Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Restaurante Gelonch. Unfortunately, when I googled it just now to give you the website, I see that it's permanently closed! :( Sorry to hear that. It was great.

We had another great dinner at Pla a few nights later. They are still open I think.

http://www.restaurantpla.cat

I'll try to find the thread where I posted more specifics from that trip. I suspect it is in part 2 of the water cooler, December 2015 or early January 2016. Search that thread for Gelonch and you'll probably find it quickly. Just not sure I can do that from my phone right now or I'd do it for you.

Edited to add. Post 2201 in water cooler part 2 thread. I can search with the phone app.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks.!Barcelona must be a very competitive tough market. A tapas placed that had opened a a year before our four-day stay there in 2014 was so awesome in several ways we ate there for two dinners.

and I thought we would have a known entity to go to when we returned. But it is now permanently closed

An Eatwith dinner we had had with wine pairing in an old warehouse was also awesome and serving almost nightly, but now they only have a few days they serve, and not when we are there, maybe they are also ready to fold

I know there are many restaurants but we will only be there three nights, so I want them to be special, and I am picky about chair comfort, very loud noises, temperature, and as a bonus I also like places with wine pairings options

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M,

I remember a few years back gallup decided to do a worldwide survey on who the most stoic country in the world was .... who knows why. From memory they decided to simply ask questions like "did you laugh yesterday". And from this they built a map of the world with graphics showing in order of stoicism each country! Google f you are intrigued.

I use to do a pitch to boards about why you shouldn't trust all you read in research and the conclusions and recommended actions and gave a few examples.

One for example. Around 30% of all serious road accidents in the UK are caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol. What this proves is that you should encourage people to drink because it is the sober drivers causing most accidents.

Another was that a recent survey in the UK showed that an"average" person had 1.9999999% eyes. But not a single person in the UK has ever been found to be that average.

So much depends on how you look at the data and apply knowledge, judgement, common sense and ask questions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

J...Absolutely no disagreement here! :) I looked up your Gallup Poll reference. Seems that Canada and the US were "more emotional" countries than the UK. I did laugh today. Did you laugh today J? :)

Here is a link in case anyone else is interested.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2012

/11/28/a-color-coded-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-emotional-countries/?utm_term=.b294222427e2

Spins.....It looks like this relates to Royal Jordanian airlines.

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/324846-feds-temporarily-ban-electronics-on-certain-flights-to-us

Catlover54, I am also interested in JP's answer to your question. Last time in Barcelona I ate at Viana (as per Trip Advisor) and the suckling pig was very, very good. Next time in May I would like to find another top notch restaurant. I truly trust JP.

Thanks. I missed your post earlier.

JP, thanks for PLA! If their website is still up, 'll assume they are still in business. Just like Viana, it will be somewhat hard to find, and that makes it an adventure. I'll let all know if we get there.

Misty, would there be a list, without downloading the whole of the report? Just asking if you knew, since I would like to know how Puerto Rico and the Caribbean fared, if at all considered.

JP, thanks for PLA! If their website is still up, 'll assume they are still in business. Just like Viana, it will be somewhat hard to find, and that makes it an adventure. I'll let all know if we get there.

Hopefully they are still in business. I would feel bad going 0 for 2!

The restaurant itself wasn't hard to find. It is near the Cathedral, tucked away on a tiny street. But it's reasonably well signed once you get to that street.

Here is a link to my posts of our meal at Pla.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49280317&highlight=pla#post49280317

Misty, thanks for the link! For whatever it's worth, USA is # 14 and Mexico not far behind in # 25. Jamaica and Haiti were the only Caribbean countries found, # 76 and # 145, respectively. What about Barbados, et al? Anyway, I found interesting facts, like Brasil at # 22 (?) Maybe samba dancing neutralizes the zica epidemic and overall level of poverty. But then, Brazilians are very resilient people.

JP, thanks for your link, as well. The place is near the Hotel Colón, where we always stay when in Barcelona. This time, however, we will be right at the pier (Hotel W) since we arrive only the day before the cruise. We'll need to eat, however, and PLA looks to be the place to search for. Thanks!

It has been quiet on here today. I am finally feeling better and have a moment to check in, and there has been no chatter around the cooler!

New job is going very well. The atmosphere here is much more relaxed. There is no a lot of tension and no one appears overworked, burned out, or too stressed. Makes me happy!

Hmmm ... I wonder what this electronic device ban is about? First the US and now the UK ban flights in from certain countries. Most of my luggage is electronic gadgets!!! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les,

I was concerned about my electronics too. I usually travel with a laptop, iPad, phone, kindle and camera equipment. To put that in checked baggage is an issue for me, one because of possible damage and two because it tempts fate and goddess Laverna.

Les,

I was concerned about my electronics too. I usually travel with a laptop, iPad, phone, kindle and camera equipment. To put that in checked baggage is an issue for me, one because of possible damage and two because it tempts fate and goddess Laverna.

Having seen the way baggage handlers treat our possessions, I'd rather travel without. If it meant all gadgets had to go into hold, my cruising would be limited to UK round trips or maybe places I could get to by train easily.

I was panicking earlier as this is just kicking in now... and I need to get back from Fort Lauderdale. Luckily that's ok .... for now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems rather dumb to me Spins,

An antidote of common sense rather than much of contradictory stuff we read about how to live longer by taking pills .......

Why a Mediterranean diet is five times more effective than a statin http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dr-mark-porter-most-doctors-think-1-in-74-is-a-pretty-good-success-rate-for-a-drug-l5jnzg6nx?shareToken=2b9312a9c957c71191dcc2129ee8ac6a

Ah yes, the NNT. Too often we (medical profession) talk about the relative risk reduction instead of the absolute risk reduction. This medication cuts your risk 25%!!! Wonderful, unless your risk was 0.1% in the first place...

Ok, I would rather go eat the Med diet on Sardinia or Ikaria...

Today more spatchcock marinated chicken on the grill, turkey burgers, sweet potato chips in the air fryer and a green salad...will start all of it later. Now watching hearings with Gorsuch. Ah retirement! I never could have done this before!

Mysty are you packing yet?

JP,

I have often wondered whether a better number to consider alongside or even instead of NNT, is a subset of them and that is the realistic number of those that are harmed by the medication, a good example might be the subset who take statins who have suffered muscle problem side effects or are presumed to increased their risk of type 2 diabetes. So instead of numbers to treat, it is how many people are harmed compared to how many presumed saved. It may well be that 200 people suffered some compromise of muscles for every one person saved. And all of that presumes that the person you saved, if you hadn't saved them might not have died merely a week later from other disease or incident.

One calculation I have yet to see, is how many statin takers have gained type 2 diabetes compared to the number saved?

Anyway at least my pizza diet is doing me good! :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Greetings Coolers! Lovely sunshine today and tonight it will feel like -30 C (-22 F). :( Roller coaster ride continues!

Spins....I haven't started packing yet per se. I have started making piles of things though. I don't want to put things in suitcases just yet to avoid masses of wrinkles. I have been working on perfecting the packing method exploring different modes - rolling, layering with fold-overs, just plain folding. Over the years I have had most success with the layering with fold-overs however it is not always effective. Actually loading into the cases will happen Friday afternoon.

The Times article was very interesting! Myster is on meds to manage blood pressure and cholesterol. So far I am only on drops for glaucoma. It would be great if Myster could manage his health with diet and exercise!

Have a great evening all!

Hi M,

So close ... you must be getting very excited.

Rightly or wrongly, progress being what it is, one thing is for sure is that a hundred years from now the medical profession will look back and comment about how little was known today compared with their future viewpoint. What us lot need the do is to try and make sense of what is good advice compared with what is bad advice, and perhaps our presumption that all advice from well educated and intentioned doctors is good advice. We must also recognise that their perspective may be different.

For example what NNT does is to tell you that if you treat a 1000 people you might only save five and 995 may have been needlessly treated and made vulnerable to some other disease. That might not make sense to the people being medicated if they understood these figures better. That is what informed consent should be about, but we never ask. What a doctor might see the same argument as being that amongst all of the 1000 patients he has he could save five and that effort is worthwhile.

I gave up the statins ....

So mysty, what's the suitcase count? Are you down to two carry-ons yet? ;)

For our May trip (9 days, Prague, Berlin, Copenhagen) we are going to try to get it down to one rollaboard, and a backpack. We are taking the train from Prague to Berlin which is no problem with two bags. But we're flying EasyJet from Berlin to Copenhagen, as the train is almost 8h. So I want to travel with only one bag that has to go in the hold. That's all I paid for when I bought the ticket, so I have incentive!

Jeff, we also look at NNH (number needed to harm) and how that compares with NNT. However, it gets fuzzy when the harm could be perceived as just a minor nuisance, but the disease avoided is much worse. The subjective opinions in these matters make a strictly numerical analysis difficult. How bad is the muscle damage? Is a little muscle damage worth it, if a heart attack is prevented? This sometimes comes down to a matter of personal preference, and individual values.

Jeff, your last post crossed with mine. I definitely understand your perspective.

Mysty, as you know, sometimes a suitcase is selected for a thorough, hands-on, screening. Of course, all neatly folded garments are scrunched (or, at least, unfolded and wrinkled). Nothing to do about that when it happens...usually a card is left to sort of apologize... I always use plastic ziplock bags for underwear, in case the roving hand goeth over....

Evening All...😊

Mysty.....layering tissue paper between the clothes always works for me to stop the creasing.

On the subject of electronics it appears to be focused mainly to and from the Middle Eastern countries...as l only take an iPad and one very ancient cell phone l don't think I'll be too worried!

Scaremongering tactics with the statins and also the anti inflammatory medication seem to be hitting the headlines yet again..... I take neither.

Another research corker was also mentioned this morning....drinking tea can reduce the onset of dimentia.....the boffins haven't mentioned champagne though so guess I'll just carry on enjoying ....😉😁

S😊

J......We're excited! Anxious to get away from the never-ending cold! I am not quite as excited as I was for the big adventure though. Not surprising I guess but a wee bit of a let down that I am not experiencing that excitement again.

JP....Surely you jest! Two carry-ons - yes AND two 26 inch suitcases AND probably an extra cabin roll-on. Myster's black suit would never fit in a carry-on. :) The lad is 6'3". That's a lot of material! Ha Ha! I do envy the ability to travel as lightly as you and Chris do!

Cam.....I take the same approach with the "delicates". Something just a little off-putting about paws rummaging through. We've been lucky with the screening so far. Only one suitcase was "checked" and a card left. I do like to try to minimize the wrinkles at the onset though. What appears on arrival is anybody's guess.

Hi Miss S! I have never tried the tissue paper idea. Thanks for that! I have oodles of the stuff so I will try that approach!

Surely if tea is good then champagne must be even better! :) Grapes and all that!