"This might be YOUR vacation, but it's MY life"

Unfortunately for a 9 out of 10 to be 'bad' is a ridiculous system.

It is for the gymnastics in the Olympics, but like most things in life, things are relative. So should the ratings system - it should not matter what the score is in absolute terms, it should be put into context with other ships and other times on the same ship.

It is a crying shame if very good crew are reduced to begging for good scores to keep their jobs.

If someone gives scores of 7 or less these should be looked at more closely with questions asked why the score was low.

Is 7 low?

What then of the difference between say a 3 and a 5?

That's pretty much my point: You haven't really said anything that is definitive. Either the passengers can assess their own satisfaction or they cannot. Which? Either the cruise line wants honest appraisal from passengers or they do not. Which? Either they understand both that the crew has tried to influence the ratings, and that there will be some small grade inflation due to that external tampering, or they do not. Which? You cannot have it both ways. Please tell us which.

And please do remember what we're discussing:

First: The cruise line solicits feedback because they want the passenger's view of how well service workers provided them service. Second: The cruise line wants only the best people working for them, they have a right to that, and they have a large enough pool of candidates that it is likely that a new employee could exceed the performance of an employee who passengers find so inadequate that they give them less than perfect scores.

It is that simple.

And so therefore you also know that it is an excellent metric for tracking how well a service worker can delight a customer even in light of difficult circumstances. The best that I've seen in the appraisals I've conducted over many years are able to take situations where products have utterly failed and make the customer feel like they're being paid attention to, being empathized with, and being served as well as possible despite the circumstances. That's who the cruise lines likely want working for them.

You mentioned earlier the impact of these scores. Are you one of those who try to claim that a 2 or a 3 is the exact same thing as an 8 or 9? If so, that's just more of the same nonsense I referred to earlier. All four grades are less than perfect, and therefore not up to the desired standard, but there is no rational basis to claim that they are precisely the same in effect.

Not at all. No one wants tangents to stand as the last word, especially when the misinformation that concerns me is as likely as not to feed into lesser service quality. These appraisal systems are important and so anything that I see feeds into people being inclined against providing honest answers is something that I believe has a significant negative impact on the enjoyment of every Cruise Critic member's vacations.

Just because you believe it doesn't mean you are correct. You have misstated things to make your point. You ignore others who post from personal knowledge and you have not offered any evidence to back up your opinions. And that is all they are, you opinions. All you seem to want to do is create an argument.

All you seem to want to do is create an argument.
Actually, my comments were about the topic. You're posting about me, so it seems that all you seem to want to do is create an argument. I'm not playing that game. I think we've beat this dead horse enough. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

TBH a 3 or 5 they are in the wrong job,i normally give 10 but after reading these posts 7-9 would be more appropriate in future.
As well you should. I do understand why some folks prefer to be less than candid, though: In the United States, with most of the jobs we enjoy in our privileged society, a 7-9 would warrant warnings, significant retraining opportunities, etc. - even in today's extremely rough employment environment. I think a lot of folks want to be insulated from the reality that we are so privileged and from the reality that the folks serving us aboard ship are not given the kind of support and opportunities that we generally have available to us in our jobs.

Unfortunately for a 9 out of 10 to be 'bad' is a ridiculous system.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Agreed.

If you have a scale of 1-10 where 10 is good while 1 through 9 are bad, that means you have 9 degrees of 'bad' for me to choose. That says something about the management and/or the product or service you're selling.

I understand from a customer service perspective you want your employees to strive to be 10's all the time, and will strongly encourage them to achieve it.

(BTW, when you quote people on my ignore list it defeats the purpose of the list... :( but I'll struggle through this thread :D as I do value and enjoy reading your input.)

Agreed.

If you have a scale of 1-10 where 10 is good while 1 through 9 are bad, that means you have 9 degrees of 'bad' for me to choose. That says something about the management and/or the product or service you're selling.

I understand from a customer service perspective you want your employees to strive to be 10's all the time, and will strongly encourage them to achieve it.

(BTW, when you quote people on my ignore list it defeats the purpose of the list... :( but I'll struggle through this thread :D as I do value and enjoy reading your input.)

OMG - You made me spit up my coffee (unless I'm the one on your ignore list :eek: )

Which is why I simplified it. Again: Given that the reason why the cruise lines want honest reviews is to make decisions on which employees to keep and which to let go, how would you get the passengers to provide that input, other than how they are doing it now?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Hire supervisors to observe performance and give constructive advice to improve. But never rely on vacationers view of one's job performance that would result in termination. When you say, that a simple survey is what they would use to fire someone i think that's ridiculous.

I would hope they use the surveys to improve only.

And i believe that this is the case.

Unless you work for the cruise line and have other information.

I am sure they know that not everyone is going to take the time to give a true review of the general performance of the staff. Food , entertainment . The budget in reality determines most of the positive or negative experiences which the staff has nothing to do with. Including the chef.

So that's why they have these surveys to say to those that frequent their ships ,Are we providing you with a good cruise experience ? Is the food up to par? Do we meet or exceed your expectations? Have the staff provided you with excellent customer service.Have the attendants gone above and beyond your expectations. If you give less than tens this is a red flag of areas they can improve. Whether the problem is the budget or cutting corners or the staff it may become more evident to them where the strengths are and where the improvements can be made.

Hire supervisors to observe performance and give constructive advice to improve.
Of course, word is that they recently cut staff in the dining rooms to boost profitability so any such idea would have to be profit neutral: The costs for this, just like the costs for everything else, would have to come directly out of the pockets of the passengers. I doubt there are many passengers at this price-point in the marketplace who would prefer increased fares to cover those extra costs of supervision as compared to just using the survey. So while it may seem to make sense on the surface, it's an impractical idea.

But never rely on vacationers view of one's job performance that would result in termination.
I think that goes without saying. I think the folks trying to make people think that that's what actually happens are just trying to deceive people.

I would hope they use the surveys to improve only.
I believe a good part of what folks have relayed, specifically that there is some employment/no employment aspect to the consequences of less than perfect scores. I think it is easy to believe that they could use the average rating over a contract to determine whether to offer a new contract (as opposed to recruiting a new person from the multitudes vying for these very much in-demand positions).

I don't see anyone presenting any reason to believe that the cruise lines uses the surveys to drive "retraining" or such things as we see with performance ratings in the United States. These folks don't have 401(k)s either. I have no doubt that it's a much rougher employment experience.

Actually, my comments were about the topic. You're posting about me, so it seems that all you seem to want to do is create an argument. I'm not playing that game. I think we've beat this dead horse enough. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Every time I see this at work it is from an attorney that does not want to admit defeat. We've read you opinions, now back them up with facts.

"All you seem to want to do is create an argument."

When you see me post, "Let's agree to disagree and move on," you can assume it means that I have no interest in playing the games you're trying to play and I'm just going to go forward engaging in discussion only with those who are actually interested in having a mature discussion.

Of course, word is that they recently cut staff in the dining rooms to boost profitability so any such idea would have to be profit neutral:

It is called the cost of doing business. The lack of proper staffing is the likely cause of falling customer service.

The costs for this, just like the costs for everything else, would have to come directly out of the pockets of the passengers. I doubt there are many passengers at this price-point in the marketplace who would prefer increased fares to cover those extra costs of supervision as compared to just using the survey. So while it may seem to make sense on the surface, it's an impractical idea.

The cost of everything, even the cost of the surveys, is paid for by the customers.

"All you seem to want to do is create an argument."

When you see me post, "Let's agree to disagree and move on," you can assume it means that I have no interest in playing the games you're trying to play and I'm just going to go forward engaging in discussion only with those who are actually interested in having a mature discussion.

Funniest post I have read all day.