How to save $ in Venice?

stickyshocker

A little reading on the board would reveal the common recommendation to stay in Mestre, rather than Venice. Also, to possibly fly into a place like Milan and take the train.

Th transport methods have a wide range of prices, and will depend on you are coming from, and staying at. Water taxi (most expensive) land taxi, land bus and water bus all might work for you.

All the issues you ask about have been discussed many times here. A little research will help you mix and match the issues to best suit your needs and budget.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Foodwise - walk around and find a bar that has sandwiches ("panini") in the window. Go in and order one that sounds good. Eat at the bar, not at a table to save a few Euros. Or, find one that has good-looking small plates, called "cicchetti" (like tapas), and dive in. If you want to sit at a restaurant, go in a few blocks to avoid more tourist places (and tourist prices).

For airfare, look for your least expensive flight from Toronto to anywhere in Italy and then check on the price of a train ticket from there to Venice.

If you want to go uber-cheap, you can always check for a hostel in Venice - they aren't just for backpacking 20-somethings anymore! Do a net search for hostels that take adults...

Here are my thoughts....

Take the bus from the airport to Piazzle Roma. That is the last place for ground transportation. I would stay near P.Roma (I've stayed at Hotel Arlecchino which is one small bridge away). You can walk from the hotel to the people mover to catch your ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with Baseball Fan, use the bus from the airport to save significantly.

While Mestre is cheaper it's also rather soulless. If you take your time looking and book early you can get comparable deals in Venice proper.

Another hint is to walk everywhere in Venice rather than take the vaporettos, which are wildly overcrowded anyway. Venice is fairly small so walking is possible, plus you see a lot more that way.

Avoid restaurants anywhere near Piazza San Marco, move away from the tourist hot spots to find places to eat. Check the menus outside for prices before committing to a restaurant.

You can look for flights to Treviso but I doubt you'd save much that way. The only airport that might provide a savings would be Milan, but then you have to take into account the cost of getting to Venice from Milan, not to mention the time (several hours between bus or train from the airport to the city followed by the train to Venice).

Venice airport bus info: http://www.atvo.it/allegati/aeroporti/linea_35_dal_30.10.2016_al_25.03.2017.pdf

Yep, a little help here. Sailing on RCI and from Venice, looking for all kinds of ways to save from alternative airport, transfers, pre cruise stays and what nots. I'll absorb all the information any of you will give. Thank you in advance:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In terms of airfare, include any airport from a city with easy train connections to Venice - Milan, Rome, Zurich, Munich and even Paris would be on my radar. Always consider the total cost of this - saving $50 in airfare probably isn't worth it, saving $3-400 is.

Have you any hotel points? Could be a good time to use them. We stayed 2 nights on points at the Boscolo Venezia (affiliated with Marriott), and it was absolutely lovely.

I secured this sailing just this morning, and from what i've read so far, i could actually get it done:).. btw it's a family of 4 hence the scrimp mode.

In terms of airfare, include any airport from a city with easy train connections to Venice - Milan, Rome, Zurich, Munich and even Paris would be on my radar. Always consider the total cost of this - saving $50 in airfare probably isn't worth it, saving $3-400 is.

Have you any hotel points? Could be a good time to use them. We stayed 2 nights on points at the Boscolo Venezia (affiliated with Marriott), and it was absolutely lovely.

Im HHonors but open for anything even Airbnb.

I secured this sailing just this morning, and from what i've read so far, i could actually get it done:).. btw it's a family of 4 hence the scrimp mode.

Im HHonors but open for anything even Airbnb.

When is the trip? How much time do you have.

If you have points with Hilton, there is a very nice Hilton (Molino Stucky) in Venice, so getting that free would save you a nice chunk of change. There is also another family member in Mestre, IIRC.

When is the trip? How much time do you have.

If you have points with Hilton, there is a very nice Hilton (Molino Stucky) in Venice, so getting that free would save you a nice chunk of change. There is also another family member in Mestre, IIRC.

Next fall, by standards i got lots of time, but again this is the part of the world where my $1 becomes 30 cents so tread lightly if i must.

I plan to arrive 2 days prior and 1 day post. Btw, thanks for the Mestre, now i have a starting piece to the puzzle.

Not much left on Hilton, but Marriott can be a possibility if i take their special offer of 30k points.

Next fall, by standards i got lots of time, but again this is the part of the world where my $1 becomes 30 cents so tread lightly if i must.

I plan to arrive 2 days prior and 1 day post. Btw, thanks for the Mestre, now i have a starting piece to the puzzle.

Not much left on Hilton, but Marriott can be a possibility if i take their special offer of 30k points.

Here's a link for a 50k offer: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=lp12&JOBNUM=VMR1207059

Whatever hotel you're looking at, make sure you can get a room for 4, which is pretty hard to find in Europe. It might be better to go the vacation rental route (AirBnB, VRBO, etc.)

Does this party of 4 include children? small children or old enough to manage their own luggage ?

I 2nd the advice to look at flying into another hub then taking the train to Venice. HOWEVER, it might mean additional hotel costs transfers so be sure to weigh all the cost involved.

The ATVO airport express bus is 8E pp for the 20 minute ride. Very comfortable and convenient (like a greyhound bus) with a hold beneath for luggage.

http://www.atvo.it/en-home.html#

Mestre might be a good option for 4. It's only 15 minutes across the causeway from Venice so a cheap, easy commute. Train or bus are less than 2E pp. But again consider the time and cost of staying outside of Venice. Check the hotels in this link. ( this link is full of useful info)

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels-train-station.htm

A good option in Venice and near the Piazzale Roma is the Santa Lucia Hotel.

http://www.hotelslucia.com/

I didn't stay there but checked it out for future use.

Also, borrow some Venice travel books from your library to find cost saving ideas and lodging. ie RICK STEVES

Edited by mapleleaves

Here's a link for a 50k offer: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=lp12&JOBNUM=VMR1207059

Whatever hotel you're looking at, make sure you can get a room for 4, which is pretty hard to find in Europe. It might be better to go the vacation rental route (AirBnB, VRBO, etc.)

Does this party of 4 include children? small children or old enough to manage their own luggage ?

I 2nd the advice to look at flying into another hub then taking the train to Venice. HOWEVER, it might mean additional hotel costs transfers so be sure to weigh all the cost involved.

The ATVO airport express bus is 8E pp for the 20 minute ride. Very comfortable and convenient (like a greyhound bus) with a hold beneath for luggage.

http://www.atvo.it/en-home.html#

Mestre might be a good option for 4. It's only 15 minutes across the causeway from Venice so a cheap, easy commute. Train or bus are less than 2E pp. But again consider the time and cost of staying outside of Venice. Check the hotels in this link. ( this link is full of useful info)

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels-train-station.htm

A good option in Venice and near the Piazzale Roma is the Santa Lucia Hotel.

http://www.hotelslucia.com/

I didn't stay there but checked it out for future use.

Also, borrow some Venice travel books from your library to find cost saving ideas and lodging. ie RICK STEVES

Thanks for all the links.. Yes our party includes 2 small children and will be haulin' a 2 piece luggage max, my goal is not to exceed 6k USD for the entire trip - all in. We won't be purchasing any of those drink/specialty packages onboard and maybe ..just maybe, book one ship excursion then the rest will be DIY. Hope the ports of call will be worth of all this trouble.

If there's anything I wouldn't scrimp on, it would be having a hotel away from Venice proper. We had one just over one bridge away from Piazzale Roma. We bought our transit tickets at the airport for the vaporettos, and we rode the bus mentioned above from the airport to Piazzale Roma.

You are very brave taking 2 small children.

The Europe for Visitors site was a godsend to me.

We stayed at Best Western Hotel Olimpia, but we booked at the hotel's site instead of the Best Western page and got a sumptuous breakfast each day free. The gardens out back ( canal in front) would be a wonderful place for kids. It's pricey, but I felt like I got my money's worth.

Edited by internetwhiz

If there's anything I wouldn't scrimp on, it would be having a hotel away from Venice proper. We had one just over one bridge away from Piazzale Roma. We bought our transit tickets at the airport for the vaporettos, and we rode the bus mentioned above from the airport to Piazzale Roma.

You are very brave taking 2 small children.

The Europe for Visitors site was a godsend to me

Kids Sail Free ;) ... drawback is their airfare so i need to cut cost somewhere. And they were just off Oasis last month, the drill should stay with them for a while.

We stayed at Best Western Hotel Olimpia, but we booked at the hotel's site instead of the Best Western page and got a sumptuous breakfast each day free. The gardens out back ( canal in front) would be a wonderful place for kids. It's pricey, but I felt like I got my money's worth.

Ok i was a tad late from reading your edited post, i checked and for the price (gulp[emoji33]) for staying at this hotel for 2 nts, is equivalent to another cruise for us. I'm still reeling from the Suite i had last month, not that im complaining but i saw it more as an overkill, extra dough i paid there could've covered 90% of this Med cruise. I'll take the quantity route this time.Thanks for the thoughts

Ok i was a tad late from reading your edited post, i checked and for the price (gulp[emoji33]) for staying at this hotel for 2 nts, is equivalent to another cruise for us. I'm still reeling from the Suite i had last month, not that im complaining but i saw it more as an overkill, extra dough i paid there could've covered 90% of this Med cruise. I'll take the quantity route this time.Thanks for the thoughts

Our rate was 225 a nite. Yes that's pricey I guess, it is for us even because we normally stay on Holiday Inn points. However, who knows if we will make it back to Venice again, and I wanted to stay somewhere on the lagoon and handy to things.

What we paid for three nights, wasn't even half the total price for our oceanview room (not extravagant on that, were we?) for 7 nights that went to Dubrovnik, Santorini. and two other ports and it was wonderful.

Hotel personnel gave us amazing suggestions of places to eat in the evenings that didn't break the bank (25 eu for both of us to eat a full meal and have a glass of wine).

We are selectively frugal. We flew over on airmiles, and usually stay on hotel points. We thought Venice merited more. Holiday inn properties were not near the heart of Venice, which was a must for us.

I hope you find the price you are looking for without having to lessen your experience. We also chose not to ride the people mover to the cruise port. The end of it was a long way from the terminal. We shared a taxi from Piazzale Roma (just had to go across one bridge to get to it, close to our hotel). I think it was 25 eu for two couples so 12.5 each couple and we were taken directly to the terminal.

Safe travels. I hope the trip works out for you, and Venice is all that you hope it will be. We had an amazing trip. I still say you are brave souls to take two little ones there.

We were gone 27 days. After the cruise, we flew to Barcelona and spent the night and the next day boarded the Transatlantic on Harmony of the Seas back to the US. Harmony was amazing.

Edited by internetwhiz

My two cents.

You can do virtually any port in the Med on your own, without using an expensive ship tour. I'd take any money you might put toward that and book a hotel IN Venice, not in Mestre.

Venice is one of the most unique cities in the world. Do you want to spend your time there shuttling to and from Mestre and then from the train station to wherever in Venice you want to be?

My suggestion would be to look on websites for good, recommended two-star hotels in Venice proper. Then email the hotel directly about rooms and prices -- you'll get the best price this way and often rooms for 4 are hard to book online.

I agree that shuttling in and out is a waste of time in this beautiful city!

My suggestion is to stay out near the Venice airport the day u arrive. That way it's cheaper and when you get there you will be exhausted after flying overnight. Then move to a more expensive hotel in the lagoon area so you can see the city.

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott several years ago with our kids on points. We took the bus back and forth to the lagoon. We weren't doing a cruise so we didn't have to worry about luggage.

On our visit last year, we stayed at the Marriott in the city, using points plus they charged about $40. We took the train in this time and then got on a water bus to the hotel.

Also suggest you study the layout of Venice and how the water buses work. You don't want to pick an inexpensive hotel off the bus line. Then you have to carry luggage and tired kids around (and get lost!).

But Venice and the sail away is amazing!!

Our rate was 225 a nite. Yes that's pricey I guess, it is for us even because we normally stay on Holiday Inn points. However, who knows if we will make it back to Venice again, and I wanted to stay somewhere on the lagoon and handy to things.

What we paid for three nights, wasn't even half the total price for our oceanview room (not extravagant on that, were we?) for 7 nights that went to Dubrovnik, Santorini. and two other ports and it was wonderful.

Hotel personnel gave us amazing suggestions of places to eat in the evenings that didn't break the bank (25 eu for both of us to eat a full meal and have a glass of wine).

We are selectively frugal. We flew over on airmiles, and usually stay on hotel points. We thought Venice merited more. Holiday inn properties were not near the heart of Venice, which was a must for us.

I hope you find the price you are looking for without having to lessen your experience. We also chose not to ride the people mover to the cruise port. The end of it was a long way from the terminal. We shared a taxi from Piazzale Roma (just had to go across one bridge to get to it, close to our hotel). I think it was 25 eu for two couples so 12.5 each couple and we were taken directly to the terminal.

Safe travels. I hope the trip works out for you, and Venice is all that you hope it will be. We had an amazing trip. I still say you are brave souls to take two little ones there.

We were gone 27 days. After the cruise, we flew to Barcelona and spent the night and the next day boarded the Transatlantic on Harmony of the Seas back to the US. Harmony was amazing.

With free breakfast then yes I can get on with the $225 a nite , i will try again today because the mock booking price for my dates for 2 nights had the BW Olimpia quoting me at $5,671 CAD or 2.5k each for 1 double room.

I'm curious if this was the part why you stated i was brave for taking 2 kids over, or is there any other peculiar challenge that i might be facing ahead that i should be aware of?

I most likely will wait for an Oasis 4 and sail it TA for me to get on that class of ship again, i honestly think that's the only way to fully get the experience, the way you did with Harmony.

Edited by stickyshocker

We stayed in a type of hostel in Mestre, actually a school converted into a conference centre with rooms to let, including family sized rooms. It was a very short bus ride into Venice, something under ten minutes. That 20 minutes a day was well worth it for the money saved: https://www.hotelscombined.com/Hotel/Alle_Lagune_Bed_Breakfast_Venice.htm

There is no need to take a ship's excursion in any port.

Part of the reason I said that about taking two small children is that I had three small children myself at one time. We had our daughter, and 22 months later, we had twins. So, for example, we had a four year old, and two 2 year olds. We took them to Disney and on stateside vacations where we were out and going a lot. It was tiring, they would get cranky (and they were good kids), but worst of all, they really have NO real memories of going those places. They really only started remembering their trips when they were 7-8, when we spent a week in Washington DC and Colonial Virginia, and when, as a teacher, I spent the summer we went, taking them to the library each day to share the places we were going. White House, The capitol, the Smithsonian's, and then to Colonial Williamsburg.

My thought, and have encouraged our children, who have kids ranging from 7 to 11 (we have three granddaughters) is to save and wait to go. They have done so. My granddaughter is who is 11, is going on her 1st really big trip this summer. She did Disney at age 9, and other places since age 7. She can tell you about where she has been.

The thing I realized about ours was that if I was taking them when they wouldn't remember going, I was taking them for my joy of seeing them go, not for their joy and understanding of where they had been. And, we spent a lot of money at times, and wore ourselves and them out, and they didn't remember going. Does that make sense.

Also, there are far easier places to take children abroad than Venice and Mediterranean ports. In Venice, every day trip there will be lots of stairs to navigate, water taxis/vaporettos to navigate, and if you're not in Venice proper, you can't easily go back to the hotel for them to rest awhile.

The ports, like Santorini, a tender port, involve climbing, uneven pavement with holes here and there, and it's amazing and beautiful, but tiring even for adults. Will they remember going? Heck, I'd go to London, or Arizona to the Grand Canyon or to Banff ( just examples) where the overall terrain would be friendlier for all of you.

No wonder you were cringing at the price. 675 USD us was steep for three nights but many were higher. I'm glad others agreed with me about staying in Venice proper and I agree with the person who said stay at the airport the first night to save, but you have to pack it all up again and move.

The Olimpia was wonderful. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Be sure to sign up for Oasis 4 in March 2017 the first day it opens. We paid less than $2000 for 13 nights on an amazing ship in a D6 oceanview balcony room. Loved the ship. After the first day of booking the prices skyrocketed.

Hope what I have shared helps, as it is offered as a mom and a granny and is offered in a spirit of helpfulness.

Also, I agree about tours at ports. At Santorini, eight of us on our cruise Critic roll call booked a private tour with Viator, we set our itinerary, and I cannot imagine having taken any other tour. It was $57 each for that amazing tour. viator is not gonna let you miss the ship.

Yes, we climbed and climbed that day, and this view is etched in my memory. But I don't know if it would be if I were a small child. A few pictures.

Hotel out front

36255d8287ce39a66c2a3a0c3a1dc8ea.jpg

Gardens behind the hotel

b2469ddc54b5af64b3eb0801a234ec8d.jpg

Venice Sailaway

9beb11929ad220b0690d39fff5f020ec.jpg

Santorini (Oia)

b729d79521a7bba5cba214838fd4dec5.png

Santorini terrain

4381aa6417867a4fc7f4747d4018e0e2.jpg

My thought, and have encouraged our children, who have kids ranging from 7 to 11 (we have three granddaughters) is to save and wait to go. They have done so. My granddaughter is who is 11, is going on her 1st really big trip this summer. She did Disney at age 9, and other places since age 7. She can tell you about where she has been.

The thing I realized about ours was that if I was taking them when they wouldn't remember going, I was taking them for my joy of seeing them go, not for their joy and understanding of where they had been. And, we spent a lot of money at times, and wore ourselves and them out, and they didn't remember going. Does that make sense.

Also, there are far easier places to take children abroad than Venice and Mediterranean ports. In Venice, every day trip there will be lots of stairs to navigate, water taxis/vaporettos to navigate, and if you're not in Venice proper, you can't easily go back to the hotel for them to rest awhile.

The ports, like Santorini, a tender port, involve climbing, uneven pavement with holes here and there, and it's amazing and beautiful, but tiring even for adults. Will they remember going? Heck, I'd go to London, or Arizona to the Grand Canyon or to Banff ( just examples) where the overall terrain would be friendlier for all of you.

Be sure to sign up for Oasis 4 in March 2017 the first day it opens. We paid less than $2000 for 13 nights on an amazing ship in a D6 oceanview balcony room. Loved the ship. After the first day of booking the prices skyrocketed.

Hope what I have shared helps, as it is offered as a mom and a granny and is offered in a spirit of helpfulness.

First, any idea when that first day in March would it be? I have to do this TA at least once in my life.

Now that's out of the way, I would say that this is one of the most nail hitting advice I have received from this site, as my views are not really far from yours. The pointers you have given your children on holding up is what I had imposed on myself before I started goin' on a bucket list tear for the last 18 months or so, I've waited but I prolly went off prematurely for they can't remember a thing about the road trip we had at Peoria and barely mention anything about our 2 weeks in Orlando. My kids are 5 and 6 to date. Yes you said it loud, I maybe doing this for my enjoyment the joy of seeing them have a good time, but that 1 land trip(Tokyo) we took last year made a huge impact on them, for their betterment ie: my daughter at 4 started making pancakes(With supervision), son started entertaining the thought of being independent and taking public transportation himself(not on my watch).Point is with all the negative perceptions this younger generations are gettin',I can somehow tell myself that with all this cultural and places experiences, I'm rest assured that they will be molded properly. I do hope, they absorb something out of Venice, Greece and Dubrovnik and Turkey.

I might have to dedicate a whole day just to map the this city out.

You were likely making a point with this....but doesn't 1 CAD=.70 EUR ?

actually it's 1 CAD = .70 USD sometimes .67

Also, I agree about tours at ports. At Santorini, eight of us on our cruise Critic roll call booked a private tour with Viator, we set our itinerary, and I cannot imagine having taken any other tour. It was $57 each for that amazing tour. viator is not gonna let you miss the ship.

Yes, we climbed and climbed that day, and this view is etched in my memory. But I don't know if it would be if I were a small child. A few pictures.

Fantastic pics:) .. I guess this was part of that Harmony blockbuster review eh? .. I'll take a day off from Venice and immerse on that one then.