"Space Bags"

CCC3

So...I am a chronic overpacker. Just wondering if anyone has ever used space bags to pack for your cruise? Do things come out of the bag very wrinkled? We do not fly to the port, so we're not limited by the suitcase weight. I'm just curious if this would cause me more grief than my overpacking. LOL. If this has been discussed...apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We use a mix...some things (tees, shorts etc.) go into the space bags on way to trip, but more dirty clothes come home in the bags:D. Have found over the years that using them on way home makes great padding for liquor to be packed into your bags:cool:

I consciously try not to overpack, and it isn't possible! LOL. I use space bags for storage at home, and just started wondering if others used them on cruises. And I agree, it would be awesome to store dirty clothing in after wearing.

I've packed in ziploc bags of various sizes for years, as much to organize as to compress. I used to do this when packing my kids for a month of summer camp. I tried Space Bags and didn't perceive much difference in compression compared to regular Ziploc bags. I didn't use the kind you seal with a vacuum--but that would be impractical because you couldn't do it for the return trip!

Recently, I switched to "packing cubes" as a slightly more elegant solution, but if I'm not flying, the best solution is just to take another bag!

Just bought large ( couple gal ) ziplock bags & med size ( still ginormous) space bags to test out putting mine & DH down jackets . They're not easily wrinkled so can't speak to that . I will say the space bags are stiffer plastic, more difficult to roll to get the air out . After sitting & laying on space bags ( quite a show we'd put on in airport , lol ) I gave up . I'll stick w/ziplock .

I use ziplocks for the smaller items and Dollar General sells some larger size clear ziplock type bags for $1 each. Before I found the DG brand I used those big blue ziplock brand and they were so bulky. I use those for some larger items and they are a great size for the dirty laundry. Our hanging dressier items I hang on lightweight hangers. doubling some items like slacks and put these in dry cleaning bags which definitely cuts down on wrinkles.

When I unpack some items stay in the small ziplock and go directly in the drawers.

YES!!! Especially when we go skiing. It's amazing how much you can compact your clothes. They come out pretty darn wrinkle free too.

Just keep in mind that you'll need a vacuum to get all your clothes back in the suitcase... had that happen once. I saved so much space, I actually threw in my portable dyson. I'm sure you can ask the attendant to borrow their vacuum.

Edited by BNBR

I use a combination. I have a lot of wrinkle free and wrinkle resistant clothing from frequent land based travel. Some items do better rolled in packing cubes and some in space bags or hand rolled compression bags. Knits are good for space and compression bags. Cotton is better rolled and carefully placed around the case in packing cubes or even on their own. Do watch the weight.

I like to bring my go anywhere compact size "My Pillow". In a compression bag. It hardly weighs a thing.

Bring Downy wrinkle release or steam stuff in the bathroom. If you have wrinkles you will not be alone.

While I have never cruised, I have been to the Caribbean 26 times, half with just a carry on.

I consciously try not to overpack, and it isn't possible! LOL. I use space bags for storage at home, and just started wondering if others used them on cruises. And I agree, it would be awesome to store dirty clothing in after wearing.

My space bags at home have a vent, and I can roll them to squeeze air out, and I don't need a vacuum.

Yep, those are the ones we use too. Over the years I've gotten in the habit of throwing a few medium sized ones in the bottom of the bag before I pack it because we usually do end up bringing back a few..hehemm...bottles of some sort of adult beverage;). If you think about the packaging material they use (foam encased in plastic) to ship fragile stuff, the spacebags filled with dirty clothes does the same basic thing (and the clothing is protected in case of a tragic situation:eek:).

Sadly, I noticed on our trip in November that my bags will need to be replaced (not holding as long/well) - but hey I got 10 years out of them so it's all good:D

I travel for work a lot and over the years have found that all of the cubes and space saving bag type things are just novelty items you don't need.

Pack your clothes in a bundle and you will make use of all of your space with minimal wrinkles. If you need an outfit prior to unpacking everything, just lay it flat on top of your bundle. Super easy and way less expensive. And you don't need to hunt for a vacuum to pack for the trip home.

I travel for work a lot and over the years have found that all of the cubes and space saving bag type things are just novelty items you don't need.

Pack your clothes in a bundle and you will make use of all of your space with minimal wrinkles. If you need an outfit prior to unpacking everything, just lay it flat on top of your bundle. Super easy and way less expensive. And you don't need to hunt for a vacuum to pack for the trip home.

Been there and done that - personally think it actually wastes more space. As to the vacuum, the type of bags I use don't require it - you just roll them up and it forces the air out a vent. Easy peasy;) AND leaves room for souveniers etc. without going over weight limits:D

I used a HUGE one to pack my body pillow for our TA - with us flying to Barcelona, we needed to pack things tightly. I used a vacuum bag and vacuumed the air out at home, flew to barcelona, and took my pillow out once we got on the ship. I didn't worry about vacuuming all the air out when getting off as we got off in fort lauderdale and were just renting a car to drive home.

That being said, we are driving down to fort lauderdale later this month and I am not bothering with the bag. It is just easier for me to put my pillow (which I don't sleep well without) in my big suitcase and pack an extra bag if we are driving.

I do the kids in ziplocs especially so we have a few ziplocs of clothes for port days in case there is an accident when out and about, especially for our 5 year old.

If space saver bags work for you, then go for it! Even the vacuum ones - you can always ask to borrow a vacuum on the ship!

YES!!! Especially when we go skiing. It's amazing how much you can compact your clothes. They come out pretty darn wrinkle free too.

Just keep in mind that you'll need a vacuum to get all your clothes back in the suitcase... had that happen once. I saved so much space, I actually threw in my portable dyson. I'm sure you can ask the attendant to borrow their vacuum.

not always. Ziploc brand does not require a vacuum, you roll the air out. ( just like the towel method to dry your swimsuit) and there is a specific package of SB brand that does the same, it is marketed specifically for travel/luggage/packing.

now these bags will not completely vacuum pack your items but it WILL reduce the air in your clothing and thus gives you more room in the luggage. just be aware that the actual WEIGHT of each item does not change so when you find that extra 6 square feet of space, be careful you don't end up being 5 pounds over the weight allowed for the flight!