Adventure of the seas

jwakeli

On board now, boarded yesterday, arrived at the airport at 4pm, was on the ship by 445. Very efficient port for afternoon check in.

Some quick points;

- ship looks fantastic, we've only sailed Oasis class so was expecting ship to show a little age, but overall it's in pretty great shape.

- were in a corner front of ship Oceanview (the one with two windows) and it's awesome, so much room. Mattress feels new, couch is definitely old but it's a couch and I'm in the Caribbean so I don't care lol.

- drink prices are the same as they were on my June 2016 Oasis sailing. Not seeing the increased pricing here but maybe in other bars on thr ship? I'll find out as week goes on.

- in Sint maarten now, big fire in Philipsburg, neat to see from this vantage point, but hope all is okay.

- minibar fridge was empty, must be something new they're doing.

- Internet is great, not true voom but works perfect for skype and such.

- dinner at mdr was 'okay' good quality but I didn't really like the first nights menus. But that's subjective, I'm sure others would like it.

That's all for now, the above were some things I was worried about going into the cruise, so hopefully if others had the same worries this helps :)

Anyone out there need any pics or questions answered?

Hi Josh

Curious as to your airline and if you had a direct flight or connecting and was it out of Toronto? We have Adventure booked for March 2018 but we are worried about flying in the day of the cruise.

Have a great time!

Good morning! We had a direct flight from Pearson with Air Canada. It's soooo hard finding a flight to San juan so flying in the day of was our only option. You should be fine flying in same day as long as it's a direct flight. Would recommend using the air canada 930 direct flight as its their air canada vacations flight so majority of the passengers on the flight are on your boat so they guarentee them arrival for the ship.

I was worried too but then saw flight history for that flight, it's only been delayed once in the last 2 years and it was for 20 mins.

Thank you for taking the time to post. I appreciate your quick notes. I'm on 2 consecutive cruises starting Feb.11 so I'm reading all I can about the Adventure. I tend to gravitate toward the smaller ships and haven't been on Voyager class in quite some time so I'll have a different perspective. :)

Our group is doing the mystery dinner. If there's any chance you'll be doing that as well, I'd appreciate your comments afterward.

Good morning! We had a direct flight from Pearson with Air Canada. It's soooo hard finding a flight to San juan so flying in the day of was our only option. You should be fine flying in same day as long as it's a direct flight. Would recommend using the air canada 930 direct flight as its their air canada vacations flight so majority of the passengers on the flight are on your boat so they guarentee them arrival for the ship.

I was worried too but then saw flight history for that flight, it's only been delayed once in the last 2 years and it was for 20 mins.

Thank you for the fantastic information! We will definitely look into that flight!

Have a great cruise

Serena

Thank you for the fantastic information! We will definitely look into that flight!

Have a great cruise

Serena

Hi! We're on a back to back starting Feb. 18. We are in room 1688 on the aft.

So we are in the opposite end of the ship.

Thanks for any information.

Looking forward to our first time on the Adventure.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my L9 using Tapatalk

Thanks. We are looking into the same flights as Happy cruiser1234. Hate to think how expensive that the flights will be for 4 but most of the options the day before involved layovers, 26 hour total journeys and arriving at 3:00 am in San Juan. So much for being able to use aeroplan miles for free flights.

Edit. Just check for this March (realize that it's really close) but it's $2163 per adult. Not going to happen at those prices.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

On board now, boarded yesterday, arrived at the airport at 4pm, was on the ship by 445. Very efficient port for afternoon check in.

Some quick points;

- ship looks fantastic, we've only sailed Oasis class so was expecting ship to show a little age, but overall it's in pretty great shape.

- were in a corner front of ship Oceanview (the one with two windows) and it's awesome, so much room. Mattress feels new, couch is definitely old but it's a couch and I'm in the Caribbean so I don't care lol.

- drink prices are the same as they were on my June 2016 Oasis sailing. Not seeing the increased pricing here but maybe in other bars on thr ship? I'll find out as week goes on.

- in Sint maarten now, big fire in Philipsburg, neat to see from this vantage point, but hope all is okay.

- minibar fridge was empty, must be something new they're doing.

- Internet is great, not true voom but works perfect for skype and such.

- dinner at mdr was 'okay' good quality but I didn't really like the first nights menus. But that's subjective, I'm sure others would like it.

That's all for now, the above were some things I was worried about going into the cruise, so hopefully if others had the same worries this helps :)

Anyone out there need any pics or questions answered?

We just returned home yesterday ! Had a great time. Minibars are now empty and you must ask to have something put in.

Dinner in MDR was not up to par. I agree with you food had declined in the last year. Understand they are making cutbacks where they can.

Our bed ( Room 7694 AFT Junior Suite ) was rock hard. They put two thin quilts on it, but not much help. These rooms are not part of the refurb that was done earlier. Understand they should be shortly.

Our group of 33 had a great time, because we choose to have a great time. Love the 5th floor - Promenade Deck. Great meeting place.

Staff very friendly and try their best to do what they can. Their 70's Dancing in the Street Party (although is at 10:30PM) is fabulous.

Johnny Rockets burgers are excellent.

The Windjammer has a lot of same stuff everyday----gets old---- although the burgers and nachos are quite tasty.

Pizza in Cafe Promenade is good if it is fresh. If you like Rice Krispie treats, ask for the peanut butter (they are kept to the side) they are great.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Just off Adventure yesterday. I thought the ship looked great for her age. It had been 5 years since we were on her and I really didn't see anything that looked bad. Believe our cabin -8526 - had new carpeting. The crew is amazing. Very friendly and would go out of their way to do things for you. I didn't have any problems in the MDR with the food. Everything we had was good - we understand they are feeding a lot of people and take that into consideration. Hubby is a big foodie and we do a lot of fine dining in the Philly/Atlantic City area. He seemed to enjoy everything he ate in the MDR, as did our two friends who were traveling with us. Our waiter and assistant waiter, Wilmer and Mariia, were amazing. Giovanni's was very good. As on our prior 3 RC cruises, I just couldn't get enough of those darn sourdough rolls. Thought the Cruise Director, Simona, was a lot of fun. She has a lot of energy and she and her crew were great during the 70s party.

We just returned yesterday too. We had been on the Adventure back in 2009 (I think) and were a little worried about the lack of accomplishing the renovations during dry dock. We were pleasantly surprised that the ship looked good. Here's a few of our observations:

- A lot of the chairs in the public places look to be fairly new (except around the pool and the main theater).

- Our cabin looked like it had some things replaced but not others. The curtains, bed linens, pictures and balcony furniture looked new but the carpet, couch and desk chair was old. The cabin was fine even without all the new stuff.

- They put up big screen TV's by the Schooner bar. I don't recall those being there before. For football playoffs, they came in handy. There is also a huge screen by the pool.

- The kids seemed to enjoy the new kiddie slide by the pool.

- The food was fine. The choice of food at the buffet seemed to be very similar during the cruise but we never went hungry. The menu is the same menu that we seem to see on every Royal cruise.

- They now have a sandwich station in the buffet (not sure if that is something fairly new - wasn't there on our prior cruise).

- Staff was good. We got a little annoyed by all of the announcements in both English and Spanish (loud and long).

- They seemed to get rid of some live music and have replaced it with a DJ who seemed to play the same songs over and over again. They still have some live music, but we saw quite of bit of this DJ guy.

- The bed really is pretty hard. My back was sore all week.

- Got a little annoyed when the waiters or other wait staff in the MDR and buffet tried to upsell the specialty restaurants while we were eating our meals.

- Prices for drinks are kind of high. A beer was $8.40 after tip was added. A can of pop was $3.84 after tip was added. We don't drink enough to warrant the purchase of a drink package so those individual prices were a little crazy. Brought some pop and water for the room and was able to bring it on without any problems.

- We were a little disappointed in the headliner shows. They did 2 singer/dancer production shows (which we don't care for). On the other days, the quality of performers were a little sub par. They never had a comedian as a separate show. The comedian only performed at the Welcome Aboard show, the Farewell show and the late night adult content show. We had a hypnotist, which I was a bit skeptical about. Seemed several passengers were faking it. The only other headliner show was a Motown show and they were great. We saw them before on another ship. I was hoping to have a main comedian show or a magician. Was not to be. The ice show was pretty good, although they do not hand out tickets for the show. They tell you to line up a half hour before the show. There were long lines by the door to the ice rink and during this time, they also were conducting an art auction with people sitting at chairs right in front of the ice rink doors. Poor planning there. The ice show filled up and people had trouble finding available seats.

- Chop is not open yet. Giovanni's is bigger and has a nice ambiance.

All in all we had a great trip. We went for the itinerary. Although I had some observations, they did not affect my trip in any way. As others indicated, we were a little concerned because the dry dock work was not completed. I can say that those concerns were unfounded. The ship is fantastic and in good shape.

Do you mean that flight is the Choice Air flight?

We are currently booked on the AoS out of SJ in December 2017. Trying to decide where to fly from (we live in London, Ontario). We've flown out of Buffalo in the past and had a good experience with that. Don't mind flying out of Pearson if the price is comparable. Figuring out the flights is probably the worst part of vacation planning for me.

Do you mean that flight is the Choice Air flight?

We are currently booked on the AoS out of SJ in December 2017. Trying to decide where to fly from (we live in London, Ontario). We've flown out of Buffalo in the past and had a good experience with that. Don't mind flying out of Pearson if the price is comparable. Figuring out the flights is probably the worst part of vacation planning for me.

Hey there - i would imagine it's the choice air flight. But air canada vacations uses it for their packages with the same guarentee choice air does when you book through them. We looked at Buffalo too but couldn't find any direct flights.

Have you been in the late night dancing club? I know they got rid of the actual disco (nightclub) and have heard it would be in the Viking Crown Lounge. But haven't heard first hand acknowledgement.

They used the Viking Crown lounge as the night club. They didn't allow anyone underage in there at night. The music was via DJ.