Seating Process in the Main Theater

stickey_mouse

Could somebody please explain how this process works? If you have a reservation, are you given a ticket to bring to the performance? Are there two separate lines for those with reservations and those without? If you have reservations, how early should you arrive before they let in the standby line? Can you bring beverages into the theater, and if so, do the seats have cup holders?

On mega ships only,,,, small ships have no reservations

No tickets. The reservations are put on your onboard account. Just scan your card to get in

Yes, there is a standby line. IF the show is sold out, standby passengers will be allowed in 10 minutes before show time. IF NOT sold out, standbys can walk right in.

You can bring your own drinks. Seats have cup holders.

Seating is first come first serve. If you want front and center show up at least 30 mins early.

Edited by BirdTravels

Yes, there is a standby line. IF the show is sold out, standby passengers will be allowed in 10 minutes before show time. IF NOT sold out, standbys can walk right in.

I'm not so sure about this. I've always thought they admit passengers WITH reservations first, and then 10 or 15 min before showtime, allow those without reservations in.

If I've gone to all the trouble to make reservations, I would be unhappy if all those people without ressies lined up in front of me and took all those "front and center" seats. That's the whole point of having a reservation. If I can instead just get there early, get in the front of the line with no reservation and then take my pick of every seat in the theatre, then next time I won't bother with reservations;).

I'm not so sure about this. I've always thought they admit passengers WITH reservations first, and then 10 or 15 min before showtime, allow those without reservations in.

If I've gone to all the trouble to make reservations, I would be unhappy if all those people without ressies lined up in front of me and took all those "front and center" seats. That's the whole point of having a reservation. If I can instead just get there early, get in the front of the line with no reservation and then take my pick of every seat in the theatre, then next time I won't bother with reservations;).

I definitely agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off getaway. We walked into every show without reservations. They did scan our cards though. There were always a lot of empty seats on the sides.

BTF and MDQ were really great. Rare for me to say that about a cruise show.

How early did you arrive?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In addition, they do have a bar and servers in the theater. If you don't show up with a drink, you can order one from your seat before the show starts, or else walk up to the bar.

Providing you can get the attention of the servers.

Like 20 mins. Based on the seats open on the sides, I think you could get into any show. Not everyone with reservations will show up.

"Like 20 mins" before the theatre doors opened, or before showtime? It's a big difference. And which line were you in?

I agree that I don't think I've ever seen a show truly sold out, even the most popular like Million Dollar Quartet had plenty of seats open during the show. That said, reservations still go in first for pick of seats, time to get a drink and get settled, then standby.

But for those who don't want to play the reservation game, stand-by is a pretty good option. You might need to split up a large group, but you're not locked into a reservation and can decide as you go.

"Sold out" only means that they stopped letting people make reservations. I don't think it means that every seat in the theater is reserved. And they know that lots of people who reserved won't actually show up, I'm guessing at least 25% or 30%.

It doesn't matter when they start letting standby guests in, it only matters how many they let in. If they know they'll still have room for people, there's no reason not to let them in early. For those who think this is unfair to those who went to "all the trouble" to make reservations, just think of it as someone showing up 30 minutes before showtime and asking for a reservation. They went to the same amount of trouble as you.

Visited shows both with and without a reservation on the Epic. The first time, we had a reservation and it seemed like the show was very full. They made the standby line wait outside until around 10 mins before the show. I noticed them coming in as I had gone up to the bar for a drink.

However, when we went again later in the cruise without the reservation, we showed up to the standby line expecting to wait, and were let straight in around 30 mins before the show, along with those who had a reservation. In the end, the theatre was maybe half full despite the fact the reservations had shown as full. This was the 3rd showing of Priscilla so may

So, the answer to the question of 'do they let standby straight in'- is maybe :)

"Sold out" only means that they stopped letting people make reservations. I don't think it means that every seat in the theater is reserved. And they know that lots of people who reserved won't actually show up, I'm guessing at least 25% or 30%.

It doesn't matter when they start letting standby guests in, it only matters how many they let in. If they know they'll still have room for people, there's no reason not to let them in early. For those who think this is unfair to those who went to "all the trouble" to make reservations, just think of it as someone showing up 30 minutes before showtime and asking for a reservation. They went to the same amount of trouble as you.

Yes, but they still Got a reservation, which many of the walk ins presumably could have done, but chose not to. I don't care about the timing, just that they have one. And what would be the point of NCL offering reservations if they let those without reservations in ahead of those who have bothered to get them, depending on where they happened to be in line or what time they arrived?

It doesn't really matter our opinions on how we think it should work. The important thing is what the actual policy and procedure IS. If someone without a res arrives 10 minutes before the show starts and walks straight in, they should not assume that this would have happened had they arrived 5 min after the doors opened. I believe I have observed the stand by line, but I did not pay that much attention.

IMO, if NCL in practice intends to let in those without reservations as soon as the door opens, because they are not really "sold out", then I will stop making reservations, because what would be the point? We can all just show up and first come first served for seats.

Edited by punkincc

I think we all agree with your definition of "sold out". However, I'm not sure I agree with your second point. I think it does matter when they are allowed in, otherwise there would be no way of knowing how many to allow in. It would get very confusing. You need a cut-off time to ensure the most accuracy.

Yes, but they still Got a reservation, which many of the walk ins presumably could have done, but chose not to. I don't care about the timing, just that they have one. And what would be the point of NCL offering reservations if they let those without reservations in ahead of those who have bothered to get them, depending on where they happened to be in line or what time they arrived?

It doesn't really matter our opinions on how we think it should work. The important thing is what the actual policy and procedure IS. If someone without a res arrives 10 minutes before the show starts and walks straight in, they should not assume that this would have happened had they arrived 5 min after the doors opened. I believe I have observed the stand by line, but I did not pay that much attention.

IMO, if NCL in practice intends to let in those without reservations as soon as the door opens, because they are not really "sold out", then I will stop making reservations, because what would be the point? We can all just show up and first come first served for seats.

I completely agree with this. As it stands, NCL encourages reservations. Therefore, it needs to follow a standard in enforcing them.

I will be on the Getaway in October. I hope my subject is the same as the one posted here. Does it require reservations for the Escape Theater? If that is the case do you go to the customer service desk for that? And can you book everyday for the time you are on the ship. I also see posts that for Burn the man you need reservations so I'm confused by the post here. Hope you all don't mind my questions since I am so new here. Thank you!

I think it does matter when they are allowed in, otherwise there would be no way of knowing how many to allow in. It would get very confusing. You need a cut-off time to ensure the most accuracy.
All they have to do is count the number of people they are letting in (and they do this). If they know there are 600 seats, and only 500 people reserved for the show, they can let start letting in standbys as soon as the doors open, up to 100 people. 10 minutes before the show, when only 400 of the people who reserved have actually showed up, they can let in another 100 standbys.

If you have a reservation, they will make sure there is a seat for you up until the cut-off time. I've never heard of people with reservations getting shut out because they let too many standbys in. But that does not mean that they don't or shouldn't let any standbys in before the cut-off time.

I will be on the Getaway in October. I hope my subject is the same as the one posted here. Does it require reservations for the Escape Theater? If that is the case do you go to the customer service desk for that? And can you book everyday for the time you are on the ship. I also see posts that for Burn the man you need reservations so I'm confused by the post here. Hope you all don't mind my questions since I am so new here. Thank you!

Not sure I understand your question, but the reservation process should be the same for the main theater on the Breakaway, Getaway, and Escape. You can book them online before cruising, and once onboard, you can book at the box office, from the interactive screens in the stairwells, using NCL's app, and on your room TV (not sure about this one).

Oh, and I'm afraid they haven't shown Burn the Man since the 1500s. :D

Edited by stickey_mouse

All they have to do is count the number of people they are letting in (and they do this). If they know there are 600 seats, and only 500 people reserved for the show, they can let start letting in standbys as soon as the doors open, up to 100 people. 10 minutes before the show, when only 400 of the people who reserved have actually showed up, they can let in another 100 standbys.

If you have a reservation, they will make sure there is a seat for you up until the cut-off time. I've never heard of people with reservations getting shut out because they let too many standbys in. But that does not mean that they don't or shouldn't let any standbys in before the cut-off time.

I see your point, but I still say hold the standby line until 10 minutes before show time. It achieves the same result with less work/confusion. You're adding an extra step that needn't be there, IMO.

Edited by stickey_mouse

I see your point, but I still say hold the standby line until 10 minutes before show time. It achieves the same result with less work/confusion. You're adding an extra step that needn't be there, IMO.
I think we can agree that it's not up to you or me how they deal with standbys.

If you want the best seat selection, you need to make a reservation and get there early. A reservation does not entitle you to priority seating or priority access to the venue or priority anything. If you decide to go standby, don't count on being let into the theater until 10 minutes before showtime, although it could happen that they let you in earlier. On the other hand, if you're unlucky, you might not get into the show at all.

Edited by hawkeyetlse