Harmony of The Seas - looking for any info, including travelling with a toddler!

Hi there, We are travelling on Harmony of the Seas Western Caribbean in March. We have travelled with RC before, but never on a ship this size, and first time with our toddler. Also the first time with a Central Park balcony (we've always had ocean view balconies). I am feeling overwhelmed by all the things to do and planning that needs to be done in advance. Also trying to picture how we will arrange cabin with the play pen. (And where I'll be while he naps!) Any information or insight would be really appreciated. Thanks!!

You can still go on your CP balcony during nap time!

I wouldn't try to plan TOO much...with a toddler, you know how plans change! Decide which things are most important to you, and go ahead and book those...then you can "wing it" for the rest!

Hi there, We are travelling on Harmony of the Seas Western Caribbean in March. We have travelled with RC before, but never on a ship this size, and first time with our toddler. Also the first time with a Central Park balcony (we've always had ocean view balconies). I am feeling overwhelmed by all the things to do and planning that needs to be done in advance. Also trying to picture how we will arrange cabin with the play pen. (And where I'll be while he naps!) Any information or insight would be really appreciated. Thanks!!

We are in the exact same 'Boat' in March, also in a central park cabin. Traveling with our ,then 21 Month old son. We did cruise with him last year on carnival when he was 6 months. We figure things will be pretty much the same this time around except that he's now sleeping through the night and down to 1 nap per day.

To help you out somewhat. There is nothing to be worried about or be overwhelmed with. The pack n' play (which is what RCL provides) should easily fit in front of the couch, and it fold up easily as well when your son isnt sleeping. While he naps, just take the monitor onto the balcony with you, close the door, and have some coffee/snacks while people watching overlooking central park. Also maybe you and your significant other can take turns in the cabin.

It will be fore sure different with a baby in the room, but you will all get used to it. Just go, have a great time and any time you have free just take advantage of it. Also there is a toddler room on the ship with toys and things to play with. It is open during the day and you can take him and play with him.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I may have missed.

Thanks for your comments! We are really excited, my LO will be 3 when we travel!

You will find more information on the family boards.

Most people don't consider a three-year old a "toddler" - I would be concerned about using a pack and play - I think they have size limits; a three-year-old might be too big.

Definitely check the Family message boards if you are looking for general "kid" information as opposed to something specific to Oasis.

We cruised with my son when he was 12 months old, and on Oasis when he was 3. We used the Pack N Play on the first cruise, but 3 year olds are too big for this. I believe the height limit is 35", so unless your child is really tiny, it's not safe. If you are concerned about using the bed, you can buy some inflatable bed rails that work really well.

When our son was 3, we didn't bother taking him to the dining room for dinner, as it was just too long for him to sit. We fed him early (either room service, Windjammer, pizza, etc.), and then let him play at Adventure Ocean for a little while during our dinner. Then we hired an in-cabin babysitter so that we could go back out at night.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask!

If life in the main dining room is too high drama (varies with child's temperament, etc...), get it in your head in advance there's no shame in dinner in the Windjammer.

We did Oasis and Allure; if Harmony has the same huge unsupervised parent-young child playroom with toys & play structures, that'll be your friend.

3 Is still young enough to put in the nursery; costs are quiet modest and you can get some adult time, do a shore excursion, etc...

It will be a different kind of cruise, but it can still be a good one. Get a digital photo package and take advantage of every opportunity to get professional photography shots on your cruise. Memories matter.

Richard.

Thanks so much, He turns 3 a couple of weeks before we leave, so I still think of him as a toddler!! He is actually small for his age and still sleeps in his pack and play at Nan's, but I should check on that, as he is now just over 35". We just assumed the main dining room - I never thought of feeding him earlier and popping him in the Adventure room while we eat, that is a great idea! And I did not know there was such thing as inflatable rails, I will search for those asap. He has actually still been in his crib, but just started hopping out this week, so time to make other plans. Life was so much easier when he stayed contained while sleeping :)

Thanks so much, He turns 3 a couple of weeks before we leave, so I still think of him as a toddler!! He is actually small for his age and still sleeps in his pack and play at Nan's, but I should check on that, as he is now just over 35". We just assumed the main dining room - I never thought of feeding him earlier and popping him in the Adventure room while we eat, that is a great idea! And I did not know there was such thing as inflatable rails, I will search for those asap. He has actually still been in his crib, but just started hopping out this week, so time to make other plans. Life was so much easier when he stayed contained while sleeping :)

I just realized that you are on Harmony, and I was talking about Oasis (the ship we were on when my son just turned 3). They are similar, though.

We did not need the rail for the cruise, but this is the one we used for other travel:

http://a.co/3sLhvbD

You should be able to get just the single rail, as one side of the sofa bed will already be up against the wall. Our guy started climbing out of his crib at 22 months, so consider yourself lucky!

Funny, my son's first cruise was on Mariner in April, 2009...looks like you may have been on that same voyage!

If you'd like to connect with your fellow cruisers on the Harmony of the Seas the same week in March as you, click on the site below, find your cruise week, and join in the conversation!:cool: You'll be able to ask questions and find out a lot more info there!;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1008

We cruised on Harmony in November. I was overwhelmed in my planning for our cruise, as it was the biggest ship we had been on as well. Your evenings will be the busiest times, obviously with the shows and entertainment. We found that during the day it was more laid back and relaxing. Honestly, I was a little disappointed that they didn't have more fun and entertaining things to do during the day. We only got off in one port because we had been to all these ports many times. This was more of a ship experience for us. Feel free to check out my live review (link in my signature) and if you have any other questions I would be happy to help in any way I can.

I have taken my daughter on cruises every year since she was one. At three she no longer fit in pack and play. Daughter an I slept in lower beds pushed together, while husband slept in upper bunk. I suggest bringing some disposable sippy cups the cruise line only has glass.

We were on Independence and Oasis last year with our 3 year old. We took her to dinner all but 1 night on each of them, and the night we didn't, we ordered room service for her, and brought her to the activities she wanted to go to at Adventure ocean. In the MDR, they would bring her food quickly, and we would bring her to adventure ocean halfway through our dinner, which worked well.

On Oasis, we had a balcony room with a sofa, that ended up not being a sleeper sofa. We turned it backwards, put sheets and blankets on it, and she thought it was the coolest bed ever!

She loved the adventure ocean, and usually spent 4ish hours a day there, usually morning for a bit, and after dinner while we had grown up time. They'll give you a phone to reach you on if your little one has s hard time.

For naps, we usually would go to our room from 4ish until 6:30-7, before dinner. She naps with my husband (his favorite thing is sleeping on vacation!) while I get ready for the night. Then she was good to go until 10-11 at night!

We really think cruising is the easiest vacation with a preschooler... they love it, and it seemed like so many of the employees took the time to make it special for her too. We leave on her 4th cruise next Monday, can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums