"This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life"

Since my company uses this type of survey as a major one of the employees Job metrics and less than a 10 as cost people to lose jobs. I refuse to do surveys at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our company has a survey that judges the company itself. The employees judge the Company. Maybe this would be a better way for them to find out where the problems stem from. And how to improve.

Our company has a survey that judges the company itself. The employees judge the Company. Maybe this would be a better way for them to find out where the problems stem from. And how to improve.

We got off Freedom yesterday and i have already received and replied to the cruise survey.

We had a fantastic time,no one asked us about the survey but i gave 10s because everyone deserved them.

We were on Anthem last week and it was mentioned the one time we ate in Chic, and also over the PA in the Windjammer. Come to think of it, the waiter in Coastal Kitchen may have said something too, but I'm not sure.

I also noticed the question on the survey, which I thought was interesting! So RCI is aware this is being done. I agree that if the food is less than great, it is not the servers fault.

We got off Freedom yesterday and i have already received and replied to the cruise survey.

We had a fantastic time,no one asked us about the survey but i gave 10s because everyone deserved them.

That is exactly how it should work. If everything was deserving of a 10, then give it a 10. Sounds like you must have had a wonderful cruise. Our JOTS cruise in February was good, but there were definitely room for improvement, especially with the deserts (and to a lesser extent the other food) in the MDR. We gave 10's for numerous things (wait staff, hotel staff, bartenders), but the food was more in the 5 or 6 category. Not inedible, just not a shining star.

That is exactly how it should work. If everything was deserving of a 10, then give it a 10. Sounds like you must have had a wonderful cruise. Our JOTS cruise in February was good, but there were definitely room for improvement, especially with the deserts (and to a lesser extent the other food) in the MDR. We gave 10's for numerous things (wait staff, hotel staff, bartenders), but the food was more in the 5 or 6 category. Not inedible, just not a shining star.

We went into Chops grill first night on the bogo and Giovanni's the next night.

Giovannis was much better and our waiter Roderick was outstanding so we ended up going there 3 nights and the other 3 nights in MTD.

Late to the party but at Domino's those surveys were a joke. "LOL Darel you got all 1s and 'fantastic service'" Didn't affect my minimum wage job or job security. I attribute that to excellent management that knew they had the best store in the county. Fear-focused employees make me sad.

You seem to be my kind of people. I always have a good time when i am on vacation also. And if you had a ten vacation that's wonderful. I also think they work very hard to please you. I have been on cruises where the service was a ten. But sometimes i don't think the food or the entertainment is is worthy of a ten. I can see where some improvements can be made to make it a ten. And this is not the fault of the the housekeeping department or the food servers. I have always been satisfied with the housekeeping and servers on all my vacations. Always seemed to meet my expectations and sometimes exceeded them. :)

Late to the party but at Domino's those surveys were a joke. "LOL Darel you got all 1s and 'fantastic service'" Didn't affect my minimum wage job or job security. I attribute that to excellent management that knew they had the best store in the county. Fear-focused employees make me sad.

lol Me too. You should never fear your job security.

It doesn't make a good work environment and then you have to contend with back stabbers and ladder climbers.

The guy who installed my cable yesterday handed me a survey with 10 circled. People are under a lot of pressure and these survey requirement aren't helping

022236a46eda50450819ea1bbebbc4a2.jpg

Am I missing something or does that form not even have a 1-9?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a trip on Liberty. The service in the MDR was very slow. Like 1 hour 40 minutes for dinner! Or, being served prime rib and 10 min later being offered horseradish sauce. Or being served shrimp cocktail and waiting 10-15 min for the cocktail sauce. The waiter/assistant also BOTH reminded us of how very important good reviews were to them. The waiter told us Friday (6th day) night to let him know if things weren't excellent. Friday night? Should he not have said something like that the first night?

And I did not fill out the survey.

Edited by CCC3

Just got back from a trip on Liberty. The service in the MDR was very slow. Like 1 hour 40 minutes for dinner! Or, being served prime rib and 10 min later being offered horseradish sauce. Or being served shrimp cocktail and waiting 10-15 min for the cocktail sauce. The waiter/assistant also BOTH reminded us of how very important good reviews were to them. The waiter told us Friday (6th day) night to let him know if things weren't excellent. Friday night? Should he not have said something like that the first night?

And I did not fill out the survey.

That sounds like terrible service,i personally would have told the waiter or head waiter straight away if the relevant condiments were not brought with or shortly later.

To then ask for excellent survey results is utter cheek.

I can't believe this was on the survey, but I answered truthfully...

• Were you asked by any of crew member onboard this voyage to provide positive ratings/ reviews on this survey?

• Yes
    • No

• If you were asked to provide positive ratings/reviews on this survey, please identify the crew member(s) that asked you

• Guest services staff
    • Main dining room wait staff
    • Windjammer wait staff
    • Stateroom attendant
    • Spa personnel
    • Gym personnel
    • Shore excursion personnel
    • Cruise director
    • Activities staff
    • Ship Officers
    • Other
    • I was not asked to provide positive ratings/reviews

Just getting off LOTs today, great Cruise overall, our dining staff was no where near the best of the lot we've experienced in 27 cruises, but they were fine.

Almost every night we were reminded about the survey and how important it was by our waiter. It was just pitiful and made the whole dining experience less enjoyable. Don't need guilt trips for dessert - just coffee please.

The only thing we complained to the head waiter about had nothing to do with service. They created a large table next to ours to accommodate a party of 12. As a result, getting seated for us was like getting seated in coach (in dresses for the girls). Everything for the folks by the window had to be handed down, certainly no room to pull out a chair for a lady, or for a waiter to do the napkin, cheese grating or pepper things.

The head waiter was trying to make it the waiter's fault and we told him , has nothing to do with him, just the person who decided to meet the special request of the large party next to us at our expense. Nevertheless, our waiter disappeared for 15 mins after that and came back visibly upset apologizing for the issue. He screwed some things up for the rest of the night. The head waiter was a jerk and I'm hoping the survey will allow us to be kind to our waiter while calling out the head waiter.

I just did the survey and it seems like a waste. It really bothers me how we are supposed to rate things with little or no feedback. A number doesn't tell the whole story.

We enjoyed Chops and WJ for dinners on our recent Anthem cruise. We were in the MDR twice on MTD and we did not enjoy it. Food was fine. Service, although they were trying, was uncomfortable. One night they stuck us in regular dining area, in between services. First seating was finishing up and we ended our meal right before second seating started.

We felt very out of place as tables emptied around us as we were still eating our entrees. Servers were obviously stressed as they tried to serve us while cleaning up and setting up the next dinner service. Also, we were in the middle of two 'complaining' tables. I heard one woman complaining to the head waiter, 'His lobster tail was awful, we took a picture of it, do you want to see it?' shows picture. "but the waiter brought us a new one right out..." They complained on and on; it was painful to listen to. Their table was about 2 feet away so you couldn't not hear it.

The table on the other side of us had a long list of gluten free, allergy, preference type requests. The head waiter talked to them for a majority of our meal (maybe half hour). The father was just staring into space as the wife described everything.

Next night we requested an actual MTD room. We were next to a table of 12-14 and service was impersonal and rushed. No relaxing atmosphere. Just not pleasant. I don't blame the waiters, I blame RC, and I did write something to that effect on my survey.

This ratings thing is out of control and does not fix the essential problems of not enough servers for a good dining room experience. On this ship I would stick to specialty or WJ.

This ratings thing is out of control and does not fix the essential problems of not enough servers for a good dining room experience.
That's not the problem they're trying to solve, though. They're trying to determine which service team members best contribute to the bottom line by making the most of the arguably inadequate resources, i.e., their time. Maybe there are literally thousands of people vying for each of these jobs, so it makes financial sense to give others a chance if they might work out for the cruise line better given its problem to solve.

That's not the problem they're trying to solve, though. They're trying to determine which service team members best contribute to the bottom line by making the most of the arguably inadequate resources, i.e., their time. Maybe there are literally thousands of people vying for each of these jobs, so it makes financial sense to give others a chance if they might work out for the cruise line better given its problem to solve.

Good thought. Keep the best and cycle out underperformers until you find ones that measure up. That way you are at least making the most out of the budget and resources you are provided.

The logic makes sense, but then reality kicks in and you have outright manipulation of the system, mostly because it's scoring is not readily apparent to those taking the survey. More time and effort must be spent explaining to guests that only 10's are helpful.

It makes me wonder though, is someone that delivers "good" service at a 6-8 level, but mentions the survey and receives a 10 from the guest, really a better long term play for the company than a very good server who provides service at an 8-10 level but never mentions the survey and the guests give a 9 because "Well, nothing is ever perfect, always room for some improvement..."

And it is my personal belief that the food quality is tied to the wait staff rating solely because that wait staff is face to face with guests and for some people they will give a more generous rating when they think about that person as opposed to just an army of cooks and chefs in the kitchen they have not interacted with. If the "food" is highly rated it's not like they are going to seek to improve the quality. Maybe change some menu items, but not the fundamental quality, presentation, etc. <shrug>

All the servers we had were 'good', even excellent. That still didn't help the fact that our MDR experience was unsatisfactory. A human can only do so much in terms of service.

Also how do they know who you are rating if you have MTD and are getting different servers each night?

Edited by marci22

All the servers we had were 'good', even excellent. That still didn't help the fact that our MDR experience was unsatisfactory. A human can only do so much in terms of service.

Also how do they know who you are rating if you have MTD and are getting different servers each night?

If you book the same time for every night we have found often they try to sit us on the same table or with the same waiters.

If you book the same time for every night we have found often they try to sit us on the same table or with the same waiters.

That's what they did for us on the Navigator of the Seas. I have to say that was really good team work in the MDR for us. Every night we were seated at the same table they were really great. Kudos to the MDR staff on the Navigator.:D