Crown Princess 7 Jan - What's Up?

tcdcruiser

We are waiting to board. We were told there was a medical emergency & someone needed to be evacuated. Ship is supposed to dock at 6 & will spend an extra day in Buenos Aires, leaving tomorrow evening & stopping in Montevideo the next day.They are eliminating the Falklands stop. They have bussed all passengers to the nearby Sheraton Hotel & will bus us back later this evening.

Hard on the passengers who were looking forward to the Falklands but even harder on the passenger or crew member who has the medical emergency. Hopefully they have travel insurance. Best of luck to them whoever they are.

Edited by Thrak

I agree with you, Thrak. I try to keep myself focused on being grateful I am not the passenger who had to be evacuated & that our only problem is boarding the ship 5 or 6 hours later than We planned!:)

We got onboard in Rio on Wednesday and have nothing but problems, one very tragic.

On Thursday afternoon a public announcement was made that there was a sick passenger who needed blood. They were soliciting passengers to give blood. About 4 p.m. on Thursday the captain announced that the passenger was in critical condition and that he would have to be evacuated. We had a 360 turn and headed north again. A Brazilian coast guard helicopter was suppose to land on the ship and evacuate the passenger. However, the weather turned poor and an airlift was not possible. We proceeded north for about 2 hours towards a small port where a boat met us and took the passenger to a local hospital. The captain later announced that he passed away shortly thereafter. We then resumed our trip towards Buenos Aires. Yesterday morning the captain announced we would not arrive Buenos Aires until about 6 p.m. tonight- he never explained why what appeared to be a 4 hour diversion was resulting in a 10 hr. delay arriving Buenos Aires.

Then at about 2:00 this afternoon we were advised that due to strong winds there were low water levels of water in the port and we cannot dock. The captain has now just announced that the port has advised that we cannot proceed towards the dock until 9:00 p.m. with an estimated arrival of 1:00 a.m. No one can disembark until tomorrow morning. We are presently anchored in the channel 2 hrs. from the port.

There is an additional problem with the arrival at Montevideo. Due to our delay we have lost our berth space at Monevideo. We are going to leave Buenos Aires at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow and drop anchor off Montevideo and spend the day anchored until about 6:30 p.m. on Monday. We will then stop long enough to refuel and load provisions and then plan to leave Montevideo at about midnight Monday. The stop at Montevideo is mandatory to refuel and provision. The captain said we can get off for a short time only.

The captain has given no further information about our arrivals and tours at the ports of Falkland Islands, Ushuia or Porte Arenas.

Please pardon any typos. I trying to type this as fast as possible as I have to pay by the minute for internet.

So sorry to hear about the pax and the outcome. I hope things get better on this cruise after today. We will be boarding the Crown next month. I just looked at the bridge cam which was updated at 18:51 GMT saying that the ship is headed to BA. Marine Traffic is saying the ship is at anchor off of BA now at 21:04 GMT.

Edited by satxdiver

Thanks JimC for the detailed info. We arrived at the port this afternoon to board (we've been here in BsAs for a week) and were given an info. sheet explaining about the medevac delay. Were advised we would board the ship about 7pm and would leave here tomorrow evening arriving in Montevideo Monday. The info we were given advised that the stop at Stanley had been scrapped. They've now put us up at the Sheraton Liberador for the night with no word on when we will embark tomorrow. So it seems all is not quite lost yet. So sorry about the lost soul and his mate. Makes our situations seem rather minor in comparison.

there were low water levels of water in the port and we cannot dock.
Sounds like complete bullsh.. imho. At this second, the MSC Orchestra just passes the Crown (just leaving the harbor). Edited by EDVM96

Sounds like complete bullsh.. imho. At this second, the MSC Orchestra just passes the Crown (just leaving the harbor).

Well, when the port tells you you can't come in because of low water level, I'd think that they would have to have a good reason why they refused permission to come into the port. Not being a sailor, I'd suspect that the reason that one ship (Orchestra) can leave and another cannot enter (Crown) is probably due to the difference in draft of the two ships (Orchestra 7.9m vs Crown 8.5m) (I was curious and looked it up.)

But it's a lot easier to just call bs from a few thousand miles away I guess.

Tom