Dunn's River Falls

BlueSky73

Looking on the RCL website, there are SEVERAL shore excursions to Dunn's River Falls, which is the most important thing for us to do on this cruise.

If any of you can remember waaaay back to when Eastern Airlines sponsored the Wings of Man/If You Had Wings ride in Tomorrowland at Disney you might remember the scenes from Dunn's River Falls - groups of people climbing the falls and playing in the pools at the bottom. My parents are in those scenes - they were on their second honeymoon, so we couldn't think of a better place to celebrate our 15th anniversary. :)

Would love to hear any and all suggestions and reviews of the ones you have been on, or have heard experiences from friends.

We have such great memories of the day we did the Falls. I would not miss it as I think you will have an awesome time. We did it back when the ships were docking at Ochos Rios and it was so easy to get to them. So, unfortunately, I can't provide any recommendations for getting there.

I hope you have as great a time as we did.:):)

We used Courtney Taylor tours for our Dunns River Falls excursion and had a great time.

I'm guessing that is a non-RCL excursion...do the prices vary greatly? Not that it really matters...of course we don't want to pay the sun and the moon, but this trip to the falls is the focus. I am concerned that all of the RCL excursions fine print says that there may not be time to climb to the top of the falls. I think I would be crushed.

Looking on the RCL website, there are SEVERAL shore excursions to Dunn's River Falls, which is the most important thing for us to do on this cruise.

If any of you can remember waaaay back to when Eastern Airlines sponsored the Wings of Man/If You Had Wings ride in Tomorrowland at Disney you might remember the scenes from Dunn's River Falls - groups of people climbing the falls and playing in the pools at the bottom. My parents are in those scenes - they were on their second honeymoonQUOTE]

I loved that little clip. Had no idea where it was taken the first couple of times I saw it.

The first time we climbed the falls we were barefoot. It would have been fine if it hadn't been like walking on razor blades, marbles and golf balls.

Wear your old sneakers!

Second time was a shore excursion. A crew member wanted to guide us up the falls. A guy in a group of locals also wanted to guide us. We started with the crew member but part way up, the local caught up with us and they started fighting. We had to keep going. My friends and I tried to see where the people ahead of us put their feet and managed after some scary mistakes to get to the top. Did not see either of the two guys again.

Rule 1, wear something on your feet, and not flip flops unless you're very agile and lucky.

Rule 2, absolutely have a guide, a real one, and form a chain just like in the clip.

The secret is knowing where to put your feet.

It's fun, and safer than you might think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went with Trevor Hudlin (cooltrevh@yahoo.com) and are scheduled to go with him again in a few weeks. He is awesome and will give you lots of good tips about the falls. You may want to hire a couple of the young guides as we found the climb somewhat dangerous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would agree if you've never done it, it is a must. Did it barefoot in the 80's (everyone was barefoot then), can not imagine doing it without good water shoes (like keens not the $10 ones from Walmart). We've done it with the ship excursion and also: excursions in Jamaica dot com (no spaces). We used excursions in Jamaica when Royal was docking in Montego Bay and even with the drive to Ocho Rios there was no problem making it to the top. If you are really concerned with not having time to climb don't pick a combo trip (but honestly can't imagine not having time. Pro of using a private excursion is they will prioritize what is important to you, con is if you run into any problems (traffic or otherwise) they will not hold the ship for you. Last 2 excursions we did through the ship we did not get the full excursion as described because they ran out of time. We did one in Roatan on our own that we had no problems with, repeated it with the whole family through the ship and to no fault of Royal there were problems in getting back in time and they held the ship 30 minutes past sail away time (60 minutes after all aboard). We still mix it up some but when going more than 20 minutes away now we book through the ship. Enjoy your excursion no matter how you book it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If any of you can remember waaaay back to when Eastern Airlines sponsored the Wings of Man/If You Had Wings ride in Tomorrowland at Disney you might remember the scenes from Dunn's River Falls - groups of people climbing the falls and playing in the pools at the bottom. My parents are in those scenes - they were on their second honeymoon, so we couldn't think of a better place to celebrate our 15th anniversary. :)

Would love to hear any and all suggestions and reviews of the ones you have been on, or have heard experiences from friends.

"If you had wings...had wings"....that's all I remember from the song :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally remember that! For better or worse it is now the Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger ride, but I have fond memories of If You Had Wings! :)

We have been to Dunn's two times and both times have used KnowJamaica tours with Javia Shaw! He is the best and both times we had a great trip to Dunn's, a small tour around Ocho Rios, lunch and back to Falmouth with plenty of time to spare!

I'm guessing that is a non-RCL excursion...do the prices vary greatly? Not that it really matters...of course we don't want to pay the sun and the moon, but this trip to the falls is the focus. I am concerned that all of the RCL excursions fine print says that there may not be time to climb to the top of the falls. I think I would be crushed.

The nice thing that we found about using a private excursion was that we arrived at Dunns River before the hundreds upon hundreds of other passengers from all the ships in port that day. By the time we left the place was a zoo. We had plenty of time to climb to the top. We climbed on our own and not part of a large group. Prices were a fair bit cheaper...maybe 25%.