Carnival Vista moving to Galveston

Margaritaville TX

Fog only seems to be a huge issue here because the people who do get inconvenienced are very vocal about it. They'd lost in a sea of posts if people started posting "Sailed this week with no fog". I'm about thirty minutes from the island, and close to the water, so when Galveston gets fog we usually get fog. So far this year hasn't been bad. We did have a couple of years recently where fog was more of a problem than usual so I'm guessing that's where Galveston's undeserved reputation is coming from.
Our problem in sailing from Galveston is that it's just not that easy flying into Houston from/returning to the East Coast. The latest fight home that we could book after our cruise was 3:20 p.m. Yes, we had fog and no, we didn't make our flight. Aside from our losing a day from work and our kids missing a day from school, it wasn't a big deal - we re-booked our flights for the next morning fairly easily while we were still aboard the ship. I'd like to try a Galveston sailing again - we didn't have any time to explore - but being able to book direct flights in and out of Florida is so much easier.

Can't wait ! [emoji3] We were on the Breeze this past fall and it was the worse cruise so far! After that cruise I refused to go on another Carnival boat until they brought the Magic back or put something new down there! And as soon as I saw on John Heald's Facebook page that Vista was coming, I ran to book! I just wish I could have gone this year, but the kiddos have been dying to go to Disney so that first! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can't wait ! [emoji3] We were on the Breeze this past fall and it was the worse cruise so far! After that cruise I refused to go on another Carnival boat until they brought the Magic back or put something new down there! And as soon as I saw on John Heald's Facebook page that Vista was coming, I ran to book! I just wish I could have gone this year, but the kiddos have been dying to go to Disney so that first! [emoji6]

OK......I will bite, why would you expect the Vista to be vastly different than your "worst cruise" on the Breeze?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL, don't fool yourself. It is much more about supply and demand. The Vista is their newest ship which will demand a higher cruise fare. Galveston is one of their most popular ports with over 5 million people within a 3 hour drive.

5 million people in 3hr drive?!? There are 7 million in Houston metro alone. More like three times that number. Besides the small cruise terminal, Galveston is a great port. Florida only has the 3 day advantage to Nassau. Loving it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

jimbo5544

Nothing to "bite" at. The Breeze, in my opinion, was not up to par on the entertainment such as the shows and the offering of things in the evenings (Caribbean party, midnight Mexican buffet just to name a few) that the Magic had every time we cruised on that one. The boat was beautiful, but all I can assume is that the directors were complete opposites and it is not a boat I would ever cruise on again. With the Vista having a lot of amenities such as the IMAX theatre and it being a ship we have never sailed on (new shows and director), I am being positive in the hopes it will become a favorite like the Magic was to so many for so many years.

jimbo5544

Nothing to "bite" at. The Breeze, in my opinion, was not up to par on the entertainment such as the shows and the offering of things in the evenings (Caribbean party, midnight Mexican buffet just to name a few) that the Magic had every time we cruised on that one. The boat was beautiful, but all I can assume is that the directors were complete opposites and it is not a boat I would ever cruise on again. With the Vista having a lot of amenities such as the IMAX theatre and it being a ship we have never sailed on (new shows and director), I am being positive in the hopes it will become a favorite like the Magic was to so many for so many years.

Let us know what you think after you sail the Vista.

5 million people in 3hr drive?!? There are 7 million in Houston metro alone. More like three times that number. Besides the small cruise terminal, Galveston is a great port. Florida only has the 3 day advantage to Nassau. Loving it

Stand corrected on population, having an advantage to Nassau is nothing to brag about, that said, sailing from Galveston is one interesting home port.

Not from what I have read. Fog is a familiar problem there, but I think it's worse certain times of the year. Can't recall how many times I have seen posts on people delayed for hours due to it there, but it has been a lot. Sure, every port can have problems, but fog seems to haunt Galveston. I think I saw once where it happened in Miami, and maybe a couple in Tampa. Still makes me vow to stay away.

We have cruised more than 35 times out of Galveston or the Port of Houston on Carnival, RCCL, Princess and NCL. The majority of cruises were out of Galveston. We had 2 fog delays on Carnival cruises. The delay in January 2012 was the longest. We did not embark until 5pm and the Magic did not sail until 3:45 am. We still made all our ports. We had a fog delay on the Ecstasy that kept us out at sea until mid afternoon the day we were due back. We had a delayed embarkation in January 2009 on the Voyager of the Seas, but even with a late sailing we made all our ports on time.

We had 2 fog delays on Princess cruises, once on the Caribbean Princess in December 2013 and another on the Emerald Princess in January 2015. Both cruises had fog at both ends. We were delayed embarking and debarking. We didn't board until after 3pm and on the return did not disembark either cruise until 4pm. Made all our ports and had a great time on both cruises. We really miss Princess!

I sailed out of Tampa twice, once on the Miracle and once on the Legend. We had a fog delay on one and a wind delay on the other.

I don't think that 5 out of 35 December or January cruises impacted by fog is too bad, but I did feel snakebit by my Tampa experience.

I will take my chances with Galveston and hope that there is no fog next weekend when we board the Breeze.

jimbo5544

Will do, but unfortunately it won't be for awhile [emoji853]and anything can happen in that time frame. Have you ever sailed it? I actually would like to get some feedback on how it actually compares to other boats in the Dream class. There are tons of reviews on all the boats, but I haven't seen many comparing and contrasting the boats (and not just logistically, but on type of shows, parties, atmosphere, etc.) I am sure it all depends on the time of sailing as well, but it would help some of us in choosing boats sometimes.

jimbo5544

Will do, but unfortunately it won't be for awhile [emoji853]and anything can happen in that time frame. Have you ever sailed it? I actually would like to get some feedback on how it actually compares to other boats in the Dream class. There are tons of reviews on all the boats, but I haven't seen many comparing and contrasting the boats (and not just logistically, but on type of shows, parties, atmosphere, etc.) I am sure it all depends on the time of sailing as well, but it would help some of us in choosing boats sometimes.

WE have done the Breeze 3 times and the Vista over in Europe and loved her. I guess the point is what matters is what you think about your cruises. There are some unique things for the Vista. I did a review of our sailing with lots of info and many pics if you would like to read it.

We have cruised more than 35 times out of Galveston or the Port of Houston on Carnival, RCCL, Princess and NCL. The majority of cruises were out of Galveston. We had 2 fog delays on Carnival cruises. The delay in January 2012 was the longest. We did not embark until 5pm and the Magic did not sail until 3:45 am. We still made all our ports. We had a fog delay on the Ecstasy that kept us out at sea until mid afternoon the day we were due back. We had a delayed embarkation in January 2009 on the Voyager of the Seas, but even with a late sailing we made all our ports on time.

We had 2 fog delays on Princess cruises, once on the Caribbean Princess in December 2013 and another on the Emerald Princess in January 2015. Both cruises had fog at both ends. We were delayed embarking and debarking. We didn't board until after 3pm and on the return did not disembark either cruise until 4pm. Made all our ports and had a great time on both cruises. We really miss Princess!

I sailed out of Tampa twice, once on the Miracle and once on the Legend. We had a fog delay on one and a wind delay on the other.

I don't think that 5 out of 35 December or January cruises impacted by fog is too bad, but I did feel snakebit by my Tampa experience.

I will take my chances with Galveston and hope that there is no fog next weekend when we board the Breeze.

17 cruises for me so far. 1 from New Orleans and the rest from Ft Lauderdale, Miami, or Norfolk. Delays due to fog - 0. There's still no way I would sail from Galveston or Tampa knowing it's a real possibility. Sure, it's not a guaranteed hiccup, but when it does happen, it's a major PITA. I can't afford to deal with that mess due to work amongst other things.

I feel so bad for those trying to get home or having to scramble for hotel rooms in Galveston tonight. Perhaps if I lived within driving distance, I would feel the need to defend "my port" with the same intensity as others (general statement not directed at any one person). In that case, it would be my first choice as well due to ease of travel. But since I have to fly there, I choose to cross the trouble-prone areas off my list of possibilities. Plus it's not like they go anywhere special. I can get the same ho-hum Western Itineraries from Florida on Carnival.

I also hope you have an uneventful boarding next week. No matter how much people disagree on here, I think we all want to hear that everyone has a fun filled, drama free cruise. At least I do! Happy sailing! Take lots of pictures and be sure to post them :).

17 cruises for me so far. 1 from New Orleans and the rest from Ft Lauderdale, Miami, or Norfolk. Delays due to fog - 0. There's still no way I would sail from Galveston or Tampa knowing it's a real possibility. Sure, it's not a guaranteed hiccup, but when it does happen, it's a major PITA. I can't afford to deal with that mess due to work amongst other things.

I feel so bad for those trying to get home or having to scramble for hotel rooms in Galveston tonight. Perhaps if I lived within driving distance, I would feel the need to defend "my port" with the same intensity as others (general statement not directed at any one person). In that case, it would be my first choice as well due to ease of travel. But since I have to fly there, I choose to cross the trouble-prone areas off my list of possibilities. Plus it's not like they go anywhere special. I can get the same ho-hum Western Itineraries from Florida on Carnival.

I also hope you have an uneventful boarding next week. No matter how much people disagree on here, I think we all want to hear that everyone has a fun filled, drama free cruise. At least I do! Happy sailing! Take lots of pictures and be sure to post them :).

Time of year has a lot to do with the fog.....

Stand corrected on population, having an advantage to Nassau is nothing to brag about, that said, sailing from Galveston is one interesting home port.

Sorry Jim didn't mean to sound like a pompous blankity blank. Haha, just happy to see a another new ship here.

WE have done the Breeze 3 times and the Vista over in Europe and loved her. I guess the point is what matters is what you think about your cruises. There are some unique things for the Vista. I did a review of our sailing with lots of info and many pics if you would like to read it.

Yes I would love to read it!

I wish Galveston had better itineraries so I can consider leaving from there. Their itineraries suck. Good thing I'm cruising Vista this year.

THIS!! We're flying to Port Canaveral this summer because the itineraries are just awful. How many times do you want to go to Jamaica and Cozumel. They could throw in a Half Moon Cay!

Thank you!

I think I spent a fair amount of time on the entertainment that we found on the Vista. Granted, it may change somewhat by the time she gets to Galveston, but it will give you an idea of how the Vista is different than other Carnival ships.

Wonder why they would do that especially with the bigger ships and fog constantly being an issue? So now when there are delays, it will be on an even bigger proportion. I'm scared to sail from there for that very reason. What a mess it becomes.

We dont habe a lot of fog issues throughout the year. Just a couple of times during winter. Actually its been 80 degrees and sunny for the most part!!! Im excited and looking to book as I will only have to drive 45 minutes to the port!!!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

We dont habe a lot of fog issues throughout the year. Just a couple of times during winter. Actually its been 80 degrees and sunny for the most part!!! Im excited and looking to book as I will only have to drive 45 minutes to the port!!!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

I can see where it wouldn't be that big of an issue since you drive and I would probably have the same positive attitude if I were in the same situation. But for those of us that fly, no way. I couldn't have that kind of fiasco happen trying to get home or have the possibility of getting stuck without a hotel room if I couldn't get on especially since I travel a lot solo.

The only way I would even entertain leaving from there would be if it were a super duper itinerary which they don't have. I can get the generic Western cruise much easier from FL. Glad I'll be trying out Vista in a couple months from Miami. Hope you guys enjoy her and I'll keep my fingers crossed for no more delays like last night and today!