The view from the Summit, a 5 day Bahamas review.

h20skibum

DISEMBARKATION

a66952d6c7d0a7ca587cbb8947a07d54.jpg

I rated this as 6/10. Disembarkation was somewhat disorganized. We were in a middle group time, and the stairwells were packed from deck 5 down to deck 1 where you exited. After leaving the ship, you walked outside and entered what could be likened to an old warehouse to pick up your bags and go through customs.

d36a31973f10b617476a5e24b6e9a64d.jpg

They split everyone in to two lines on entering the baggage area, then merged the lines again which didn't make much sense. Once you found your bags, they then funneled people from an area about 30 people wide down to two before getting to customs. At least the customs people moved us through fast, after we finally got to them. We just thought they could have organized the departure process better. It was surprising how cranky people got after just getting off the cruise. Maybe it was a way to welcome everyone back to reality.

Next - Final Thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Forums

FINAL THOUGHTS

7371f1c7454ca8c49e632102954d389f.jpg

So after averaging all my ratings for the cruise, I end up with 70%. With 50% on my rating scale being average, and 90% being the best I would rate, this cruise ranks halfway between.

I liked everything being included for this cruise. Although the premium drink package was included with our deal, I do not think I would choose it if we had to make a choice. It was nice to order a drink and not have to worry about charges. Neither DW nor I are big drinkers, but having the package, you have a tendency to consume more calories than you normally would. What!!! Drinks have calories? Doing this too often, and we would probably be spending our time with Bill W's friends.

I liked the prepaid tips being included, and the internet, but I hear the price of the internet is going up. I know, some say you need to disconnect on a cruise, but sometimes you need to be able to keep in touch with family back home. I also liked the generous OBC for the short cruise, but we had to work to spend it.

I didn't like the decline in food quality, but this seems to be a problem with all lines. What a difference a year makes, but different lines.

4e61ae01264d79c6cb20d540f5c20ff7.jpg

vs.

e745fe734096f91c9d3230b0a2b8687e.jpg

I missed the entertaining waiters, because we saw nothing like this on this cruise.

b2e4b68f00d677df2350d04e2536a225.jpg

And I missed these guys in the cabin each night. Maybe they don't do them here anymore, but we always looked forward to what animal would be in our cabin each night on our prior cruises.

1f7e82c9f25cf8076dae7ce39a8dcbd1.jpg

Next - Final Final Thoughts

Excellent review and pics, thank you! I am really surprised to see that you actually encountered a Top Chef menu as we never had a single one on our recent TA on Silhouette. Especially loved all your Key West pics...just love that place!

We really love Key West too. That was the main reason for choosing this cruise, because not many stop there.

We were not overly impressed with the Top Chef offerings, but others may like what they had to offer.

I think your review is the best I've seen. The pictures were great and the narrative clearly presented the positives and could be betters. Thank you!

We'll be on the Summit May 7th for a 7 day Bermuda cruise.

I'm psyched!

Thanks for reading. I hope you found something helpful, but if there is anything else you need to know, I would be happy to try to answer.

Enjoy your cruise. It is better than working.

FINAL FINAL THOUGHTS

One of our roll call members was asking for a comparison with Princess after we completed this cruise, since this was our first time with Celebrity. Because our last Princess cruise was a couple years ago, I thought I would wait until we complete our upcoming cruise in a couple of months. That way, I can see if their quality has gone down, and since these cruises are close together, it may be a fairer comparison. Plus, both ships are similar in size and age.

Would we book Celebrity again. Yes, but I would like to try one of their larger ships. It may be a couple of years before we are back onboard one of theirs. We are looking at several options for the next cruise after Hawaii. It may be the Anthem, the Adventure out of San Juan, the Harmony, or Allure again, or maybe the new Symphony when booking opens next month. I definitely like the diverse activities on those ships.

So, till next time, here is wishing everyone blue skies and clear sailing.

6d277a2df00aec796cc836e8a9db9848.jpg

DISEMBARKATION

a66952d6c7d0a7ca587cbb8947a07d54.jpg

I rated this as 6/10. Disembarkation was somewhat disorganized. We were in a middle group time, and the stairwells were packed from deck 5 down to deck 1 where you exited. After leaving the ship, you walked outside and entered what could be likened to an old warehouse to pick up your bags and go through customs.

d36a31973f10b617476a5e24b6e9a64d.jpg

They split everyone in to two lines on entering the baggage area, then merged the lines again which didn't make much sense. Once you found your bags, they then funneled people from an area about 30 people wide down to two before getting to customs. At least the customs people moved us through fast, after we finally got to them. We just thought they could have organized the departure process better. It was surprising how cranky people got after just getting off the cruise. Maybe it was a way to welcome everyone back to reality.

Next - Final Thoughts

Thanks so much for your complete review, really gave me so much information and answered many questions...One last one, you were in a middle group...What time were you through customs ? Did you pre-book transportation to the airport or something else?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for your complete review, really gave me so much information and answered many questions...One last one, you were in a middle group...What time were you through customs ? Did you pre-book transportation to the airport or something else?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

From the time we left the ship, until we made it through customs was probably 45 minutes. They had to hold the line for a while because of the crowds retrieving their bags. After we got our bags, it was everyone for themselves to get down to a two-wide line to go through customs.

At FLL, we always just get a cab to the airport. This seems to be the quickest way, and it is not very expensive. It is usually around $20 including tip.

POOLS & FITNESS

dd30784366a94b9004faf4075a5f7c7c.jpg

The thalassotherapy pool was great. It was always very warm and never crowded.

Next - Entertainment

Thanks so much for the review. After multiple sails on the S class we were thinking of going back to the M class. One of the reasons is the thalassotherapy pool. Big miss not putting on the S class ships.

But my question is, were they ever turned on? You posted two pics in the review and both times the pools were not on. If they are now just a warm pool then it's not worth it.

Thanks again, loved the review.

Thanks so much for the review. After multiple sails on the S class we were thinking of going back to the M class. One of the reasons is the thalassotherapy pool. Big miss not putting on the S class ships.

But my question is, were they ever turned on? You posted two pics in the review and both times the pools were not on. If they are now just a warm pool then it's not worth it.

Thanks again, loved the review.

Yes, they were turned on most of the time. The couple photos I posted were taken not long after we boarded the ship. I have a few other photos I took of us in the pool (testing out a waterproof case for the iPhone), but those were also taken early. We were the only ones in then, and they hadn't turned it on yet. Probably because it was around noon on embarkation day.

Thanks for the review and for so many excellent photos. I haven't been on the Summit or any of the M Class ships but have sailed on the S Class and they have the "Wow!" factor in spades.

I hope you consider one for your next X cruise.

Norris

Thanks for the review. We first cruise Celebrity about 20 years ago, and have been on their ships at least 10 times. I think certain things about cruises in general have really gone downhill in those 20 years, food probably being the area where the biggest decline has been in our opinion. The cruise we will be on is a theme cruise charter, so unfortunately we will not get any of the Captain's Club perks we would otherwise get. Thank you so much for posting the dining room menus, I think they will be fine for our group. Since the couvert on the specialty restaurants has gone up to, I believe, $45, it is just not worth it. Their food isn't that great. It used to be that because we were from NY we could always get great food, but there is such great dining all over the country now, I don't think anyone has to go on a cruise to get dining that is better than they can find at home. We also don't have to worry about the entertainment, but I agree that Celebrity does not have the best entertainment. Although we have only been on one Princess cruise, I felt the variety there to be excellent. Also, NCL used to have excellent entertainment, not sure if they recently switched the person they used to provide entertainment. Celebrity was always lacking there. I am surprised though about the lack of service in the bar areas. Could be that when they offer everyone the classic drink packages, they cut corners by cutting staff, figuring some people don't want to wait. We don't have that either. Glad you enjoyed your Celebrity experience though.

Thanks for the review. We first cruise Celebrity about 20 years ago, and have been on their ships at least 10 times. I think certain things about cruises in general have really gone downhill in those 20 years, food probably being the area where the biggest decline has been in our opinion. The cruise we will be on is a theme cruise charter, so unfortunately we will not get any of the Captain's Club perks we would otherwise get. Thank you so much for posting the dining room menus, I think they will be fine for our group. Since the couvert on the specialty restaurants has gone up to, I believe, $45, it is just not worth it. Their food isn't that great. It used to be that because we were from NY we could always get great food, but there is such great dining all over the country now, I don't think anyone has to go on a cruise to get dining that is better than they can find at home. We also don't have to worry about the entertainment, but I agree that Celebrity does not have the best entertainment. Although we have only been on one Princess cruise, I felt the variety there to be excellent. Also, NCL used to have excellent entertainment, not sure if they recently switched the person they used to provide entertainment. Celebrity was always lacking there. I am surprised though about the lack of service in the bar areas. Could be that when they offer everyone the classic drink packages, they cut corners by cutting staff, figuring some people don't want to wait. We don't have that either. Glad you enjoyed your Celebrity experience though.

I think the poor bar service is a general theme for most cruise lines now that they have gone to the various beverage packages. No incentive to provide better service since the tips are included, and the fewer drinks they serve, the more profit for the line.

I think the best entertainment we have seen at sea has been on the Oasis class ships of RCI. Of course, the drawback is you have to book all those shows due to the size of the ships.

When we did our first cruise 37 years ago (oh my), we had name entertainers onboard without them being charter theme cruises. I guess if I can still do this, I will never feel old.

013a2c3bd1666ff6ca77619634c021fb.jpg

Again I am another person thanking you for this review. I like your writing style. We have been on the Summit a couple of times, mostly out of San Juan. I love this ship but it's getting old like the other M class ships. I thought your rating was quite fair. The bottom line is that you prefer more activities than are offered on an M class ship. I liked all the classes, but never got a chance to go on the Galaxy or the Mercury just the Century.

I also agree that the food options have slid down a bit in the last 15 years. Costs are up, so IF you don't increase the price enough something has to slide.

Again loved your review!!

I think the poor bar service is a general theme for most cruise lines now that they have gone to the various beverage packages. No incentive to provide better service since the tips are included, and the fewer drinks they serve, the more profit for the line.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.