Help! Our passports are expired!

Hello! We set sail November 20, 2016 and when I went to check in online I discovered that my passports expired in July 2016. I looked online and called RC who told me as an American citizen cruising on a closed loop cruise that my birth certificate, drivers license and marriage license will be enough. Is this true? Has anyone had experience with this?? HELP!!

Thanks in advance!!

Hello! We set sail November 20' date=' 2016 and when I went to check in online I discovered that my passports expired in July 2016. I looked online and called RC who told me as an American citizen cruising on a closed loop cruise that my birth certificate, drivers license and marriage license will be enough. Is this true? Has anyone had experience with this?? HELP!!

Thanks in advance!![/quote']

What port do you leave from?

USA ports that's true.

Bayonne NJ

No problem. Raised seal birth certificate, drivers license and marriage license is all you need. Take your expired passports with you just in case you are stuck in a port. It will make it slightly easier in the consulate for them to issue new ones.

Raised seal birth certificates aren't used by all states. As long as it's an original birth certificate, not a copy and not the souvenir one the hospital gives, it will be fine.

That's true.

If the US gov't accepted their birth certificates for the original passports they are fine.

If you want to get a passport before your trip you can with the expedited service and fee. https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply.html

My Dad had to do this when he didn't realize his passport had expired prior to a trip to Europe.

Hello! We set sail November 20' date=' 2016 and when I went to check in online I discovered that my passports expired in July 2016. I looked online and called RC who told me as an American citizen cruising on a closed loop cruise that my birth certificate, drivers license and marriage license will be enough. Is this true? Has anyone had experience with this?? HELP!!

Thanks in advance!![/quote']

See if your states issues a enhanced driver's license which states USA residency, that usually takes less than a week to get...It would be good for Canadian, Mexico or Caribbean travel thru ports or driving (not by air.) We use ours for Canadian border crossings and I have fellow employees use them on the Mexican border. Your old PP should be proof enough for you Secretary of State for proof of citizenship. They will expire the same time your drivers license are due, Michigan's are @ $40.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Raised seal birth certificates aren't used by all states. As long as it's an original birth certificate, not a copy and not the souvenir one the hospital gives, it will be fine.

It does not have to be an original birth certificate, but a "certified" (I think that's what it's called) one. If you don't have one, contact the state (whichever one you were born in) to get a certified copy.

Do this MONDAY if you can't find an official copy somewhere this weekend.

Thanks in advance!!

Why would you not believe what someone from Royal told you?

But "original birth certificate" doesn't just mean "the first one you got from the state". It means the certified copies of the info that the state keeps. I'm on my third certified copy.

And actually if you look at cpb and getyouhome, they don't say certified copy but just copy. But who wants to push it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See if your states issues a enhanced driver's license which states USA residency, that usually takes less than a week to get...It would be good for Canadian, Mexico or Caribbean travel thru ports or driving (not by air.) We use ours for Canadian border crossings and I have fellow employees use them on the Mexican border. Your old PP should be proof enough for you Secretary of State for proof of citizenship. They will expire the same time your drivers license are due, Michigan's are @ $40.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Enhanced DL does nothing for a cruise that a BC and DL does. There is no reason to have that for a cruise. BC and FL will be just fine.

But "original birth certificate" doesn't just mean "the first one you got from the state". It means the certified copies of the info that the state keeps. I'm on my third certified copy.

And actually if you look at cpb and getyouhome, they don't say certified copy but just copy. But who wants to push it?

That's what I meant. :) I couldn't think of the word when I was responding so I just wrote original.

When I checked into my cruise, it asked what I would be presenting as proof of citizenship and a birth certificate and ID was all that was necessary. No marriage license. Granted, after reading this I'm clearly going to be grabbing by marriage license.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I checked into my cruise, it asked what I would be presenting as proof of citizenship and a birth certificate and ID was all that was necessary. No marriage license. Granted, after reading this I'm clearly going to be grabbing by marriage license.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the name on your ID matches the name on your BC, you don't need anything else. If you've changed your name (such as after being married), you need an official document showing that change.

If the name on your ID matches the name on your BC, you don't need anything else. If you've changed your name (such as after being married), you need an official document showing that change.

No you don't.

My mother has been married 3x and only brought a BC and DL.

She got on just fine.

3 times.

People on this site keep repeating stuff they hear without any factual knowledge...

Caveat if you were born in Hudson County, NJ - you can't use a birth certificate from the Hudson County Clerk. You have to get one from the State of NJ.

In 2004, a long-running probe by the FBI and U.S. State Department found that a large number of fraudulent birth certificates had been issued by the Hudson County Clerk. As a result of the investigation and subsequent prosecutions, birth certificates issued for Jersey City by the Hudson County Clerk are no longer accepted for certain purposes, and the Hudson County Clerk no longer issues birth certificates.

Individuals born in Jersey City who wish to obtain certified copies of birth certificates should refer to the NJ State Department of Health and Senior Services.

This sucks for people who need an immediate certificate because you can usually walk into the County Clerk and obtain one (my friend Richard did it in Essex County for his cruise last summer) but with NJ you'd have to go to Trenton or wait for it in the mail.