Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Sadly, judging from the pictures on the TV news, there would appear to have been many casualties of the car's dash along the footpath - many lives have been irrevocably changed, I fear.

Appreciate these various details. Was tied up in meetings earlier today, but have caught up to read items here from Jeff and others, plus what several UK newspapers have reported. Noticed the headline in the Independent saying "London attack: Theresa May '40 yards away' from scene of stabbing outside Parliament"

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 48,981 views for these postings.

So, the biggest problem is not having forums on my phone.... I was going from the web browser. I will try again later tonight or tomorrow, as my afternoon schedule is full and I will be preoccupied.

I will hope to address the previous posted questions regarding my "chosen profession". I have a few specific specialties, so my knowledge is deep in some areas and not others. I am not research focused, but practice focused. Research is interesting, practice is practical (my opinion).

I do remember seeing a post about inherited memories. I am not convinced that this is true. I find that my patients who believe in this use it as an excuse for bad behavior i.e. "My grandmother was abused so I have inherited her PTSD and that why I drink and drive and am on probation." This type of thinking does nothing to address issues. Quite frankly, while interesting to discuss, I don't find it practical in my day to day field of practice. It can be a hindrance to recovery for a lot of people who refuse to take responsibility for their poor choices.... (can you tell I am a psychologist and NOT a social worker? :evilsmile: :halo:)

Okay, rant over, back to focus on work and later, pictures!

Thanks Shots, yes I'm not clear you've read what I suggested. I'm not talking about abuse of the idea of inherited memories and other excuses and I agree. My own mother went through her life telling everyone it was her third life and that her previous ones had been so bad and tough and that she was entitled to an easy life this time round. And did we suffer.

But it might not be fair to discard the suggestion simply because it is abused by some. I'm talking more of otherwise unexplainable memories where for example very young kids are able to describe places in times past that they could not have seen, in societies where no TV exists. I'm talking about accurate regressions. I'm suggesting skills that have not been learned like people having bumps on the head and then playing an instrument that they haven't learned or speaking fluently in a language never learned.

I can't see why it is such a jump of logic to accept that genes include the chemicals to decide temperament, eye and hair colour, ability to be good at some things, disease etc but why it seems improbable that you can also inherit memories. Why would it be so improbable for temperament to be inherited (you only need to look at how similar all Cocker Spaniels are .....) but then see memories of not being simply another chemical reaction.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

J and JP....I just called my bank and they do have a record of my call this morning. Not sure if that means I'm safe. This is nasty s**t! I'll keep an eye on my card charges for sure. And at least my bank is aware that something ugly might be coming down the pipe! Thanks to everyone who gave advice and cautions!!!!

That's great. Just fussing unnecessarily, but you asked them to log the call you received this morning that was a scam and to place a marker on your account for extra vigilance for unusual activity. Hopefully if you also bank online you can log in often ver the next few days.

Sorry if I alarmed without cause.

No Jeff! Not without cause! I would never have considered that the scammer may have been on the line. And certainly not thought that my bank's recorded menu and such would be used by scammers! So your concern was much appreciated! I do have online access to my banking and I will be checking on a regular basis now. Again I say "thank you" to you and to my lovely family of Coolers!

That's great. What you described is exactly the hall marks in a prevalent scam in the UK. Sadly because customers are handing over details they are often finding that the banks aren't covering the scam and extraordinary amounts are being lost by people who believe they would never be scammed.

The scammers record all the messages of the banks and then play them back whilst they are still on the held line. It is exactly as you described.

Sadly scamming of all sorts seems almost every day now. Had my first ebay scam a few days ago where it looks like a decent person had their id taken and I bought something. Luckily ebay have already agreed to reimburse so hopefully no harm done.

Hope everything is ok with the bank account.

Good Evening All.....

Horrendous news from London today. Latest news is four fatalities with over twenty injured, some seriously.

Mysty....am sorry to read of your troubles with the scam...hopefully you've now got it covered. Just a thought....do you inform your bank when you are going to be out of the country? I always do so for security purposes.

For the last few months I have been receiving calls in the middle of the night....particularly disturbing with Father being poorly at the time.

The kids got me new phones which screen and record all the incoming calls...if someone rings me they have to identify themselves and if l don't know who it is I can choose to refuse the call....thankfully to date it's working very well.

S☺️

Well, the news channels are saying the terrorist is the rather well known Abu Izzadeen aka Trevor Brooks. He was famous a few years back for confronting the Home Secretary so well known to both police and the public.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Abu+Izzadeen&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYjdyJ7erSAhUoCcAKHRUPDKAQ_AUICCgD&biw=1280&bih=617

However Abu Izzadeen's solicitor claims he is still in prison. I think the press have it wrong.

Strange.

Thanks Miss S. All digits are crossed that the situation is well in hand! We used to notify credit card companies regarding our travels. Before the 2016 cruise we attempted to do the same thing only to be told that it was not necessary. Apparently their "highly sophisticated" fraud detection algorithms make this kind of notification unnecessary. Hopefully that is so!

Your new phones sound great! Screening calls would be very helpful. In this instance I don't know that I would have refused the call. I'm just lucky that my spidey senses kicked in!

J....News reporting has hit some road bumps over the last year. This sounds like one of the bumps! :(

Lovely food Shots ... and so well presented! Thanks for persevering - for what it's worth I think you were right ... you've done much more than giving me a run for my money! I like your food.

Well thanks! I love to cook, and it is something I wish I did more often. My husband loves me to cook for him, and I am hoping that once I settle into this new job I will be able to come home with more energy to feel like cooking.

Adding an edit: I need to learn to make pizza crust like yours. The pizza oven probably helps. I love homemade pizza.

Meanwhile in Antigua.... itty bitty Silver Wind arrives in Antigua and is joined 2 hours later by Regent Seven Seas Explorer.... what a beast of a ship! For 700 pax ship is enormous!

I had hoped to get on for a peak today but knew we couldn't.

Two things stood out as we looked down from our balcony.

A queue of people trying to get on Explorer..... but more relevant the Wind had 3 or 4 members of staff outside greeting guests back. Explorer had no one.

The second was some plonker shouting to whoever wanted to listen "our ships better than yours". I suspect in many respects it is, but the Wind on this occasion was better by not having a nob on board like that.

Antigua was a great day and catamaran beach stop the best trip to date.

So glad I'm not back home at the moment with what I've just seen on the news.

RIP ... let's hope that's the end to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well thanks! I love to cook, and it is something I wish I did more often. My husband loves me to cook for him, and I am hoping that once I settle into this new job I will be able to come home with more energy to feel like cooking.

Adding an edit: I need to learn to make pizza crust like yours. The pizza oven probably helps. I love homemade pizza.

Well Shots, with a talent and interest like that, and a new job, you're entitled to indulge your interest with the best tools for the job. Some, yes are sometimes destined for not much use. But the commercial pizza oven and the dough always on tap is such a joy. I'm not into thick pizza so a Neapolitan oven is essential. For summer I often use a beehive which I imported from Portugal. It's also great for slow roasts.

4befe2b2612658af6aa7e75a7792000b.jpg

Have a bit longer to post now. I have some short ribs roasting in the oven. We tried a new recipe with honey, orange juice, and some water. After browning the ribs they are simmering in the sauce now with a little minced garlic. We have to wait until 7:30 to eat, though... :(

They look good, and are taunting me with a delicious aroma!

da134be634c772eebaa4f4489ddb8bf5.jpg

Maybe we can sneak out and do a little grocery shopping while the ribs roast. Otherwise, we'll have nothing to eat tomorrow.

All this pizza talk is making me crave one very much! Too bad it will be a while. We're thinking of a weekend getaway for my birthday so we may not be home to cook one.

Mysty, glad that the first call to the bank was confirmed as legitimate. Definitely keep an eye out, but maybe that's the end of it.

Les, I definitely agree with you that a plonker (I love some British expressions!) such as the fellow you described could contribute a lot towards downgrading the ship experience for those sharing the Regent sailing with him.

London...that hits close to home. We've walked that bridge and around the Parliament so many times. It's very familiar. How sad.

JP,

I was brought up in a part of London now called Barbican and even after wifey and I bought a place we stayed in London for many years until work took me away. One of my summer jobs before playing records was doing the commentary on one of the boats that left from Westminster.

The thing is that Londoners have events in their DNA and they will be over this and going about their business as usual within a day or two. We had two world wars, the IRA and others. I feel sorry for the policeman who shouted a warning beforehand re firing. He must be in agony about wondering whether if he'd fired without the warning whether his colleague might have survived.

Still, your ribs sound really good. I must admit I'm not a square plat person but I can see why Shots likes them.

Jeff, my husband has wanted to build a pizza oven in the back yard for ages! I make thin crust pizza also, just didn't have a photo in my phone. I like making large batches of dough and keeping it around as well.

I will have to remember to take pictures of the food at my dinner party this weekend. I'm making Braciole!! Also, homemade NY cheesecake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmm. Shots, looking forward to the weekend food pics.

The ribs were worth the wait. The sauce reduced significantly and the honey flavor got a little caramelized so it went well with a Rioja red.

0729391b33e92096dcce1c1ea4fd8d61.jpg

Some roasted potatoes added crunch to the tender meat.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app