footwear for Hawaii

trish1c

We're going to Oahu / Waikiki, a city for 5 days prior to boarding POA. We have some city excursions planned including going to the Polynesian Cultural Center for a luau, the Dole Pineapple maze, touring Pearl Harbor, climbing diamond head, strolling on the beach & dining out.

On the other islands we plan to dive the road to Hana, go ziplining, hike the lava fields & take a helicopter tour.

I don't want to over pack shoes but other than sneakers don't know what would be best for these. If space was no object I'd take the following:

flip flops

black dressy sandals

sneakers

water shoes

hiking boots

casual wedge flip flops

beige wedge heels

DH would have:

sandals

sneakers

water shoes

black loafers

What do I need? We will dress for dinner, meaning I will at least have on a sundress.

Any insight would be most appreciated. thanks.

The "footing" in Hawaii isn't any different than at home. You don't need "special" shoes. Where whatever you like! I wear flip-flops all summer long..with the odd pair of dressier flip-flops ...no worries! You really don't need "walking shoes" or "hiking boots" unless you are planning to scale a dormant volcano.

I would suggest some walking sandals - a dressier style like Dansko you could wear to dinner.

My favorites are Teva Kayenta which can also get wet. Some prefer Teva Tirra - just a preference on straps and where they hit.

Not sure you would need hiking and sneakers and water shoes

I love Hawaii - sounds like a great trip - have fun!

I'd go with sneakers, water shoes, a pr. of casual good walking sandals, the black dressy sandals, and flip flops. You can use the flip flops as bedroom slippers and the sneakers for hiking.

We did the POA cruise and had a great time. I really liked the ship and the crew/staff were fabulous. That was several years ago. I hope you have an awesome cruise!:D

Edited by mousey

I climbed Diamond Head last April. It's an urban, mostly paved trail. I wore my Tevas. You do need water shoes for Oahu, the coral & stone beaches aren't kind to the feet (Tevas worked there too)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Okay I always aim for no more than 4 pairs but end up with 5 most of the time. It’s hard to decide what to bring as your doing so many activities where as at home its usually work home maybe dinner on weekend.

Going over my photos from Hawaii I brought 4 pairs.

Nike Sneakers- Wore hiking diamond head. Walking around Haleakala crater. Maui excursion to some national parka and aquarium. Some excursion on Big island which was described as a hike but wasn’t really but did take us into a lava tube. Horse riding on Kauai

Black open toed flats- For dinner ever night

Gold flat sandals – Dinner at night but also casual during day

Flip flops/thongs- days at the beach, during the day, on our snorkelling excursions on big island .

Its important to have good quality shoes that are comfortable. In recent years I have come up with and almost starting base for my shoes. I start with these and then see about adding others depending on activity or clothing option

Converse sneakers

In either grey to suit most anything ( alt option green chequered depending on my outfits)

Birkenstocks or Havaianas or both

Birks in gloss white (alt option brown with white leaves)

Havis in blue (I wear alot of blue but do have pink, green, purple or grey ones)

Naturalizer Flats

Gold with gold emblem

All are comfortable and neutral to go with most things

Your list

1 -flip flops, water shoes . Do you need both? I've never really used water shoes as I haven’t found the need. I wear flip flops on the beach if its gravely and then snorkel with fins

2 -black dressy sandals a must for dinner

3- sneakers, hiking boots. Again do you need both.a re you doing any hard core hiking or have feet or ankle issues where hiking boots are a must.

4- casual wedge flip flops, beige wedge heels. Again do you need both? Could you find something in between. Or choose between the beige wedge heels and the black dressy sandals?

That would bring it from 7 to 4.

Hope this helps

Are sneakers really going to be OK for hiking the lava fields?

Athletic shoes are fine if they have a substantial sole. The lava is deceptively sharp and will cut up the thin soles on cutesy sneakers. The sandals like the Tevas by the PP are good if you have to wear sandals - they have a good, durable sole.

Now, if you are actually hiking on trails made from ground lava, you'll be OK. But, even those ground up lava trails have some sharp pieces...

I loved Hawaii and I love shoes. That being said, the only shoes I wore during the entire two weeks I was there was flip flops, flat brown slip-on strappy sandals, and adidas water/land shoes for walking. When I went to the Polynesian Center for the luau, I wore a long strapless Hawaiian dress with my flat strappy sandals. The whole island is so casual, I never once saw anyone in heels, personally. I think I even brought a pair of espadrilles wedges and never ended up wearing them. Wear whatever makes you feel good and whatever is comfortable. Have fun!

• 1 month later...