Chef's Market Discoveries

aruzinski

Thanks for the review. Reading it, I almost felt like I was there! Actually, we were there in the group of 9 and also enjoyed the tour. A couple of additions to your thorough review...

1. We booked online in early December and it was $259 each at that point.

2. I would have liked to have more time to walk in the Marigot open air market. And I was disappointed to see how much it has expanded in the 15 years since our last visit. Then it was still a local's thing, now it seems mostly for the tourists.

3. The Ceviche demo at our 3rd stop was very educational for those of us who have never before tried ceviche, and I thought that the way the two chefs came up with different flavors from the same set (but different proportions) of ingredients was interesting.

4. We missed the talk with Chef Tiny at lunch, you guys were at the other end of the long table.

5. At dinner, the group of 9 was split between two tables. I expected and would have preferred that we would have been together. We wound up at the 2nd table, with one other couple, and we were joined by a young lady from the Excursions staff who was a) thrilled to be able to eat a fabulous dinner at company expense (with such charming people), and b) open to any feedback we might offer about the excursion. We had a good time.

6. We only briefly saw Chef Tiny at dinner. Our guide for the galley tour and the one in charge of our dinner preparation and service was the Executive Chef, Chef Denton. I had the impression that he was the "assistant" that Chef Tiny had sent to buy the items for dinner.

We paid more to go see the penguins at Volunteer Point in the Falklands. Otherwise, this is far and away the most expensive excursion we have indulged in since we started cruising 4 years ago. I probably will not repeat this, certainly not on every cruise, but I think the experience was enjoyable, entertaining, educational, and an epicurean delight.

I'll add a few photos later.

Stan

Thanks for the review. Reading it, I almost felt like I was there! Actually, we were there in the group of 9 and also enjoyed the tour. A couple of additions to your thorough review...

1. We booked online in early December and it was $259 each at that point.

2. I would have liked to have more time to walk in the Marigot open air market. And I was disappointed to see how much it has expanded in the 15 years since our last visit. Then it was still a local's thing, now it seems mostly for the tourists.

3. The Ceviche demo at our 3rd stop was very educational for those of us who have never before tried ceviche, and I thought that the way the two chefs came up with different flavors from the same set (but different proportions) of ingredients was interesting.

4. We missed the talk with Chef Tiny at lunch, you guys were at the other end of the long table.

5. At dinner, the group of 9 was split between two tables. I expected and would have preferred that we would have been together. We wound up at the 2nd table, with one other couple, and we were joined by a young lady from the Excursions staff who was a) thrilled to be able to eat a fabulous dinner at company expense (with such charming people), and b) open to any feedback we might offer about the excursion. We had a good time.

6. We only briefly saw Chef Tiny at dinner. Our guide for the galley tour and the one in charge of our dinner preparation and service was the Executive Chef, Chef Denton. I had the impression that he was the "assistant" that Chef Tiny had sent to buy the items for dinner.

We paid more to go see the penguins at Volunteer Point in the Falklands. Otherwise, this is far and away the most expensive excursion we have indulged in since we started cruising 4 years ago. I probably will not repeat this, certainly not on every cruise, but I think the experience was enjoyable, entertaining, educational, and an epicurean delight.

I'll add a few photos later.

Stan

Stan:

Good to hear from you. It was expensive, I agree - we paid for our last April before the price went up so was a little less painful. We wouldn't do that one in particular again, but might do one in Europe this fall, if we don't have to mortgage the house to do it. :)

I've been to that market 3-4 times over the last 10-15 years and have noticed that it has changed some. I always find some wonderful things there though (bought a small painting of a beach one year and stare at it longingly on my desk at work and this year got some beautiful tile coasters with beach scenes) and usually buy some spices (this time got the magic spice and chicken seasoning - will have to see if they are as good as she said they were).

I did forget to mention that we all got to taste the 2 types of ceviche. It was my first time tasting it too and was pleasantly surprised. It was fun to be adventurous and try something that I have been afraid to try. The Pinot Grigio went nicely with it as well.

Yes, we had better access to the Chef at lunch at our end of the table, but you guys got to be closer to the beautiful view :). At dinner, we talked at our table about wishing we all could have sat together too - it seemed a pity to have 2 tables for the 9 of us. We would have liked to have gotten to know everyone better.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for the responses. We' d be doing the excursion in Estonian. Seems like a great way to experience northern Europe's flavors. We normally do the chef's table but that menu doesn't seem to change lately.[/quote

When will you be on your cruise? We are hoping to do the Chef's Marketplace tour in Estonia in August. I have not read any reviews of this type of tour in Europe and anxious to know if they cancel a lot or what people's opinions were. Our first choice would have been Berlin but it was over $100 more a person.

• 4 weeks later...

I am hoping to do a Chef's Market Discovery on our cruise in August and it would occur in three different locations on the 12 day cruise on Silhouette. My concern(other than how expensive it is) is that it will get cancelled and then we will not have any tours planned. Does anyone know about these CMD's on the Baltic cruises and if they occur and are they worth it?

Will be in St. Maarten's next week on Silhouette. If we can only do the the Market Discovery tour or the Chef's table, which one, would those of you who have done both, recommend? I have already discussed the Chef's Table with the Shoreside Concierge, who said she would notify the Michael's Club Concierge of our interest in that?

Thanks.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I definitely appreciate all the feedback. My mom and I are thinking about this in St. Maarten on our upcoming Silhouette cruise.

Have people who have done this in St. Maarten had different menus? I worry that my mom won't like the fish (she doesn't like coconut) if they typically do this menu. I figure my not eating meat/pork is a bit easier to handle, but could be wrong. So any thoughts/feedback on that is greatly appreciated!

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I definitely appreciate all the feedback. My mom and I are thinking about this in St. Maarten on our upcoming Silhouette cruise.

Have people who have done this in St. Maarten had different menus? I worry that my mom won't like the fish (she doesn't like coconut) if they typically do this menu. I figure my not eating meat/pork is a bit easier to handle, but could be wrong. So any thoughts/feedback on that is greatly appreciated!

Hi, which menus are you referring to? We went out for lunch and the choices for the entree were chicken, fish or shrimp. Maybe I

didn't read every reply but I don't remember having coconut.

Dinner back on the ship that evening was ceviche appetizer, soup and the entrees were served in large dishes......chicken,

fish and I am missing one.....there were 3 entrees (not choices but served sort of family style). Are you asking if they

will make something else? I guess you could ask but I think the food for dinner is already decided by the Chef.

• 4 years later...
On 3/19/2017 at 2:22 PM, babydoc71 said:

Would love to hear feedback if anyone did the Chef's market discovery in Sorrento (while docked in Naples). Thanks.

Its been a few years since folks were posting on this topic, but looking at the Chef's Market Discoveries - Sorrento Gastronomy Discovery and Private Dinner for our August 2022 sailing. Super torn between this excursion, Ischia Island thermal bath, and small group Pompeii. I would really love to do Pompeii, but not sure about it in the heat of August...🙄

1 hour ago, amypet said:

Its been a few years since folks were posting on this topic, but looking at the Chef's Market Discoveries - Sorrento Gastronomy Discovery and Private Dinner for our August 2022 sailing. Super torn between this excursion, Ischia Island thermal bath, and small group Pompeii. I would really love to do Pompeii, but not sure about it in the heat of August...🙄

To be very honest nobody knows what will be happening in Europe next August . It may be more useful to start a new thread with the questions you need answered