How to save $ in Venice?

stickyshocker

Back again, i remember reading thru this thread that foodwise, im better off ordering food from the window and eating at some bar than gettin a table. How much is the difference anyway? How much should i budget for meal for 4 people per day? Is Venice more expensive than Rome? The reason i asked is because we were thinkin' of adding Rome to our itinerary. Thanks in advance my fellow travellers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If saving money is your only option, grabbing a sandwich or snack at a counter/window will be your lowest cost option. That being said, when we are running around Europe we tend to enjoy having a nice lunch at a table :). It is a matter or priorities. Compare at home to grabbing a sandwich in a 7-11 versus sitting at a cafe. As to a daily budget, that is completely depending on your own preferences and spending habits. You can spend hundreds of Euros per day, of only a few pennies.

Comparing Rome to Venice...cost wise is a tough call. Rome certainly has many more options, and if you avoid the main touristy places you can still find some decent pricing in Rome. On the other hand, Rome also has some of the most expensive restaurants in the world....so again, it is a matter of personal preference. One personal tip is if you are going to sit down at a cafe or restaurant, look at the prices before you sit! And read the small print (usually at the bottom of the menus) which will mention add-ons like "Copert0" (cover charge) or some other reference to a service/entertainment charge. In Venice it is actually possible to spend over $20 on a single cup of coffee...if you sit at a certain large cafe located near St Marks Square (its why there are lots of empty tables). But even in Rome one can get fooled. I once sat down at a small Rome coffee shop (in an ally far from any tourist site) and was surprised to pay 8€ for a cup of espresso. I just assumed it would be cheap...and forgot to look at the menu.

Hank

Our hotel recommended eateries to us. I think the most we paid at a sit down restaurant was 27 eu for 2. We did eat some stand up and get it at the window food as well. Our breakfast was sumptuous and complimentary, so we ate a light lunch and a good dinner.

Hey Ms. Karen[emoji846], was wonderin if that 27 eu includes gratuities and taxes, full course and do they offer portions that can be shared or are they frowned upon?.. Im gonna deviate for a bit, last night we saw the movie "Inferno- Tom Hanks", my kids saw Venice, they were amused.. I think this will be the highlight ofnour trip, with Mykonos coming in close 2nd.

Hey Ms. Karen[emoji846], was wonderin if that 27 eu includes gratuities and taxes, full course and do they offer portions that can be shared or are they frowned upon?.. Im gonna deviate for a bit, last night we saw the movie "Inferno- Tom Hanks", my kids saw Venice, they were amused.. I think this will be the highlight ofnour trip, with Mykonos coming in close 2nd.

Yes that included a grat. We didn't share except bites back and forth, so I don't know about sharing policies.

In my experience, taking my espresso and cornetto at the bar and standing there while I eat/drink is a few EU less than sitting. Same for my lunch - I'll stand and order at the bar. Now, there are some times when I will do a table for lunch, I know it's going to be a little extra. It all depends on how I feel at the time.

As for gratuity - it is already built into your price, so no extra tipping is needed. There is one time that I do a little monetary bribery - at a very busy coffee shop, after I have bought my beverage at the cashier, I will put my receipt down on the bar with a coin on top of it.

If saving money is your only option, grabbing a sandwich or snack at a counter/window will be your lowest cost option. That being said, when we are running around Europe we tend to enjoy having a nice lunch at a table :). It is a matter or priorities. Compare at home to grabbing a sandwich in a 7-11 versus sitting at a cafe. As to a daily budget, that is completely depending on your own preferences and spending habits. You can spend hundreds of Euros per day, of only a few pennies.

Hank

Thanks Hlitner for the 7-11 point, doable if its just me and the wife, but with the bambinos in tow, i don't think its gonna fly. Seems like table for 4 is inevitable at least for dinner, and hotel with free brekky is a must.

Also, lately been ponderin' if i could pull this trip off sooner than later, i'm thinkin of 8 weeks from now or so (cruise is too long of a wait, so land trip plus a few cities here and there) I will have to review this thread plus the latest infos you guys have tossed, maybe just maybe i can arrive to the conclusion of why not..

Venice is a challenge to me, $20 coffee, $700-900 avg hotel stay etc..etc.

Thank you and i appreciate your input so much.

you might think "outside the box" and research alternative options when travelling with your children in tow...you might check with the nearest Italian Consulate to see if they can suggest opportunities for your family to stay with a family in Venice (think a B&B exchange ) that would provide an opportunity for your kids to interact with their counterparts in Venice to have a"mini immersion" vacation experience

think less like a typical Venice vacation tourist and more like if a family in Venice wanted to visit you in your home town with their children in tow, how would you host them

if it was just you and your spouse, different story...good luck

Thanks Hlitner for the 7-11 point, doable if its just me and the wife, but with the bambinos in tow, i don't think its gonna fly. Seems like table for 4 is inevitable at least for dinner, and hotel with free brekky is a must.

Also, lately been ponderin' if i could pull this trip off sooner than later, i'm thinkin of 8 weeks from now or so (cruise is too long of a wait, so land trip plus a few cities here and there) I will have to review this thread plus the latest infos you guys have tossed, maybe just maybe i can arrive to the conclusion of why not..

Venice is a challenge to me, $20 coffee, $700-900 avg hotel stay etc..etc.

Thank you and i appreciate your input so much.

Coffee anywhere outside of Piazza San Marco will not be $20. In a back street, it should be $2-3 at the most. Hotels can be had for much less than $700/night, especially outside of the high season. Don't be afraid to read reviews for 2* hotels. They will be plain and basic, but usually spotlessly clean.

If you're doing a land trip with the family, maybe base yourselves somewhere else, such as Verona. Come in on the train for a day, and see other places the rest of the time. Your children may enjoy other towns just as much or more than Venice.

We would agree with the other poster then not all coffee costs $20. My reference to that outrage is specific to a couple of tourist-trap cafes located around St Marks Square. Coffee in Italy is actually quite cheap...especially if you do it like the Italians and just stand at the bar :).

As to Venice hotels, there are lower cost (but not cheap) options. When we cruise out of Venice we like to stay at the small "Ca Doge" which is an inn - like hotel located right in the Piazale Roma. They usually have rates around $200-$250 which includes a pretty decent breakfast. One can do Venice at a reduced cost by simply avoiding high-end hotels and tourist trap restaurants.

When we do extended driving trips in Italy, we will often choose modern hotels that are located outside the most expensive centers. But when it comes to Venice, we always prefer to be in Venice...(as opposed to nearby places like Mestre) because of the convenience and charm.

Hank

Comparing Rome to Venice...cost wise is a tough call. Rome certainly has many more options, and if you avoid the main touristy places you can still find some decent pricing in Rome. On the other hand, Rome also has some of the most expensive restaurants in the world....so again, it is a matter of personal preference. One personal tip is if you are going to sit down at a cafe or restaurant, look at the prices before you sit! And read the small print (usually at the bottom of the menus) which will mention add-ons like "Copert0" (cover charge) or some other reference to a service/entertainment charge. In Venice it is actually possible to spend over $20 on a single cup of coffee...if you sit at a certain large cafe located near St Marks Square (its why there are lots of empty tables). But even in Rome one can get fooled. I once sat down at a small Rome coffee shop (in an ally far from any tourist site) and was surprised to pay 8€ for a cup of espresso. I just assumed it would be cheap...and forgot to look at the menu.

Hank

I am echo your observation - in 2015 in Rome we paid $50 for 5 cups of cappuccinos in the cafe near the Vatican, by the bar - it was 2.5 euros. each. My cousin saved the bill as a souvenir. And 15 years ago we were in Venice on the cruise, coming back to ship one lady said that she just had $12 small bottle of coke at the cafe at St. Marks.

Forgot I had this. A little Periscope of the Hotel Olimpia. Hope the link works.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/a1GOJTFKUkVtTmtXR2VRUHl8MWRSS1pSd3pNenZLQsdLV4dQ0Nsj8dr6VaeDkP65iogl50oyGNbmagSr_Ew5

What a painful tease Lol! .. I checked the price for March break and its really decent, 5 nights will cost me the same price of 2 nts pre cruise stay next fall. Whats up with that? My deviation drum beat keeps gettin' louder...and louder.