Hobart - Port Arthur

Has anyone done a private tour to Port Arthur from Hobart? Have done some googling but all tours appear to be too long. We have an afternoon, arriving 12 noon, overnight and departing at 4.00pm the next day.

I fear we might not have time. Any suggestions would be helpful, please.

Has anyone done a private tour to Port Arthur from Hobart? Have done some googling but all tours appear to be too long. We have an afternoon, arriving 12 noon, overnight and departing at 4.00pm the next day.

Sandie have you googled Hobart tourist information centre, they have some tours from there

http://www.hobarttravelcentre.com.au/

I suggest hiring a car and setting off early on your second day in Hobart. It is supposed to be 90 minutes drive, so even if you allowed 3.5 hours return, you would have several hours at Port Arthur. The Tourist Info office would know which hire car company is closest to the port. All the best. :)

Most of my cruises have included Port Arthur as a Port of call.

Did it by car when we did a road trip to Tasmania, took near enough 2hours drive each way and the place is worth every bit of eight hours, so be ready for a big day.

However don't miss the Isle of the dead and Point Puer by ferry.

Hi Everyone. Thanks for your input. Will investigate your options. I have been coming to the conclusion it might have to be that we drive ourselves or bite the bullet and do the Princess tour. I'm passed running to make the ship in time and my DH has an absolute aversion to even walking fast!!! :D

They do a night time ghost tour. Maybe you could hire a car get there in the afternoon and check out the sights and do the ghost tour after dark.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was there overnight on the Dawn Princess and did the Port Arthur tour from Hobart through Princess.

What I suggest is to do the ships tour however once you arrive at the historic site let the guide know you will do your own thing and purchase your own lunch and get the map and head off on your own.

The reason I say this is because it is exactly what I did. The guide there was terrible. We stood for ten minutes on the main lawn listening to nothing but hot air and waffle. I formed the opinion I would see more by heading away on my own. I got the map let the guide know and did it on my own. I did not join the group for lunch as they had nothing but rubbish soup in "the asylum", instead I went to the cafe and purchased a much more nourishing and rewarding lunch.

The benefit of doing it on my own was that I was able to walk the entire site, take some great photos, go to the lookouts, read enough information on the presentation boards and enjoy the whole historic site. In comparisson the people who did the ships tour did not see half as much as what I saw and spent well over an hour sitting in "the asylum" eating slops for lunch.

I suggest doing the Princess excursion because it at least gets you there and you can sleep on the coach and not have to do any driving.

They do a night time ghost tour. Maybe you could hire a car get there in the afternoon and check out the sights and do the ghost tour after dark.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is or was a hotel right nextdoor to the Port Arthur site. Hire and car and overnight there. K

Thanks everyone. After doing some research we decided to book the Princess tour for this one. Much easier given the times - the tour arrives back at the ship half an hour before departure time.....and our OBC will more than cover it. :rolleyes::)