Oasis class balconies

kpd21880

Hello there! We are planning an Oasis cruise for late 2017. We've done many RC cruises before, but never on the largest ships, and always with a "regular" ocean balcony. Please help me understand the Central Park/ Boardwalk/ and Oceanview balconies!

We'll be traveling with our 6 year old son and we like to enjoy quiet time on our balcony with some wine after his bedtime. Are the Central Park or Boardwalk balconies conducive to this? Or will they be much too loud? Can you even hear the ocean from these areas? What time do the activities start in the mornings in the neighborhoods? (he'll never sleep in if he can see/hear the carousel going!!)

Thanks in advance for any pro/con help you can provide! ~Katie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can afford an ocean view balcony, then I would not even consider the neighborhood balconies. You will not hear the ocean from the neighborhood balcony. If you do choose a neighborhood balcony, then Central Park would likely be quieter than Boardwalk.

Central Park and Boardwalk balconies have balconies toward the ship interior. Central Park area is quieter than the Boardwalk. You will not hear the ocean in those balconies. Ocean view balconies are like the ones you find in any other ship. Hope this help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nexxuspr
typo

I can comment on the Central Park balconies. We enjoyed them very much, you could hear birds chirping in the mornings and crickets in the evening. It was all piped in of course but it was so relaxing. In the evenings it was very nice because the park was low lit and there was often quartets playing music. Its not a place where people would walk through and be loud, it was the atmosphere that was conductive to that. We loved it and if its a nice quiet quant spot you are looking for to have a glass of evening wine this would be your spot.

The down side, if there was one, would be that your balcony faces others balconies. It did not bother us in the least. I have read others comments about having to keep your blinds closed but I did not find that an issue. If you keep the lighter drapes pulled it is very hard to see in to anyones cabin. JMO but I loved this category and would not bat an eye at rebooking.

Having stayed on ocean view x2 and boardwalk plus parents on same cruise in in central park I would not hesitate to recommend a neighbourhood balcony as a decent alternative.

It is a different experience with usually a decent saving. Also if you get towards the end of boardwalk you can see the sea if not really hear.

However the are plenty of other sounds and people watching to do.

The are different things to consider and the saving will perhaps pay for a drinks package or your excursions. However; if I was booking again I probably would go for a neighbourhood balcony in preference but likely the Boardwalk.

We were on Allure last week in an oceanview balcony. Had we not had that category cabin, we would not have known we were on a ship. The CP and Boardwalk balcony rooms are interior facing, and you don't have a sense of being on the water.

If you do decide on a neighborhood balcony cabin, I would suggest the CP over the Boardwalk. It'll be quieter.

We had a Boardwalk Balcony on the Oasis on an upper floor near the back of the ship. The soundproofing was pretty good, we didn't hear anything as long as the balcony door was closed and locked. But if the balcony door is open or ajar you definitely get quite a bit of noise.

However, privacy is another issue!! There was a basketball court across from us a deck higher and it was full of people, mostly teens, playing basketball most of the day and night as the court is lighted. On the other side of the ship is a deck up is mini golf so assume the folks on the other side had the same privacy issues. Zip lining is right above you. We had a view of the ocean from the aft of the ship.

The view was interesting but we really didn't sit out on the balcony at all like we normally do with an ocean balcony. If I couldn't do an ocean balcony I think I would rather have a Central Park balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Thank you all for the feedback, it really did help explain! Tough decisions, though all good ones. I liked the idea of using the cost savings to off-set the cost of drink packages (this mama does love a good G&T). And I also heard you all about OV balconies being the connection to the sea... which is our favorite part of cruising. Thank you again!

Please help me understand the Central Park/ Boardwalk/ and Oceanview balconies!

Thanks in advance for any pro/con help you can provide! ~Katie

Katie, we sailed Oasis in May 2013 in cabin 10329! We loved the location so much we are sailing Allure in April in the exact same cabin! I have attached a few pictures here of the view from our balcony. Noise was never a problem from the Boardwalk

942079_10200469673476856_777931844_n.jpg.73761ce62d44e225613be171c4d4a9b9.jpg

969274_10200469672196824_583520353_n.jpg.bed6a883dc80fdc590a2f022a333edc9.jpg

On Oasis class ships keep in mind there are very few indoor public spaces that have views of the ocean. You are basically limited to the Windjammer. So if you want to have drink while watching the ocean go by, you will need to be top-side on the outside, or book an ocean view cabin.

Katie, we sailed Oasis in May 2013 in cabin 10329! We loved the location so much we are sailing Allure in April in the exact same cabin! I have attached a few pictures here of the view from our balcony. Noise was never a problem from the Boardwalk

Got to agree we never found it noisy on Boardwalk on harmony either and my parents loved the Central park Balcony.

Each type has merits and I would book any depending on price/offer.

Actually the closeness to the cafe promenade to get a morning cuppa is probably biggest factor.

Edited by crosby99