"This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life"

On our most recent Liberty cruise last month the service was not as good as the RCCL cruise before, and the service on that cruise was not as good as the cruise before that, and so on since we started cruising Royal again 5 years ago. 5 years ago we gave 10s (or maybe the top score was 5 back then) because we were very impressed that the service had not deteriorated at all during our 3 year hiatus.

We took a point off when the succeeding cruise was not as good as the previous, and if we had held to that methodology on each successive cruise it would have been a 5 out of 10 last month. But we didn't want to get they guy fired (or make him cry as it seemed like he might) so we gave an 8 and put comments very similar to this where we could.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

On our most recent Liberty cruise last month the service was not as good as the RCCL cruise before, and the service on that cruise was not as good as the cruise before that, and so on since we started cruising Royal again 5 years ago. 5 years ago we gave 10s (or maybe the top score was 5 back then) because we were very impressed that the service had not deteriorated at all during our 3 year hiatus.

We took a point off when the succeeding cruise was not as good as the previous, and if we had held to that methodology on each successive cruise it would have been a 5 out of 10 last month. But we didn't want to get they guy fired (or make him cry as it seemed like he might) so we gave an 8 and put comments very similar to this where we could.

Is it possible that the reason service is going downhill is because the worst service staff is getting high grades? Is giving a low performer high grades fair to the better performers?

Is it possible that the reason service is going downhill is because the worst service staff is getting high grades? Is giving a low performer high grades fair to the better performers?

I honestly believe that it has a lot more to do with crew members being asked to handle more people, but it sure seems like the expectation from RCCL (and other lines) is that this cut corner be transparent to the customer. It isn't and I wish the surveys were constructed in a way to evaluate high level management decisions separate from the crew that is expected to implement them. But since the surveys are put in place by the management types, I don't hold out much hope that they will subject themselves to the same level of scrutiny that they subject their employees to.

Unfortunately, like in any customer service situation, they lump and rate everything has a whole. One low mark in one area unfortunately, kills the entire survey so staff is held accountable.I worked as a CSR for a time, for each NON excellent survey i received Good fair or bad it literally knocked my CSI (customer service index) down. For every good survey, it took me 10 excellent's to get it back up. That what he means when he says that is his life. There is no easy answer here. Anything less then 5 star, he is now held accountable!

Unfortunately, like in any customer service situation, they lump and rate everything has a whole. One low mark in one area unfortunately, kills the entire survey so staff is held accountable.I worked as a CSR for a time, for each NON excellent survey i received Good fair or bad it literally knocked my CSI (customer service index) down. For every good survey, it took me 10 excellent's to get it back up. That what he means when he says that is his life. There is no easy answer here. Anything less then 5 star, he is now held accountable!

Every shop or service we use now asks you to fill in a survey.

I have learned a lot reading these threads seeing both sides of the argument which i will take onboard for my next cruise survey.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

:hearteyes:

Every shop or service we use now asks you to fill in a survey.

I have learned a lot reading these threads seeing both sides of the argument which i will take onboard for my next cruise survey.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately every area of the ship is held responsible when the company loses money. But those surveys yes are awful. Im starting to see them on land to as well. A gas station Circle K in Florida asks you to rate the service from excellent to poor. Its Crazy but they want to know if its the service that is costing them potential money loss.

Frankly who cares and why ? If they are pleasant and efficient then I don't care if their smiles are genuine . They work long hours under tough condition thousand of miles and months from home . And all for tips !

I respect them and the work they do .It would be obnoxious to expect any more .

I ditto that. And i would like to add if they were disingenuous then i give them more kudos for trying to please even if their heart was not in it at the time for whatever reason. We all have had bad days. :)