carrying cash around

I honestly wouldn't worry about having the kids tip...Wait until the end of the cruise and just tip anyone you feel who has gone above and tip as a family.

With the drinks packages for the kids..are they allowed to drink sodas?Why not go the soda package if they are allowed? You can get milk anytime..just ask. The only time there is a charge is if you order it from room service after hours. My boys were more than happy with the free offerings of iced water, Lemonade (US lemonade), iced tea and flavoured water. You can also get the hot chocolate or coffee sachets,milk and make a chocolate or iced coffee milk. My boys would have the odd coke or mocktail when they wanted which wasn't too often so didn't add up to too much for us.

Thanks for info

As for the soda pack I was referring to the kids beverages, so again the price per kid is nuts, I am thinking of taking a few satchels of flavoured drinks and adding it to there water if it comes to that

The only useful thing I've been able to find out is we are allowed 2 bottles of wine/champagne and a 6 pack of can drinks per room, so we will do this for now

The only let done is I like my premium coffee maybe I should take my nespresso machine too :D:p

Thanks for info

As for the soda pack I was referring to the kids beverages, so again the price per kid is nuts, I am thinking of taking a few satchels of flavoured drinks and adding it to there water if it comes to that

The only useful thing I've been able to find out is we are allowed 2 bottles of wine/champagne and a 6 pack of can drinks per room, so we will do this for now

The only let done is I like my premium coffee maybe I should take my nespresso machine too :D:p

I am not a coffee drinker but hubby is... he says the free stuff is only just drinkable .....if you can sneak the nespresso on then do it :)

I wouldn't bother with any packages for the kids. They can fill up on the free stuff and load up on sugar at the free ice cream station.

Our 3yr old doesn't drink pop. She was beyond thrilled to get to have lemonade (free). She drinks water at home so wasn't expecting more. Unless your kids drink a lot of pop they won't be missing anything by sticking with the free options.

I brought two of the little squirt bottles of water flavorings. I only used up 1. It gave me flavored water for my water bottle and I had lemonade and tea throughout the day. Maybe bring those for your older children if they want something more exciting. They are on a surprise cruise, one would hope they are busy exploring and not thinking about having pop all week!!

You can give your older children a beverage budget ($30 or so).

MTFamily dining is best if you just book early/main traditional seating. No guesswork..and that works best with kids and the evening kid's activities.

If you've prepaid your tips, there is no more expected. Room service delivery is the only shipboard service NOT covered by your pre-paid tips. RCI charges tips for EVERY SOUL aboard...no matter their age.

Drinks included in your fare are: ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) , lemonade or flavored water, milk and juice at breakfast. (Milk is available at ANY dining venue,...all day long..and with room service!) If your kids are good with that, then they don't need a package at all. Sodas can be purchased without a package...a can yields 2 glasses over ice and costs about $2.85.

Pool chairs...the kids will NOT be sitting in a freaking chair...so just get one for you and spouse...the kids will be swimming and running about. NO...you cannot reserve them....just get what is there when YOU get there! Some folks will put myriad crap on loungers to pretend they're being used, but don't do that...don't be a "chair hog"!

You book a cruise when the price is ok with you. They don't give a fig if you "threaten" them or not...plenty of others to take your place!

Edited by cb at sea

Ahoy Cruisers

Tips and gratuities - we have paid for this on our invoice already so I understand this is part of the norm for most however we've never experienced such "expectation" that we need to pay these tips, even my 3yr old paid the full amount, so my query is, do I need to keep giving money every day? I'm not ungrateful as happy to pay additional $$ when someone goes about and beyond, just want to understand how one works this out so to not offend or upset the staff

People say carry $1 USD and $5 and $10s so was thinking just have $50 in change and let the kids tip

Drink packages - OK I will probably get flamed for this but I am not sure how this is seen as a good deal?? Refreshment package for my kids would cost me a bomb at the price per day of $39.04/day and wait water is $62 for evian ***???:mad::mad:

I don't drink much but do like the odd beer or wine with my meal and I enjoy a good coffee seriously no wonder people try rumrunners:eek::eek:

I know this must sound like a /rant (yes it is) but seriously how do the RCCL think this is a great deal for large families and why can't I share a soda's deal with the kids, hell even my 3 year would only drinks milk which I may add is only available for free during breakfast...

What should I be pre-booking so the kids get the best time of there trip, I can't seem to book anything right now via the webportal like the flowrider...So I am looking for advise on what to go and see with the kids and ideally without additional costs

Also what about deck chairs, seems people get up early and reserve them, by putting their towels, so can I do that for 6 deck chairs or will people frown at me for doing this as?

I've also noticed some special deals are being offered and seems cheaper than what I have paid so far, can i push them to give me a better deal or threaten to cancel it?

PEACE

Kosti

If you have prepaid your gratuities, then you will not have to tip other than for drinks. However, tips for drinks are automatically added on and will be charged to your onboard account. If you want to tip extra, that is your choice.

If you order room service, it is customary to tip the person who brings you your order. So you might need some small bills for that.

Everything else on the ship gets charged to your onboard account.

You will likely want some small bills for small purchases off the ship.

If the drink package is not a good deal for you, don't purchase it. Milk is always free. Just ask for it.

You can't share because the packages are sold per person. It would be like sharing with someone who didn't pay at an all you can eat place.

Nobody is allow to reserve deck chairs. However, they do it anyway. There are different methods of dealing with this. I suggest asking the pool deck staff to help. They may or may not help, but that is where I would start.

Yes, you can push for a better deal and/or threaten to cancel. I'm not sure that is the best way to handle whatever it is you are concerned about, but you can do it.

If you are referring to the price of the cruise before final payment is due, then you can ask for the new lower price, unless there is some condition on that price that you do not qualify for (such as new bookings only).

First of all, if you've found a better deal, call and they will give you the same discount (if you booked through a TA, call the agent and they will get you the reduction) up to final payment. First time cruising is a bit daunting and can be confusing as to what's paid and what's included.

Milk: My Grandson always LOVED the chocolate milk. I would pick up a few at breakfast and put them in the fridge in the cabin. Also, in the dining room, the milk at lunch and dinner is free. We even found a couple of bartenders that had milk.

We've never used a lounge for each person, especially when my Grandson was small. Six would draw some eyebrows raised and if you drape towels or whatever on them, after a certain period of time, they will remove your items and hold them where they check out towels. I would suggest that you try using 3 loungers and see if that works. Then, if it doesn't use a more. The kids would probably share with each other or you or the wife. It's all a matter of personal taste. We (four of us in my family...grown daughters) usually share two loungers because at different times, a couple of us will be in the pool while a couple of us use the loungers or two of us sit on the same lounger to chat.

Drink pkg: The younger ones might be perfectly happy with milk, lemonade, tea or the flavored waters. If one or more want soda, you can purchase one at a pro-rated amount, but if they only want a soda once a day, it's not worth the cost. Just buy the occasional soda. They're about $3 each. No need to purchase bottled water. The purification process on the ships are great. It's not very cold, so we always ask for our ice bucket to be filled every day. You can carry a thermal bottle for keeping it cold if you want to carry cold water out by the pool. We would never think about purchasing the water. I only have an occasional drink, so I just paid for them as I went. I would never drink enough to justify buying the packages. A beer is about $6-8 each (depending on brand). Look at the package and do the math to see if you will come out better getting the package. I find the coffee on the ship is fine, and I drink a lot of coffee, but others disagree and feel they need the specialty coffee. Just personal taste.

Aside from the tips you've already paid, no other tips (other than room service, which is $2 to $5, depending on how much you order) are necessary. We keep some ones and a few $5's in a zip lock in the desk drawer so that we are able to get to the tip quickly when room service arrives. If you feel a room steward or waiter has gone above and beyond, you can tip extra as a family, but it's certainly not required and we don't hand out ones to them every day.

The have a parade that the whole family will enjoy on the first evening. All the activities wil be on your Cruise Compass which is delivered to your room every night. The first one will be waiting in your cabin on Day One. This will also include information on the hours for the FlowRider. I don't know what ship you are on, but the FlowRider, Rock Climbing Wall, Mini-golf, table tennis, basketball court are all free (if they are all on the ship you are sailing). Kid's Club is free and you should check it out with your kids on the first day to see if they are interested. You'll get a run down on all the activities for each age group. Our kids weren't interested, but the vast majority LOVE it. There's a video arcade...BEWARE...it's not free and they can run up quite a charge on their SeaPass Cards. You can put a specific amount they can spend on their SeaPass if you wish for them to use it. Go to guest services to do that or restrict their card so that they can't rack up charges. Some ships have a skating rink they can use at specific times (stated in the Cruise Compass also). For the rock climbing wall they have to have shoes and socks. For the skating rink I think they require pants...but on that one I could be wrong. Lots of FREE activities.

First of all, if you've found a better deal, call and they will give you the same discount (if you booked through a TA, call the agent and they will get you the reduction) up to final payment.

OP is from Australia, so the North American booking conditions you are referring to don't apply. :(

Thanks everyone, really some great advise and help tips, so thanks!

I am also wondering about motion sickness, since none of us have been on a huge ship and we are right up at the starboard of the ship, so not sure how the kids will handle it

What is recommended for children and adults for motion sickness or should we just go without it?

How are the kids normally in cars and buses? If they don't get car sick then fingers crossed they will not get sea sick either. Mine love it the rockier the ship is :eek:. We went on a small boat out to the barrier reef when they were younger and everyone was recommended to sit in the middle of the boat lower down as to avoid the motion a little. Mine soon ventured up to the top of the boat and sat at the side and laughed all the way.

That being said, I have always taken some crystallized ginger with me just in case. Green apples are supposed to be good as a natural cure as well if the kids don't like ginger. Friends of ours have bought sea sick bands as another natural remedy.

Otherwise Travacalm I have heard is readily available here and kids can use it. or I am sure they will have some sort of medication on the ship for you

Unless your kids have a soft drink addiction, they will survive with the complementary drinks. Just be aware that the lemonade that everyone speaks of(in the Windjammer Buffet) is more like lemon cordial. It;s perfectly fine - just not fizzy. Yep, the free coffee is awful.

A previous posted mentioned a parade, there is no parade on the Explorer of the Seas. The Dreamworks characters are on the Voyager of the Seas.

As mentioned, free activities are 9 hole putt putt golf, Flowrider (you cant prebook), ice-skating rink (kids need long pants to skate), rockclimbing wall and basketball court.

They will show a 3D movie at some point during the cruise so check out the cruise compass for when it is listed.

We tip our room steward at the end of the cruise if they are excellent. No need to specifically get USD. We have tipped in AUD and NZD.

Your daily onboard charges are listed on your tv. Get into the habit of checking your tv once a day and sort any issues with Guest Services immediately. Hopefully, you wont have any issues but best not to leave it to the last day to sort any problems.

Where are you cruising to? Cruising over to New Zealand and down to Tasmania can sometime encounter a fair bit of swell. However, you will find a big ship like Explorer is incredibly stable.

Hi.

Re tipping. If you doing cruise that's returning to Australia then tipping at end in aud is fine but if doing one that is repositioning to Asia then prop a usd tip is better. I always pre pay cos do my time dining and then usually only tip my room steward extra cos I don't live in any bar specifically.

With the drinks packages for the kids..are they allowed to drink sodas?Why not go the soda package if they are allowed? You can get milk anytime..just ask. The only time there is a charge is if you order it from room service after hours. My boys were more than happy with the free offerings of iced water, Lemonade (US lemonade), iced tea and flavoured water. You can also get the hot chocolate or coffee sachets,milk and make a chocolate or iced coffee milk. My boys would have the odd coke or mocktail when they wanted which wasn't too often so didn't add up to too much for us.

I am just curious...what is the difference between US lemonade and your lemonade?

Lemonade in the UK is lemon/lime soda like Sprite or 7up.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, in Aus we call lemon flavoured (and we put a u in our words like flavour and colour :)) pop or soda ...lemonade...so if we ask for lemonade here we will get 7 up or sprite or our own version. US lemonade we would call lemon cordial.

Thanks again everyone very helpful :)

As for lemonade, usually this is sprite/7up as mentioned but fizzy(carbonated), not flavoured water.

Although none of my children need to drink it at home however when we do order take out like pizza we usually grab a pepsi max which the kids love :D

As for seas sickness. none of my kids have gotten car sick or motion sicken yet even on cruising on our own 5.3mtr boat however there is no swell like what one would encounter on the open seas, so I have no idea but may just drug them up to have a pleasant trip.

This drink packaged is still doing my head in as now I've read people trying to sneak in rumrunners onboard are not getting detected so not going to risk it and may just buy the damn beverage package just for myself:mad:

PEACE

Kosti

It seems like you might be kind of new to cruising, I think someone has given you bad info as a lot of what you have said isn't really true and you don't need to worry about. I'm sure you and your family will have a great time.

Ahoy Cruisers

We are almost set to finalise our last payment for a fantastic adventure in 2017. The wife & kids have no idea I've booked and it will be a XMAS surprise gift for the family. As we have 4 kids, 10,8,5 & 3 I want to be as prepared and aware of the ins and outs of cruising and what to expect and what to avoid

We have booked for MTD and already experienced issues but hopefully this will be resolved as we were on a waiting list, then it dropped off and I called up and they seems to have sorted this out, fingers crossed they move us to MFTD :eek: there is usually no trouble changing your dining if you do it the first day on aboard

Tips and gratuities - we have paid for this on our invoice already so I understand this is part of the norm for most however we've never experienced such "expectation" that we need to pay these tips, even my 3yr old paid the full amount, so my query is, do I need to keep giving money every day? I'm not ungrateful as happy to pay additional $$ when someone goes about and beyond, just want to understand how one works this out so to not offend or upset the staff. If you've paid in advance then you're done. The only additional thing is if you order room service it's polite to tip a few dollars (like $2 to $5 max). You don't need to tip anything further, but if someone does go above and beyond they will gratefully accept anything extra. For example, our dinner waitstaff always remember our drink order and by the 3rd day it is waiting there for us when we arrive - we tip usually $20 extra at the end of the week.

People say carry $1 USD and $5 and $10s so was thinking just have $50 in change and let the kids tip yes this is fine is you want to

Drink packages - OK I will probably get flamed for this but I am not sure how this is seen as a good deal?? Refreshment package for my kids would cost me a bomb at the price per day of $39.04/day and wait water is $62 for evian ***???:mad::mad: The refreshment package isn't necessary for kids, it's coffee and frozen drinks. The soft drink package is only $8.50US a day. If they'll drink less than 3 just buy as you go. The Evian package is for 12 x 1L bottles.

I don't drink much but do like the odd beer or wine with my meal and I enjoy a good coffee seriously no wonder people try rumrunners:eek::eek: If it's not a good deal for you then don't get it. You're not forced to buy a package, you can buy these drinks individually as you go. For me it s a good deal as I would easily spend $70 a day, but if it's not for you that's fine. You can also bring 2 bottles of wine onboard (but not any canned drinks as I saw you say in another post. It's only the wine that's allowed)

I know this must sound like a /rant (yes it is) but seriously how do the RCCL think this is a great deal for large families and why can't I share a soda's deal with the kids, hell even my 3 year would only drinks milk which I may add is only available for free during breakfast... Milk will be available at all meals. As above, it is a great deal for some people but that doesn't mean it will suit everyone. Lemonade (not the Sprite kind) iced tea and water are also available. Do your kids like hot chocolate? Packet mix hot chocolate is free of charge too.

What should I be pre-booking so the kids get the best time of there trip, I can't seem to book anything right now via the webportal like the flowrider...So I am looking for advise on what to go and see with the kids and ideally without additional costs You don't book the flow rider unless you want to reserve the whole thing for a private lesson. It's free to turn up and ride during the times published in the cruise compass. There is also free mini-golf and kids club.

Also what about deck chairs, seems people get up early and reserve them, by putting their towels, so can I do that for 6 deck chairs or will people frown at me for doing this as? This is seen as extremely rude - it's called chair hogging and the rule is your things will be removed by the staff after 30 minutes. Of course enforcement varies but seriously keeping 6 chairs is not ok. I have never had a problem getting a lounger, although sometimes not be in the first row by the pool. Depends what time you go and of its a sea day.

I've also noticed some special deals are being offered and seems cheaper than what I have paid so far, can i push them to give me a better deal or threaten to cancel it? Not really if you booked in Australia, they don't do price drops here as a rule. Depending on how close to the cruise it is you may be able to cancel and re-book. 'Threaten to cancel' - they don't really care, ships sail full every week and they will replace you. You can ask them for a price drop as it never hurts to ask, but don't expect to get one like they do in the US

PEACE

Kosti

Hey BekkaW

Thanks for the feedback and updated info, very useful. As for the canned drinks I called up and they advised I was allowed 6 canned of drinks hence I made that statement, so not sure, but maybe a few cans of gingerale :p

The drink package still annoys me, i roughly calculate i would drink $40 on any given night, however paying an additional 18% tip on that makes it frustrating so for me personally not worth it at all

I wish they offered a better family package for drinks although I love my coffee but the above $40 is including a couple of beers + a few coffee's a day arrrgghhhh....

I have a few more months to decide :p

So on another note, how to we Aussies charge up our camera's as I assume the ship uses US standard plugs and power source of 110volts? :eek::eek:

I am going to take on a power board and replug the connector to US and since most chargers should work from 120v-240v I assume the charge cycle will just take longer, can I take on this power board?

PEACE

Kosti

So on another note, how to we Aussies charge up our camera's as I assume the ship uses US standard plugs and power source of 110volts? :eek::eek:

I am going to take on a power board and replug the connector to US and since most chargers should work from 120v-240v I assume the charge cycle will just take longer, can I take on this power board?

PEACE

Kosti

Well I just read you are not allowed to bring power boards which is a real shame since there is a number of items I would need to charge up with 6 people in a cabin since there are only possibly two outlets in the room for powering items

Snap! :mad:

Well I just read you are not allowed to bring power boards which is a real shame since there is a number of items I would need to charge up with 6 people in a cabin since there are only possibly two outlets in the room for powering items

Snap! :mad:

We just use a normal travel adapter, you can get some chargers also that have multi USB ports for charging a few devices at once.

That's so weird what you were told about cans as it is definitely against their published policy - they often don't enforce it though so perhaps they've given up! I worked out my average drinks at $71 a day including the gratuity so getting it for $66 was a good deal for me 🙂