Nassau suggestions

mlyness

Plenty to see and do in Nassau by foot. We have done a self-guided walking tour we found Online which allowed us to see several interesting historical buildings, the Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle etc. Junkanoo Beach is close by (not the best beach in the world, but its very close and very free! Just past the beach is Fish Fry which is several local seafood places, great for authentic, local seafood.

Check The Bahamas board here as well:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

We walked a few blocks up the hill to the Graycliff Hotel, very impressive place with lots of history. You can take guided tours through the ship, we just walked the property on our own. Also the Graycliff cigar factory if you want to tour that. I'm a fan of their cigars but my wife really enjoyed seeing the hotel. Last stop for us is the BC Hilton beach bar for a drink by the water.

Fort Fincastle is an good way to spend the day and get some history, and do some shopping along the way. You could also easily walk to Junkanoo Beach if you're looking for a beach day, just bring your towel from the shop and lay out on the beach. It also provides good views of the ships and the harbor.

We enjoy walking to the British Colonial Hilton for tea or drinks. Then, the

Pirate Museum is across the street. The Graycliff Hotel was mentioned- some

of our group went there and saw cigars being made.

Lots to do in Nassau.

Watch the traffic and walk with another person. Not a place to walk alone- and we do not walk around there at night.

Can you walk to Graycliff and look around, or do you need reservations?

We walked through the main level and around the pool area on our own. We were going to ask someone to give us a quick tour but no one was available. I've seen excursions offered (through the ship perhaps) that give you a thorough tour of the hotel including their world-class wine cellar and also the cigar factory.

There is a LOT to see in Nassau at walking distance, unfortunately - thanks to a LOT of bad mouthing - and special interests that scare cruise travelers to go on Shorex or just stay onboard ... Many do not venture out.

Here a list of my favorite places to visit (most at walking distance): John Watling's Distillery, Balcony House, Fort Fincastle, Graycliff Hotel, the National Art Gallery, Pompey Museum, Arawak Cay, Queen’s Staircase, Christ Church Cathedral, Garden of Remembrance, Government House, Nassau Public Library and Museum ... Have written about all and have great photos as well on my signature website.

There is a LOT to see in Nassau at walking distance, unfortunately - thanks to a LOT of bad mouthing - and special interests that scare cruise travelers to go on Shorex or just stay onboard ... Many do not venture out.

Here a list of my favorite places to visit (most at walking distance): John Watling's Distillery, Balcony House, Fort Fincastle, Graycliff Hotel, the National Art Gallery, Pompey Museum, Arawak Cay, Queen’s Staircase, Christ Church Cathedral, Garden of Remembrance, Government House, Nassau Public Library and Museum ... Have written about all and have great photos as well on my signature website.

You seem to know Nassau very well. We have quite a few things we want to see, will this walking tour be possible, we are in port from 12-7. Queens staircase, the post office, fort fincastle, the Catholic church, Whatlings and then Junknoo beach, finishing with Pirate Brewing?

Thanks for all of the great suggestions for walking in Nassau. Just got back from our cruise and had a wonderful time. Really enjoyed walking to the Graycliff Hotel (gorgeous pool and wine bottle tree), The Catholic Church, John Watlings Distillery (the best pina colata ever) and then walking down to the Tiki Bikini Hut on Junkanoo Beach (drink specials with Free Wifi). Walking along Junkanoo beach was fun, too. We had the best time ever!!

• 2 weeks later...

What would be the best things and how to get there for a group of adults, 2 of which can't walk far. Booked last minute and no time for planning.

Watch out for people surrounding the port using every dirty trick in the book trying to get your money. Don't feel bad if you have to be rude to get past them.
You don't have to be rude! A polite no thank you has always worked for me. The folks are just trying to make a living an the Bahamians are very nice people..

You don't have to be rude! A polite no thank you has always worked for me. The folks are just trying to make a living an the Bahamians are very nice people..

i was just there and after the 1st polite no thank you i feel all bets are off.

i really do think some of them think by goading you you will buy something.

best line of the day was a woman telling my friend to come look at her shirts....then 1 second later she saw the stick and realized she was blind and said oh sorry.

I'm not advocating being rude but sometimes you have no choice. A woman tried to sell me something, I gave a polite no thank you and as I started to walk away she put something around my neck without my permission and demanded money. I wasn't going to let manners allow this woman to extort money from me.

I said "Don't feel bad if you have to be rude to get past them". I had to be rude to get past her, I had little choice, and I'm not going to feel bad about that.

As you say she was just trying to make a living and might be a nice person but what she did also met the technical definition of assault.