Flight home after Liberty

We finally got off the ship around 2:30. For this particular port, carrying off your own luggage is definitely the way to go, especially if you're trying to get a flight. We were in a suite, so we were in the first group after the self-serve group and there were so many! I have never seen so many people hauling their luggage off a ship and I was jealous! That took about an hour and a half to get those folks through customs before they started calling groups.

And for those people yelling at crew members - yes, lady, I'm talking to you: There is nothing, I repeat, nothing, they can do about a fog delay. The port was closed. not just to us but to everyone. I actually apologized to the crew member on her behalf, I felt to bad for him.

I'm sure many passengers lives were screwed up yesterday, but the fog, delayed docking, and delayed sailing has also screwed up the lives of crew members who must interact with passengers. To blame them for the actions of Mother Nature and the Port of Galveston is not right.

I booked my flight for 230 and we made it in plenty of time even with a delay disembarking. I don't know why but probably because of all the passengers that did self debark. I wouldn't make a flight before that time when leaving from HOU.

What time you get through the terminal and to transportation can also depend on the itinerary you are sailing. If it is Falmouth, Grand Cayman and Cozumel they usually just look at the passports/BC etc. But if it is the Roatan, Belize, Cozumel route then they do a full immigration check. They scan the passports, type in all the BC info for those without passports etc. so they can run a check on the National Crime Information database too. It takes much longer to get through and lots more bags will be subject to search.

I don't get the port authority when they close the ship channel. I have been delayed getting on by the fog and delayed disembarkation because of a collision and spill on the channel that was nowhere near the cruise terminal. The cruise terminal is at the mouth of the channel and they should allow that to remain open. With GPS and on board radar devices, and the fact that ships are going very slow it just doesn't make sense. If they can keep planes from hitting each other in the air during weather delays and poor visibility, you would think they could get this figured out. The air traffic controllers don't say just keep the planes in the air until the weather clears.

I was on a little FM road the other day when one lane was closed. Did they close the road? No, they had flag men that allowed one way traffic only.

I don't get the port authority when they close the ship channel. I have been delayed getting on by the fog and delayed disembarkation because of a collision and spill on the channel that was nowhere near the cruise terminal. The cruise terminal is at the mouth of the channel and they should allow that to remain open. With GPS and on board radar devices, and the fact that ships are going very slow it just doesn't make sense. If they can keep planes from hitting each other in the air during weather delays and poor visibility, you would think they could get this figured out. The air traffic controllers don't say just keep the planes in the air until the weather clears.

I was on a little FM road the other day when one lane was closed. Did they close the road? No, they had flag men that allowed one way traffic only.

A marine mechanic said the same thing to me yesterday. He can't figure out why they close the port. Maybe it has something to do with the coast guard following us out and they can't see so our safety is at risk.

We heard that too, but honestly on our back to back in October, we didn't see a lot of difference between the itineraries, perhaps because we both had US passports.

It is my personal opinion that on delayed disembarkations the Customs agents tend to be more lenient with their checks on the Belize itineraries. we too kept hearing that and the only time actually experienced it was on the one trip that had a 'normal' disembarkation. the day of our heavy wind/rain/fog one , by the time we got there( and yes we were suites and have PP) they were barely looking at things( it was also the cruise where I had spent close to ten grand on items in port calls and they never even glanced at the customs sheet. and yes I was well aware I owed duty)

I agree though that Galveston has a very large percentage of self disembarks. when we sailed out of her, we lived in SATX and a 4 hour drive to get home so we never really needed to rush. we usually grabbed something light, got off, ate a real breakfast in Texas City and then went about our way.

Doesn't the Coast Guard close the port, not the port authority. Aren't the port authority folks just carrying out the decisions made by the CG?

Doesn't the Coast Guard close the port, not the port authority. Aren't the port authority folks just carrying out the decisions made by the CG?

Whoever does it needs to revise their procedures. I know safety is an issue but we are passed the days of depending on light houses. GPS,Sonar, depth finders, and limiting traffic to one way can avoid these senseless delays.