Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

Doesn't the Star have a "sister" ship in the Sun (I may be wrong). That ship doesn't appear to have suffered any problems.

No, the Sun and the Sky are sisters. The Star and the Dawn comprise the two ship Dawn class. While the Dawn has had her share of problems, they have not centered around the azipods.

It is historically very rare. The problem is that none of us here know what each and every failure was caused by, in a very large and complicated system, and whether or not there is a repetitive failure of a component or whether this is something based on NCL's maintenance plan, or whether it is a factor of the system's age that the manufacturer nor any other user has seen before, and could result in changes to the recommended service intervals for certain items.

I have lifted this from the Norwegian Star entry on Cruiseminus.com. I am no expert but it seems that Azipods have caused problems since 2003.

Technical incidents

February 3, 2003, a propulsion issue with one of the Azipods resulted in a reduced cruising speed and itinerary changes – the call port Tabuaeran (aka Fanning Island, Kiribati) was dropped. All passengers were compensated with US$200 PP in onboard credit.

April 2, 2004, propulsion system problems (with the Azipod’s bearing) resulted in a reduced max speed (21 mph / 33 kph instead of 29 mph / 46 kph). Due to this issue, the Kiribati and Hawaii cruise itinerary was revised. All stops at the Fanning Island (Kiribati) were cancelled and substituted with the Hawaiian ports Kailua and Lahaina through Apr 25, when the vessel entered drydock for repairs. The Alaskan repositioning cruise (Honolulu to Vancouver) was also cancelled. Passengers booked on the affected cruises were fully refunded and given 25% discount on a future NCL booking.

August 7, 2005, propulsion problems on a Alaskan cruise caused reduced speeds and a major itinerary change the Glacier Bay was dropped and replaced with call port Sitka AK. As compensation, passengers received US$200 PP in onboard credit.

November 22, 2005, the Mexican Riviera cruise itinerary from Los Angeles was revised due to propulsion issues (damaged Azipod bearings). The old itinerary (Acapulco, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas) was replaced with Manzanillo, Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo. The revised itinerary was operated until the vessel entered dry-dock in 2006 on March 8. Booked passengers were compensated with US$100 in onboard credit per cabin.

December 27, 2006, engine problems resulted in an ~4 hours late arrival in call port Acapulco Mexico.

July 6, 2010, the vessel was reported for water pollution in Alaska, violating the Alaskan wastewater standard for Coliform bacteria.

April 12, 2015, Azipod (propulsion) problems forced the shipowner NCL to take the vessel out of service for drydock repairs. As result, the scheduled 15-days Panama Canal cruise (Apr 12 to 27, oneway itinerary from Los Angeles to Miami) was cancelled. As compensation, all booked passengers received a full refund, plus a 50% future NCL cruise booking discount. During the 2-week long drydock in Freeport Bahamas, along with the ABB (propulsion) unit replacement, the vessel’s hull was repainted with a new type of silicone paint (improving fuel efficiency).

October 17, 2015, the ship experienced a propulsion problem during the 13-days Transatlantic crossing from Europe to Caribbean (Oct 6 to 19). The itinerary was from Dover UK to Tampa Florida, with call ports in Azores (Ponta Delgada) and Florida (Miami). Call port Miami was dropped from the itinerary as result of the reduced cruising speed. The ship arrived in homeport Tampa FL earlier than scheduled (on Oct 17), with disembarkation of all passengers on Oct 18. Passengers with scheduled disembarkation in Miami were provided with free transportation to Miami cruise port, plus a 15% future NCL Star cruise booking discount. Passengers with disembarkation in Tampa were also given 15% future NCl booking discount, plus a partial (1 day) refund. All flights booked through NCl were adjusted free of charge. Passengers with independent travel arrangements were given free unlimited internet and free of charge external phone calls to change bookings of hotels and transportation. All flight change fees (up to USD 300 PP) and all hotel bookings (for Oct 18) were also covered by the shipowner NCL Norwegian Cruise Line.

December 11, 2016, due to mechanical issues, the ship’s departure from Singapore was delayed for almost 21 hours. Mechanical issues related to one of the main engines and also to the propulsion system (an azipod had electrical issues). The incident coincided with a delayed immigration process at the terminal, causing some cruise passengers to stay at the Singapore cruise ship terminal for ~5 hours. And this was just before the machinery malfunction to be announced by the Captain. As compensation, all passengers were fully refunded and additionally given 50% future NCL cruise booking discount. The accident occurred in the beginning of the 12-day Asia cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong (itinerary Dec 11 – 22) visiting Thailand (Koh Samui, Bangkok), Vietnam (Saigon, Nha Trang), and China (Sanya). The accident also resulted in restricted cruising speed and itinerary changes. Departure was on Dec 13, and the call ports were reduced to Nha Trang, Cham May, and Sanya, with all 5 days at sea.

January 25, 2017, while at sea (en-route from Singapore to Bali Indonesia), the ship experienced propulsion problems (Azipod failure) resulting in reduced cruising speed. In Port Benoa (Bali) was announced an itinerary change – 4 ports of call were skipped (Komodo Island, Cairns, Airlie Beach, Brisbane) and replaced with sea days to allow the vessel in-time arrival in Sydney Australia. As compensation, all passengers received AUD 200 in onboard credit plus 50% future NCL cruise booking discount. The accident occurred on a 22-day cruise from Hong Kong to Sydney AU (itinerary Jan 16 – Feb 6). All passengers received as compensation AUD 1,000 per cabin in onboard credit, plus 100% future NCL cruise booking discount PP (based on the fare paid) within the next 5 years. The next scheduled 13-day cruise from Sydney to Auckland New Zealand (itinerary Feb 6-18) was also changed – Melbourne AU (overnight was added – Feb 8-9), while Burnie Tasmania (Feb 9), Napier NZ (Feb 16) and Milford Sound NZ (Feb 12) were dropped. As compensation, all booked passengers received AUD 250 PP in onboard credit plus 25% future NCL cruise booking discount PP (based on the fare paid) within the next 5 years. Cancelled bookings were compensated with 100% future NCL cruise booking discount.

February 9, 2017, while en-route from Australia to New Zealand, the ship’s main propulsion engines broke down. The accident resulted in drifting, approx 70 km (45 ml) off the coast of Victoria state, and approx 20 km (13 ml) south of Inverloch. The ship had power (diesel generators were working). Its bow thrusters were functioning, allowing limited maneuverability, so tugboat assistance was needed. The accident occurred in Tasman Sea, soon after the cruise ship left Melbourne. Norwegian Cruise Line officially announced the company notified the authorities and arranged the ship to be towed back to Port Melbourne for repairs. As compensation, all passengers received full refund, plus 50% future NCL cruise booking discount. The cruise was cancelled (itinerary Feb 6-18, 13-day Sydney AU to Auckland NZ).

Bit of a dramatic statement....... A Technically qualified poster has already mentioned the ship retained its bow thrusters and this gives it the ability to maneuver in heavy seas and that the ship is already under the auspices of Maritime agencies regarding it's safety.

As a retired U.S. Navy Captain who commanded a warship, I can tell you a ship without propulsion is in a precarious situation, bow thrusters or not.

I have lifted this from the Norwegian Star entry on Cruiseminus.com. I am no expert but it seems that Azipods have caused problems since 2003.

As I have said on the various threads regarding the Star, it does seem to be snake bit regarding her azipods, but the question I was answering was whether both pods failing independently was rare, and I don't believe in any of the instances listed in your post have both pods failed at the same time.

As a retired U.S. Navy Captain who commanded a warship, I can tell you a ship without propulsion is in a precarious situation, bow thrusters or not.

Precarious perhaps. Life threatening, probably not. One can look at Carnival's Splendor and Triumph fires where the ships had no power at all, though thankfully in good weather. For a bad weather example of a ship surviving, look at the SS Badger State, which lost power in a typhoon, the cargo of bombs punched holes in the sides, a bomb exploded, and the ship caught fire. Completely abandoned, listing and on fire, and it weathered the storm and was found afloat 10 days later.

Is a ship without propulsion going to be unpleasant, yes. Is it going to sink, not likely unless it starts to take on water, and its basic intact stability changes.

What's the probability it'll make it to Auckland on time if it takes the approximate arrival time of the 12th, 5 days anticipated fixing, and to get to Auckland in the best and worst times? I have no idea how long it takes to actually get from Aus to NZ.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's perhaps better to ask what are the chances of them repairing it in 5 days?! I'd say not great.

And you know the problems haven't been fixed previously? You know that it is the same component failing each time? I don't. How do you "fix it until it is safe?" Do you throw out the entire propulsion system and replace it? How long do you test a component to see that it won't fail? Do we know whether the components that have failed this time have ever failed before in the ship's 16 year history? I'm all for fixing what's broke, and I've lived my entire professional career believing and practicing preventative maintenance, but how do you predict failures that may have never occurred before?

No idea how much an entire propulsion system costs, but can't be more than the *tens of millions* they must have paid out in the past couple of years in passenger compensation and associated costs, plus all that reputational damage.

What's the probability it'll make it to Auckland on time if it takes the approximate arrival time of the 12th, 5 days anticipated fixing, and to get to Auckland in the best and worst times? I have no idea how long it takes to actually get from Aus to NZ.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Arrival time 0200 2/12, 60 hours for repair is 0200 2/17 for leaving. Best time to Aukland would be at 22 knots, which is 3 days 3 hours or 0500 on the 20th.

No idea how much an entire propulsion system costs, but can't be more than the *tens of millions* they must have paid out in the past couple of years in passenger compensation and associated costs, plus all that reputational damage.

Glad you put "tens of millions" in quotes, as neither you nor I know how much compensation they have paid out because of the Star. It could be "tens of millions", and it could be a couple of million, unless you are on NCL's board you wouldn't know. Are NCL's bookings suffering? According to their 3rd quarter 2016 statement, advanced bookings for the first half of 2017 are ahead of 2016's record bookings. We will see what effect the latest Star problems have for NCL.

It's perhaps better to ask what are the chances of them repairing it in 5 days?! I'd say not great.

And if they do repair both pods in 5 days, will this be considered a "band aid" repair, because you don't believe they can do it? I'm a marine engineer, and without knowing what has failed in the past (I do know what it was in some cases), or which pod it was, and what has failed now, I can't say whether they will have another failure soon, or a couple of years down the road, or never again in the ship's life. Only someone who has studied the ship's maintenance records, and has discussed the problems with the pods' manufacturer, can tell for sure. You fix what's broke.

And if they do repair both pods in 5 days, will this be considered a "band aid" repair, because you don't believe they can do it? I'm a marine engineer, and without knowing what has failed in the past (I do know what it was in some cases), or which pod it was, and what has failed now, I can't say whether they will have another failure soon, or a couple of years down the road, or never again in the ship's life. Only someone who has studied the ship's maintenance records, and has discussed the problems with the pods' manufacturer, can tell for sure. You fix what's broke.

Have NCL actually officially said it'll take 5days or is this something that they've told passengers on board? Until there's something official, I'm skeptical.

In which case sir I bow to your experience in the matter........

I guess the location close to rescue assets formed part of the risk assessment at the time..

Did anybody see Nova on PBS the other night? The show was about the building of the Seven Seas Explorer, for one of NCL's sister lines.

Did you notice that the propulsion system was 2 propellers, each on a single shaft. Not an azipod in sight.

Just sayin'.

I am not a marine engineer , although I play one on TV .:rolleyes: What I do know is that these issues have dogged the Star for a while . Don't you believe NCL has tried to fix the problems before the latest ? Yet they have been unsuccessful . And now both azipods are broken . If they fix one in 5 days but not the other then that is absolutely a band-aid solution . I don't have to know what failed or be a marine engineer to agree with chengkp .

Arrival time 0200 2/12, 60 hours for repair is 0200 2/17 for leaving. Best time to Aukland would be at 22 knots, which is 3 days 3 hours or 0500 on the 20th.

If the ship comes alongside in Melbourne at 02.00 on the 12th then 60 hours (repair window) takes it to 16.00 on the 15th doesn't it?

Sufficient time to reach Auckland for the 18th?

Of course this assumes all the parts they need are also alongside and available as they need them.

Lots of unknowns I admit in this and NCL are not the best at sharing information.

I'm guessing most would be satisfied if NCL allowed those with upcoming cruises to cancel with no or reduced penalty .That decision they could and should make .

We are scheduled on the 2/18 cruise. We have been offered a 100% future cruise credit should we decide not take this cruise. We will arrive in Aukland on the 16th regardless and plan on having a great time seeing New Zealand if the cruise doesn't depart at all.

If the ship comes alongside in Melbourne at 02.00 on the 12th then 60 hours (repair window) takes it to 16.00 on the 15th doesn't it?

Sufficient time to reach Auckland for the 18th?

Of course this assumes all the parts they need are also alongside and available as they need them.

Lots of unknowns I admit in this and NCL are not the best at sharing information.

I'm brain farting here a little, trying to multitask. Repair window is not 60 hours, but 4-5 days, which is why I said leaving Melbourne on the 17th.

We are scheduled on the 2/18 cruise. We have been offered a 100% future cruise credit should we decide not take this cruise. We will arrive in Aukland on the 16th regardless and plan on having a great time seeing New Zealand if the cruise doesn't depart at all.

Congratulations to you and congratulations to NCL for doing the right thing . BTW , is there a time limit to use this offer ?

Did anybody see Nova on PBS the other night? The show was about the building of the Seven Seas Explorer, for one of NCL's sister lines.

Did you notice that the propulsion system was 2 propellers, each on a single shaft. Not an azipod in sight.

Just sayin'.

A lot of that is to do with the "azipod shimmy" where the stern moves side to side as the azipods turn the propellers to steer. This causes the water flow across the flat hull above the pods to swing side to side (a couple of degrees usually), and causes the shimmy vibration. You will also notice that the Explorer has a "skeg" or vertical hull section between the propellers, also to increase lateral stability and try to minimize the rudder movements needed to maintain a straight course. This is all about the "luxury" class that FDR wants the ship to attain, with minimum vibration. Shafted propellers are much less vibration prone than azipods, since the water that is deflected by steering only interacts with the hull behind the rudders (almost at the stern), while azipods draw the water from a different line to the keel when steered away from centerline, and this affects a larger portion of the hull.