Boarding Granduer Baltimore?

ARI421

7 hour drive to Baltimore, and I am.trying to figure the best time to leave. Boarding is 11-3? That seems like such a big window? What time do most people arrive?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

most people will want to be there by 1030. I would not push it past 0200 to build in delays for pee breaks, traffic, construction, etc. midnight if the forecast is for snow. you can always pull in to a nice sit down restaurant for breakfast if you get there before 900( most likely they will not start letting people in until about 930/1000)

you must be ON BOARD 90 minutes before scheduled departure. if you are parking on site that does help as the parking lot is adjacent to the terminal( no shuttles or anything required)

Not sure where you are traveling from but if you have to use I95 south from Delaware beware that there are frequently back ups. I live near Delaware and go to Baltimore often. It is 50 miles and takes about an hour, without traffic, but can take me twice that with back ups.

7 hour drive to Baltimore, and I am.trying to figure the best time to leave. Boarding is 11-3? That seems like such a big window? What time do most people arrive?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

In JANUARY???!??!?!?!

Best time to leave? The day before.

Stay at a hotel near the port. Or even the Inner Harbor and enjoy the stay.

I would not plan on a seven hour drive on JANUARY 17. I just wouldn't.

We booked through Trinity. It was a park and cruise package and we stayed overnight at the Best Western and parked for a 12 day cruise with breakfast in the AM and a free shuttle to the pier for less than parking at the pier...and no worries about weather or traffic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We booked through Trinity. It was a park and cruise package and we stayed overnight at the Best Western and parked for a 12 day cruise with breakfast in the AM and a free shuttle to the pier for less than parking at the pier...and no worries about weather or traffic.

Was the parking in a secure area or is it just in the lot anywhere? I live 2 hours away and do have a reservation there. If the weather is going to be good, we will cancel and just drive, Our cruise leaves Jan. 23. Also, what time did the shuttle back after the cruise pick you up?

Parking is in a secure area directly adjacent to the terminal building where you check in. No shuttle from your car required as your walk will be no longer than 2 minutes. Note the parking lots surrounding the terminal. Check out the satellite imagery at the link below to get your bearings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2646423,-76.5982542,590m/data=!3m1!1e3

The Grandeur docks at the berth immediately adjacent to the terminal.

In JANUARY???!??!?!?!

Best time to leave? The day before.

Stay at a hotel near the port. Or even the Inner Harbor and enjoy the stay.

I would not plan on a seven hour drive on JANUARY 17. I just wouldn't.

I agree with Merion Mom. We live a little over 5 hours from the port, but travel the afternoon/evening before and stay in a hotel that is about 20-30 minutes from the port. This time of year you never know what weather you might encounter and even though the interstate is right beside the port area, you have to allow for traffic and hopefully no delays from accidents or rush hours. We sleep in, have breakfast, and no rushing. We try to be at the port around 10:45 and are on the ship around 11ish. Enjoy!

I agree with arriving the day before and staying at a hotel that offers free parking and shuttle to the cruise port. We only live about 1 1/2 hrs away and go the day before. I have never gone down that way without traffic tie-ups. An accident could really set you behind and there is almost always road construction.

Try trinityreservations.com or stay123.com. I've used both and they are fine.

Gwen :)

Thanks Golden Domer for the Google Maps link. This will be our first time sailing out of Baltimore, so getting a feel for the area is extremely helpful. :D

Even though we live less than 3 hours away from the terminal, we are still going to Baltimore the day before. In addition to being in place on our sailing day, it's a wonderful opportunity to catch up with old friends who live there and give us excellent rates for overnight accommodations, LOL! ;)

On a more serious note, traffic in this area can back up seriously and significantly without notice. For those planning to drive in on the same day from a significant distance, you may wish to reconsider. You may be used to more extreme weather in January, but this area can get a lot of freezing rain/sleet/ice. I don't care how many wheel drive your vehicle is; that makes for treacherous conditions. :eek: Take it from someone who grew up Canada (Ottawa, Upper Ottawa Valley, east of Thunder Bay on Lake Superior).

Not sure where you are traveling from but if you have to use I95 south from Delaware beware that there are frequently back ups. I live near Delaware and go to Baltimore often. It is 50 miles and takes about an hour, without traffic, but can take me twice that with back ups.

Also if you're going straight to the port from 95 South, the exit to the port is DIRECTLY after the Fort McHenry Tunnel. There are two bores you can go through, but the EZ pass express lane is on the far left hand side. If you use this, you will get shunted over to the left bore, which will make you miss the exit to Locust Point where the cruise terminal is. You will want to stay to the right side to be able to exit.

Was the parking in a secure area or is it just in the lot anywhere? I live 2 hours away and do have a reservation there. If the weather is going to be good, we will cancel and just drive, Our cruise leaves Jan. 23. Also, what time did the shuttle back after the cruise pick you up?

Shuttles ran continously after the cruise. Parking was right behind the Best Western, not a fenced lot but very close to the building. We left 2 vehicles there, ours and my sisters, and nothing was bothered at all.