Carnival Splendor coming downunder

It's not certain based on the information so far.

However, Golden is an older, smaller ship than Splendor so my guess is that they view Splendor as adding too much capacity to the P&O brand, and I can see that as a definite risk. Golden is still larger than any they have, but at least it's not such a massive increase in a single ship.

That said it could be other things too such as fleet sizing at Princess, or Carnival, or a combination of any of the above. They haven't said yet what they plan to do with Splendor as a result of this, which would give some insight.

I was wondering whether it was because Carnival was planning two cruise lines in Australia - a budget line (P&O) and a mid market line (Carnival). If not, I can't understand why they would run two Carnival cruise lines in Australia.

When I consider Royal Caribbean, I clearly understand the difference between Royal Caribbean ships, Celebrity and Azamara. I don't seem to be able to do that with P&O Australia and Carnival Australia. Where do the Princess ships which cruise in Australia fit?

Edited by MMDown Under

I noticed a few weeks ago that the bookings for Station Pier Port Melbourne in 2019/20 had Ruby Princess listed all season. This announcement may explain it. Replacement for Golden? Sydney to have the Majestic?

Interesting times ahead. Really don't care what ships they send - just keep some of them home porting Melb. You Sydneyites have plenty to choose from. :D

Can anyone explain to me why Splendour will stay with Carnival and Golden Princess will go to P&O. Aren't they all owned by Carnival?

Carnival Corp owns many cruise lines, with Princess, P&O Australia and Carnival among them, it is basically a reshuffle of ships among the various companies under the Carnival corp umbrella

Carnival Corp owns many cruise lines, with Princess, P&O Australia and Carnival among them, it is basically a reshuffle of ships among the various companies under the Carnival corp umbrella

Yes, I know that. I guess I can't understand what Carnival Corp gains from having the three cruise lines in Australia. I don't think they market them well.

Yes, I know that. I guess I can't understand what Carnival Corp gains from having the three cruise lines in Australia. I don't think they market them well.

Rightio, I suppose Carnival are catering to the families, P&O are catering to the younger adults and Princess is catering to the older crowd.

They also have HAL here, plus less frequently P&O UK, Cunard and Seabourn, so 7 brands here.

As for Carnival and P&O there is a distinction. Carnival here is more mid-range, closer to RCL. Whereas P&O is their entry level for younger and party types (RCL don't have an equivalent as they offer fewer brands).

P&O here also has many long time followers due to the length of the brand, so if they got rid of it it would annoy a number and encourage them elsewhere. Thus, they all have a role. :)

Carnival ; are certainly filling them over winter; with the P&O ships & The Carnival Spirit full, Went on my first winters cruise last month to Fuji & the islands. Weather was fine, only cold on First & Last days. After 120 days sailing during Spring & Autumn, i'll do another next winter.

Carnival are supporting new terminal at Bris-Vegas for both there P&O & Carnival ships.. That's another reason for a new ship..