In-cabin babysitting?

Has anyone ever tried in-cabin babysitting? We will be on the Allure in April and want to see Mama Mia but the times are not great for us as we have a 3 year old and the kids club at 8 pm plus him will be a bad combination. With that said, has anyone tried in cabin babysitting? Who do they send? I read it's 20$ an hour. Not cheap but you do what you gotta do.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For that $20 you actually get 2 sitters. I have heard two stories: one is that they are kids club staff and the other is they are random staff looking to earn a little extra.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Absolutely incorrect. The babysitters are trained staff and part of the children's club program, all of whom have some form of child development or related formal training and are well scrutinized.

Our granddaughters were 5 and 8 when on Oasis, and they loved the sitters. They brought crafts appropriate for the girls' ages. Used them twice. One of two sitters came both nights. Definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Absolutely incorrect. The babysitters are trained staff and part of the children's club program, all of whom have some form of child development or related formal training and are well scrutinized.

We have used in-cabin sitting on a couple of cruises, when DS was 1 year old, and again when he was 3. It has been 5 years since we used the service, but unless something has changed (which it certainly might have), the babysitters were absolutely NOT part of the children's club program.

We spoke with each of our sitters, and they were happy to tell us what their "day jobs" were on the ship -- receptionist in the medical office, housekeeper for public areas of the ship, etc.

We were very happy with the babysitting services. We had rented DECT phones on both of the voyages, so the sitters were able to call us if they needed us (which only happened one time out of ~ 14 nights of using the service).

And you are absolutely incorrect. At least part of the time.

The staff may be from Adventure Ocean staff. But they could also be house keepers.They could be waiters.

The staff in adventure ocean meet the requirements you mention. Not necessarily true for the in-room staff.

And you are absolutely incorrect. At least part of the time.

The staff may be from Adventure Ocean staff. But they could also be house keepers.They could be waiters.

The staff in adventure ocean meet the requirements you mention. Not necessarily true for the in-room staff.

Well I can only say what our experience has been and were told, but that has been some time ago.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

April 2015 we were told at least one of the two sitters would always be from Adventure Ocean.

That sounds right if they aren't all from AO. I can't imagine they would send just any crew for in room sitting. Too much liability I would think.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The $20/hr was $17/hr in April 2015. The $17/hr had a two hour minimum. The price was per room for up to three kids, as I recall. My DS and DIL and kids are from NYC, so they thought that price was reasonable and worth every penny. [emoji106]

• 1 month later...
The $20/hr was $17/hr in April 2015. The $17/hr had a two hour minimum. The price was per room for up to three kids, as I recall. My DS and DIL and kids are from NYC, so they thought that price was reasonable and worth every penny. [emoji106]

Assuming my 4 and 2 year old will be sleeping in the sofa section of the 182sqft oceanview balcony room, where exactly do the two sitters sit in the room while they sleep? I'm picturing two sitters sitting in a pitch black room on the floor with I-phones waiting for the parents to get back. Is that about right?

Assuming my 4 and 2 year old will be sleeping in the sofa section of the 182sqft oceanview balcony room, where exactly do the two sitters sit in the room while they sleep? I'm picturing two sitters sitting in a pitch black room on the floor with I-phones waiting for the parents to get back. Is that about right?

If the children are sleeping I would expect they would sit on your bed, or the floor, and leave at least the light by the bed on. It's a small light used primarily to read by. They probably bring their phone or a lap top. Don't forget the sitters are used to living with a cabin mate in a tiny cabin.

For that $20 you actually get 2 sitters. I have heard two stories: one is that they are kids club staff and the other is they are random staff looking to earn a little extra.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Makes sense. They probably need 2 staff from a security POV

• 8 months later...

Our son and DIL used the sitters twice on recent cruise. Yes, there were two each time. They arrived with toys and books. The second time one of the sitters was the same as first time. My granddaughters liked all of them.

As I recall, their fee was charged on the onboard account, but I know their tips were in cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are currently on board Navigator and were hoping to book in room babysitting. Apparently the sitters (as others have said, it’s always 2) can be any crew members who would like to perform the role, and they receive some basic training when they sign up. However the service relies on their being staff who want to do the additional hours, and on our current sailing nobody does want to work the extra hours this week, so there is no in room sitting available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Book as soon as you get on board. We were on the Oasis two weeks ago and on Day 2 tried to get one for Day 6 so we could do the Chef's Table. No luck, not even the concierge could get us one. Luckily the GD's (5&3) loved the Ocean Adventure so no problem.