Forts in San Juan

DKNE

Planning on touring the forts, as we were there in April and couldn't make it in as there was a military thing going on and they weren't letting people in.

So this time we want to see the forts.

Which one should we see 'first'? And if you pay in the one fort, does that get you entrance way into the other one?

We are in port from 1pm-8pm, enough time, as I think they close around 6pm?

Tks.

I would go to San Cristobal first. Then walk up the hill along the ocean to El Morro. When paying in one fort, it used to give you entrance to both but things have changed since i have gone in and not sure.

I think you have plenty of time and yes they close at 6PM.

Another question....would it be better to take a cab to El Morro and walk downhill to San Cristobal? We have a couple of slow walkers in our group who are wanting to check out the forts. Thanks for any and all info!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think your questions have been answered, but as we are just back from a 3 days stay in San Juan at the end of a cruise I thought I would add our experience.

We loved the forts in San Juan - and we are not "into" military stuff, but the views and everything are just marvellous. These sites are a photographer's paradise!

You can reuse your ticket for both. We were told they are valid for a week. We actually went twice into each fort, over a couple of days, so it was really good value at US$5 per person. We must have spent at least 4 hours in total in each fort, but you will get a good feel with a couple of hours at each one.

It is an easy walk from one to the other, in either direction - just hot and windy! You get good views of the coastline, La Perla (the rundown community outside the city wall) and the amazing Santa Maria Magdalena de Pazzis Cemetery en route.

It is easy walking around San Juan, even though there are some hills and stairs. Such a colourful, delightful place! We loved wandering the streets of Old San Juan.

San Juan is definitely a place which deserves longer than a day in port and we were glad we decided to stay 3 nights after our cruise, as I do not expect to be back.

Enjoy those fortresses - we have travelled a lot and they really impressed us as probably up with the best we have seen anywhere in the world.

Another question....would it be better to take a cab to El Morro and walk downhill to San Cristobal? We have a couple of slow walkers in our group who are wanting to check out the forts. Thanks for any and all info!

If they are slow walkers, i would definitely take a cab to El Morro. They will be quite tired trying to walk to both forts plus all the walking there is at the forts.

Our ship only arrives @ 3 pm. I would think we only have time for 1 fort before it gets dark. Should we do San Cristobal? We would like to spend some time strolling Old San Juan while we can still see!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our ship only arrives @ 3 pm. I would think we only have time for 1 fort before it gets dark. Should we do San Cristobal? We would like to spend some time strolling Old San Juan while we can still see!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would definitely go to San Cristobal first then walk up to El Morro. I spent a few days there at all times and Sunset is just as gorgeous on the grounds of El Morro.

You could always take the free trolley

• 4 months later...