How to save $ in Venice?

stickyshocker

All my pictures aren't there. But they are on my FB page.

Ah Fb, one thing i like there is they support Pano and 360 pics, and from the looks of your trip, it will be a great 360 camera material.

I am a member of an Oasis group in fb, i got notifications on since i joined couple months ago but i never saw someone posted a date of new and fresh releases, i found it here one time but i was a day behind.

btw that sail away pic put a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing it[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ah Fb, one thing i like there is they support Pano and 360 pics, and from the looks of your trip, it will be a great 360 camera material.

I am a member of an Oasis group in fb, i got notifications on since i joined couple months ago but i never saw someone posted a date of new and fresh releases, i found it here one time but i was a day behind.

btw that sail away pic put a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing it[emoji106]

I have a bunch of pano's that I made!!!

Also, I agree about tours at ports. At Santorini, eight of us on our cruise Critic roll call booked a private tour with Viator, we set our itinerary, and I cannot imagine having taken any other tour. It was $57 each for that amazing tour. viator is not gonna let you miss the ship.

Yes, we climbed and climbed that day, and this view is etched in my memory. But I don't know if it would be if I were a small child. A few pictures.

Hotel out front

36255d8287ce39a66c2a3a0c3a1dc8ea.jpg

Gardens behind the hotel

b2469ddc54b5af64b3eb0801a234ec8d.jpg

Venice Sailaway

9beb11929ad220b0690d39fff5f020ec.jpg

Santorini (Oia)

b729d79521a7bba5cba214838fd4dec5.png

Santorini terrain

4381aa6417867a4fc7f4747d4018e0e2.jpg

Viator is nothing more than a third party booking agent who clips the ticket on the way through. The only difference between Viator and a cruise line is that Viator take a smaller clip

Viator is nothing more than a third party booking agent who clips the ticket on the way through. The only difference between Viator and a cruise line is that Viator take a smaller clip

Yes, I know that. Like the cruise line, the do have a statement about making sure you get back to port. Our third party was Santorini Day Tours. Knowing that, I would check their prices the next time although this way, we weren't collecting for a group, etc. that $57 would be hard to beat for 5-6 hours.

Yes, I know that. Like the cruise line, the do have a statement about making sure you get back to port. Our third party was Santorini Day Tours. Knowing that, I would check their prices the next time although this way, we weren't collecting for a group, etc. that $57 would be hard to beat for 5-6 hours.

I just checked. We would have saved a whopping $7 each by booking with third party directly.

The guarantee doesn't extend to covering you if they have an issue and you miss the ship sailing. Its a hollow guarantee in reality as all tour operators endeavour to ensure that one is returned to the ship before sailaway. The $7 saving by booking direct is a beer at lunch

The guarantee doesn't extend to covering you if they have an issue and you miss the ship sailing. Its a hollow guarantee in reality as all tour operators endeavour to ensure that one is returned to the ship before sailaway. The $7 saving by booking direct is a beer at lunch

Ok, we felt that $57 was better than the $110 the ship wanted. We have had great luck with independent tours, and had a 3 hour window on the end to get back.

Part of the reason I said that about taking two small children is that I had three small children myself at one time. We had our daughter, and 22 months later, we had twins. So, for example, we had a four year old, and two 2 year olds. We took them to Disney and on stateside vacations where we were out and going a lot. It was tiring, they would get cranky (and they were good kids), but worst of all, they really have NO real memories of going those places. They really only started remembering their trips when they were 7-8, when we spent a week in Washington DC and Colonial Virginia, and when, as a teacher, I spent the summer we went, taking them to the library each day to share the places we were going. White House, The capitol, the Smithsonian's, and then to Colonial Williamsburg.

My thought, and have encouraged our children, who have kids ranging from 7 to 11 (we have three granddaughters) is to save and wait to go. They have done so. My granddaughter is who is 11, is going on her 1st really big trip this summer. She did Disney at age 9, and other places since age 7. She can tell you about where she has been.

The thing I realized about ours was that if I was taking them when they wouldn't remember going, I was taking them for my joy of seeing them go, not for their joy and understanding of where they had been. And, we spent a lot of money at times, and wore ourselves and them out, and they didn't remember going. Does that make sense.

Also, there are far easier places to take children abroad than Venice and Mediterranean ports. In Venice, every day trip there will be lots of stairs to navigate, water taxis/vaporettos to navigate, and if you're not in Venice proper, you can't easily go back to the hotel for them to rest awhile.

The ports, like Santorini, a tender port, involve climbing, uneven pavement with holes here and there, and it's amazing and beautiful, but tiring even for adults. Will they remember going? Heck, I'd go to London, or Arizona to the Grand Canyon or to Banff ( just examples) where the overall terrain would be friendlier for all of you.

No wonder you were cringing at the price. 675 USD us was steep for three nights but many were higher. I'm glad others agreed with me about staying in Venice proper and I agree with the person who said stay at the airport the first night to save, but you have to pack it all up again and move.

The Olimpia was wonderful. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Be sure to sign up for Oasis 4 in March 2017 the first day it opens. We paid less than $2000 for 13 nights on an amazing ship in a D6 oceanview balcony room. Loved the ship. After the first day of booking the prices skyrocketed.

Hope what I have shared helps, as it is offered as a mom and a granny and is offered in a spirit of helpfulness.

Our kid's first overseas trip was across the ditch to New Zealand when they were 5 and 7. It rained the whole 3 weeks, they whinged and it was really a waste of time and money.

I think you have to have very realistic expectations when travelling with kids.

I would highly recommend getting an apartment through Airbnb or similar site.

You will have much more space for the same price or less than a hotel.

We did this last year for 3 nights before our cruise (we cruised out of Civitavicchia) just took the train the morning of the cruise.

We took the public water bus, children up to the age of 5 are free, from the airport to the city and the apartment owner met us at the water bus stop and walked us to the apartment.

This is also a great way to get your first look at Venice, from the water.

And you won't have to pay for a tour on the canal, because it will give you the same views as the water bus ride.

Lois

Edited by electro

I would highly recommend getting an apartment through Airbnb or similar site.

You will have much more space for the same price or less than a hotel.

We did this last year for 3 nights before our cruise (we cruised out of Civitavicchia) just took the train the morning of the cruise.

We took the public water bus, children up to the age of 5 are free

Lois

I did looked, never used airbnb but i'll get to try this xmas.

public water bus AKA Vaporetto right? How bout older kids, do they get discount at least?

• 3 weeks later...

Children under 6 travel free. Otherwise they have to have a full fare ticket.

A great way to save money on the vaporetti is to buy a one day card. This costs €20 per person and gives unlimited travel for a day on the entire boat network. We used it to go around Venice but also to go out to Torcello, in the lagoon. (stops on that route include Murano (glass factories) and Burano.) If you haven't been to Torcello you should go there. It is heavenly. The little basilica is a gem. And the Locanda Cipriani is a great place for lunch, though it is quite expensive.

There are some good strategies for Venice (and most other ports) which have been posted here over the years. But since the OP asked, we will post a few of our favorite strategies. We are assuming that a cruiser is going to spend one or more nights in Venice (pre cruise). It all starts with booking a hotel reservation...and in Venice,,,,location is very important. And a major consideration is whether you are capable of easily handling all your own luggage, because if you cannot do this, our strategy would change. But lets assume you are capable of dealing with your own luggage.

We suggest booking a hotel located in, or very close to the Piazale Roma. Our own favorite is called Ca Doge, but there are a few others such as the Olimpia and Santa Chiara. These are not the best hotels in Venice, but their location does simplify things (and also can cut costs). Once you claim your luggage (at Marco Polo) just walk out the door, cross the first lane to the pedestrian island, and purchase (from the vending machine) a ticket for the ATVO Bus. These leave every 20 min (from the curb right in front of you) and are inexpensive comfortable express buses that whisk you directly to the Piazale Roma. If you have a hotel in this area you can then simply walk to your hotel. Otherwise, at the P. Roma you can access the vaporetto (water buses) system (also called the ACTV). Speaking of the vaporettos, we suggest purchasing a timed ticket (they are sold for 24, 48, 72......hours) which give you unlimited use of all the vaporettos. These water buses can get you around Venice and to any (and all) of the islands in the Lagoon such as Murano, Burano, Lido, etc.

Eating in Venice can be expensive so one is well advised to study menu options before you sit in a restaurant or cafe. Also pay attention to the fine print at the bottom of menus which might tell you about things like "Coperto" or cover charge,and some kind of reference to "Servizio" or service charge...which is generally INCLUDED in the cost. In Italy, tipping is just not done like in the USA. Most cafes/restaurants include the service charge (usually 10-15%). If service is good you can leave a little extra (many Europeans just leave some small change or perhaps an extra 1-2€.

Also beware that some cafes, especially the large outdoor cafes in St Marks Square...may add other charges such as an "entertainment charge." There may not even be any entertainment...but they will still add the charge which can be hefty. We like to say that St Marks Square is the home of the $20 coffee :). Personally we avoid those cafes (and you will usually see many empty tables for good reason) but there are plenty of crazy tourists who will sit down and later get a big financial shock.

And finally we would issue a standard caution about always being aware of your surroundings....and carefully minding your luggage and valuables. Like any tourist city in Europe, Venice has its share pickpockets/purse snatchers and those who would quickly steal unattended luggage.

Hank

P.S. For fellow Do It yourselfers (DIYers) we recommend the Rick Steves Venice guide.

Edited by Hlitner

Yep, a little help here. Sailing on RCI and from Venice, looking for all kinds of ways to save from alternative airport, transfers, pre cruise stays and what nots. I'll absorb all the information any of you will give. Thank you in advance:)

We've stayed before at the Hotel Falier. Small, quiet. We'll be staying there again pre and post cruise next August. A bit of a walk from the vaparretto stop, but oh well....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've stayed before at the Hotel Falier. Small, quiet. We'll be staying there again pre and post cruise next August. A bit of a walk from the vaparretto stop, but oh well....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not "Oh well!" The issue, for some, is their ability to haul their luggage up, over, and down the many pedestrian bridges of Venice. Short walks are fine until you factor-in bridges. One reason we love staying at Ca Doge is that we can walk from the ATVO bus stop to the small hotel/inn across a totally flat area without a single bridge. Many frequent Venice visitors think in terms of "how many bridges" more then distance :).

Hank

I do understand the mobility thing Hank. We were there for about 10 days in 2007. The first part of the stay was work-related and reimbursed. The rest of the stay was on our own, and we moved to the less-expensive Falier. My wife was about six weeks into recovery from knee surgery and so was noticing the bridges. Venice is not designed with today's accessibility standards in mind!

Personally, I consider every bridge in Venice to be another set of photo ops and will seek them out rather than trying to avoid them.

I do understand the mobility thing Hank. We were there for about 10 days in 2007. The first part of the stay was work-related and reimbursed. The rest of the stay was on our own, and we moved to the less-expensive Falier. My wife was about six weeks into recovery from knee surgery and so was noticing the bridges. Venice is not designed with today's accessibility standards in mind!

Personally, I consider every bridge in Venice to be another set of photo ops and will seek them out rather than trying to avoid them.

Agree that the bridges are worth seeing (as is all of Venice and the other islands in the Lagoon). But Venice is a difficult place for those with mobility issues and that is never going to change. So folks who have a difficult time getting around need to have a carefully researched game plan. For those of us who are very mobile, it is a really fun city in which to get delightfully lost :). After many visits we discovered that there is a lot more to Venice then St Marks Square (an area we now prefer to avoid) and the Rialto Bridge area.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Agree that the bridges are worth seeing (as is all of Venice and the other islands in the Lagoon). But Venice is a difficult place for those with mobility issues and that is never going to change. So folks who have a difficult time getting around need to have a carefully researched game plan. For those of us who are very mobile, it is a really fun city in which to get delightfully lost :). After many visits we discovered that there is a lot more to Venice then St Marks Square (an area we now prefer to avoid) and the Rialto Bridge area.

Hank

Venice afterdark is magical. Many of the daytime visitors have gone back to Maestre or wherever and a calm settles over the city... I am so looking forward to getting back there this August-September!

Stan

p757710418-3.jpg

p890880055-3.jpg

p685805175-3.jpg

p822755382-3.jpg

p2154083949-4.jpg

My two cents.

You can do virtually any port in the Med on your own, without using an expensive ship tour. I'd take any money you might put toward that and book a hotel IN Venice, not in Mestre.

Venice is one of the most unique cities in the world. Do you want to spend your time there shuttling to and from Mestre and then from the train station to wherever in Venice you want to be?

My suggestion would be to look on websites for good, recommended two-star hotels in Venice proper. Then email the hotel directly about rooms and prices -- you'll get the best price this way and often rooms for 4 are hard to book online.

Agree 100% with this post. Pick and choose other ports to save money in. One of my great vacation memories is a beautiful hotel room right over a side canal at Locanda Orseolo near St Marks. From the location, it was great to just walk around Venice or look out my window at gondolas passing by. We have one night in Venice and we're staying in that same location and same room. My wife and I will also pony up for 100 euros for the gondola ride too. It's just part of the cost of this city being part of a special vacation.

One other thing about Venice. Enjoy it as a cruise port and the sail aways while you can. Only medium size ships can go there now and there is pressure to eliminate the medium sized ships as well.

Wow![emoji4] Lots of solid information ( actually more than the book i've been reading the past 2 days.. pic below) I've had 2 relatives that are very interested on joining my family on this unique trip, and was busy tryin' to find ways to prove to 'em that it can be done w/o breaking the bank... Thanks a lot! Keep it comin'.389fe2fbce9c96aa57888c1e3bfb3786.jpg

Venice afterdark is magical. Many of the daytime visitors have gone back to Maestre or wherever and a calm settles over the city... I am so looking forward to getting back there this August-September!

Stan

You do not want to get me started on Mestre! There have been many here on CC, over the years, that suggest cruisers stay in Mestre. And we like to compare Mestre with somebody visiting New York City...who spends their nights in Newark! We love walking around Venice late at night (after a late dinner) and taking the later vaporettos. In fact, if you go to St Marks Square after dark, it is a mystical place with no crowds, pigeons (don;t know where they hide at night) and vendors. A majority of folks who crowd Venice during the day, leave late afternoon to head for their tourist class hotels in Mestre and other places far from town.

Yes, Mestre does have it use for some cruisers. But for those who have mobility and can afford the somewhat higher Venice prices...it is the place to stay.

Hank

Stan

You do not want to get me started on Mestre! There have been many here on CC, over the years, that suggest cruisers stay in Mestre. And we like to compare Mestre with somebody visiting New York City...who spends their nights in Newark! We love walking around Venice late at night (after a late dinner) and taking the later vaporettos. In fact, if you go to St Marks Square after dark, it is a mystical place with no crowds, pigeons (don;t know where they hide at night) and vendors. A majority of folks who crowd Venice during the day, leave late afternoon to head for their tourist class hotels in Mestre and other places far from town.

Yes, Mestre does have it use for some cruisers. But for those who have mobility and can afford the somewhat higher Venice prices...it is the place to stay.

Hank

Hey, I resemble that remark - I visited NYC for 2 days on the way to Egypt and I stayed at the W Hoboken!!! Great view of Lower Manhattan and just a ferry ride away ;)

Most of the time, Mestre is recommended only if the poster has an early flight out of VCE or the late flight into VCE. For those times, it could be price and time reasonable to stay out there. But, other than that, you are right - if you are not mobility-challenged, absolutely try to stay within Venice! Or, at least at Piazzale Roma...