Can't decide - Please help me pick the best beach!

mompells

My husband and I are looking for a beach day in Cozumel. I am 53 years old and my husband is 58 years old. We are very active. We only actually "sit" on the beach for a little while. We REALLY like to snorkel and we have our own gear. We usually like to get lunch and we'll have a few drinks.

We are cruising the last week of August. (Carnival Dream)

I think I have it narrowed down.....

Paradise Beach?

Nachi Cocom?

Mr. Sanchos?

Park Royal?

A couple things that I'd like to know for each....

How far of a taxi ride is it? How much each way for two people?

How is the snorkeling?

How crowded does each one get?

How clean is each?

I'd actually rather be at a place that might have "less" children.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! If anyone has a suggestion for a different resort/beach, please let me know!

Thanks again!

My husband and I are looking for a beach day in Cozumel. I am 53 years old and my husband is 58 years old. We are very active. We only actually "sit" on the beach for a little while. We REALLY like to snorkel and we have our own gear. We usually like to get lunch and we'll have a few drinks.

Paradise Beach?

Nachi Cocom?

Mr. Sanchos?

Park Royal?

How is the snorkeling?

How clean is each?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! If anyone has a suggestion for a different resort/beach, please let me know!

Thanks again!

Since you have no children in your party and you like to snorkel I would consider Money Bar. No long sandy beach but snorkeling direct from rocky shore. There are some loungers, hammocks, tables and chairs to rest on either on a deck or sandy area. Good food and drinks, clean facilities and short taxi ride from southern piers (maybe $10-12 for taxi each way for up to 4 ppl).

Google for website (although I dont think new website is as good as old, it does have a reasonable gallery).

The other places you are looking at will not have good shore snorkeling and you will need to take a boat except for Park Royal. I haven't snorkeled but some people say it is reasonable. Park royal is convenient, no transport needed if you dock at Puerta Maya or International. Has several good swimming pools but requires a day pass and is AI.

We have been to Cozumel 11 or 12 times. We usually try a different beach but we had not been to Chankanaab Park since Hurricane Wilma and my dear bride really liked CP, so off we went. Grabbed a cab ($12), $21 to get in and the place is gorgeous. They have really worked it over. They have installed metal steps for entry into the water. Before it was climb over rocks or wooden steps. Food and service was good and there was plenty of lounge chairs and shade. My only regret was that the two other couples that sailed with us had gone off on their own. They would have loved it.

This is the type of shore that you need if you like to snorkel. Ironshore and coral is what you need for fish and CP has both.

Good snorkeling can be had at several clubs in this area. Playa Uvas is next door, Playa Corona and the Money Bar are close too, but for beauty, CP gets the nod.

Taxi to the Money Bar will run about $10-12 (fare covers up to 4 passengers, so pair up with others on your roll call and save $$).

No admission fee, good snorkeling from the shore, no beach (but a sandy area for sunning/relaxing). Good facilities plus lockers and rental gear if needed. Good food/drinks/service. The lack of a "sandy beach" (you enter the water via steps) keeps the numbers of children way down.

You'll pay about $17 each way in cab fare to get to Paradise Beach, Mr. Sanchos or Nachi Cocom and the snorkeling will be comparatively poor unless you pay more for a boat trip to the reef.

Thanks so much for all of this great info! Just a few more questions.....

How do I know which dock Carnival is going to dock at?

How far of a taxi drive (time wise?)is it to the Money Bar?

Does the Money Bar charge a fee to use their facilities (chairs, bathroom, etc.)

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!

Money Bar does not charge to use facilities.... but they do expect you to buy something - water bottles, drinks, lunch, etc. or rent snorkel gear, etc. You can't just show up and sit at their tables and use their bathrooms.

Money Bar is just south of Puerta Maya pier. It is the closest beach club.

Taxi fares to all of the popular tourist spots will be posted on a board near the taxi line for your pier - there are 3 piers on Coz so be sure you go back to the correct one!

Ride to MB should take about 10 min.

Do you remember how much the taxi ride from Money Bar to Paradise Beach was? Also, how long did it take to get there?

Why do you want to do both?

Money Bar is a small beach club with no real beach, just a great snorkeling area, chairs in sandy raised beach deck, and restaurant. Nothing more. It gets a quieter crowd.

Paradise Beach is similar, with more people, but with a pool and beach, just farther away.

I would pick one, and go there.

Edited by ABQrobin

Paradise Beach?

Nachi Cocom?

Mr. Sanchos?

Park Royal?

How is the snorkeling?

How clean is each?

Thanks again!

Club Cozumel has good snorkeling and the food is good too. Really beautiful on that end of island.

Club Cozumel has good snorkeling and the food is good too. Really beautiful on that end of island.

Do you mean Buccanos at Club Caribe?

I agree it is very nice there but unless you are docked at Punta Langosta the time and taxi fare will be more because of the distance. It does have the advantage of snorkeling and pool at the same place if that was the reason for moving onto Paradise Beach.

We only go there if staying on the island due to their admission charges for cruisers, unless their policies have changed again.