Carnival Splendor coming downunder

I think it will be a great addition....but...

I cannot understand

Why is it going to P&O Australia ?. :confused::confused:

Agreed. With Carnival based here themselves, it seems weird it's not just coming here as another Carnival ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To replace the new build they were supposed to get.:(

To soften the blow. It sounds bad to be getting a new build - then get nothing at all.

Plus I suspect we'll be due another replacement by then anyway. And for many it's a 'new' ship anyway...

I think it only had that one major issue though? Not great for those on it, but it was due to a fire (which obviously doesn't happen often, and meant to be resolved now anyway).

I don't think the ship has ongoing issues - and for that note, Radiance which has been popular had so many ongoing issues, for so long with plumbing, yet people still like her.

• 3 weeks later...
P&O will still have a new ship, it is just a hand me down one.:(

A 2007 ship is fairly new in Australia, especially for P&O. However it still isn't a brand new shiny ship and I wouldn't personally say it's 'new', just redecorated.

At least RCI sent the Ovation over for a few months. I hope Carnival offer something newer too. NCL's offering haven't been very impressive so far either.

A 2007 ship is fairly new in Australia, especially for P&O. However it still isn't a brand new shiny ship and I wouldn't personally say it's 'new', just redecorated.

At least RCI sent the Ovation over for a few months. I hope Carnival offer something newer too. NCL's offering haven't been very impressive so far either.

The problem is that Aussies want new or newer ships to be here all year round but most of the new ships are too large to utilise the majority of the ports in Australia, NZ and the south pacific islands. Then people complain that the new ships are too big and have limited itineraries and the new small ships tend to be luxury lines and therefore too expensive. P&O's new build was going to deliver a new ship with a moderate capacity, larger than their current ships but could still utilise most ports. Then that plan was changed.:(

Just noticed a booking in the Sydney Ports schedule for a " Pacific Splendour":')

Looks like they are sticking with the name......November 2nd 2019 looks to be the first date it is scheduled in.

Glad they used the Queens English and put the u in Splendour.:hearteyes:

Nice name 'Pacific Splendour.'

Glad they used the Queens English and put the u in Splendour.:hearteyes:

Nice name 'Pacific Splendour.'

My mistake Les, they spelt it Splendor.......thats my Queens English there;)

Just did my family tree, yep, proper English with convict 3rd Great Grandfather, shipped to Tassie, did 10 years for stealing from the Parson:o

Captain on Pacific Jewel in January told us that the new build is to be sent elsewhere because she was too big for us. He seemed more disappointed than us. Guess maybe he wanted to captain her since he is going to captain the Pacific Explorer when she comes.

Was quite amused when he found out that we all knew about the Carnival Splendour. Thanks to CC we were more up to date than he thought. Quite funny. :D

Just did my family tree, yep, proper English with convict 3rd Great Grandfather, shipped to Tassie, did 10 years for stealing from the Parson:o

Hope it wasn't the parson's nose !:loudcry: That would have been a bum rap.:p

Captain on Pacific Jewel in January told us that the new build is to be sent elsewhere because she was too big for us. He seemed more disappointed than us. Guess maybe he wanted to captain her since he is going to captain the Pacific Explorer when she comes.

Was quite amused when he found out that we all knew about the Carnival Splendour. Thanks to CC we were more up to date than he thought. Quite funny. :D

LOL, CC has many uses, most of information on the various ships.

Aaaaagh not 'Splendor.' Chez...have you tried ye English olde pork pie? You can buy them here in Coles/Woolies, but for the real Mcoy head over to UK. Maybe your Pom relo knocked off the Parson's pork pie then? (FYI - but you probably know, Parson is a religious Minister, Church of England flavour, note the u.:evilsmile:

Rule Britannia, Charlie for King and Pauline H for PM.:halo:

(FYI - but you probably know, Parson is a religious Minister, Church of England flavour, note the u.:evilsmile:

Rule Britannia, Charlie for King and Pauline H for PM.:halo:

Yes, I did know that Les, and funnily I was christened Church of England:o

• 6 months later...

hmmm heard a rumour last week, maybe it's old news, but was new to me...

Carnival Splendor unlikely to be passed onto P&O Australia afterall.. Not sure if P&O will even get any other hand me down at all anytime soon.

Instead, Carnival Splendor will most likely stay as the Carnival Splendor or maybe Splendour and join Carnival Australia to continue to grow the brand locally. Carnival Australia are pushing ahead on their part with trying to get the planned new Brisbane Terminal built by 2019/20. Then one of the three Carnival Australia ships will be based in Brisbane preferably year round but that is still yet to be determined.

I for one would be happy to see this as it would be another great ship to be based in Oz. I have always enjoyed Carnival cruises including one on the Splendor a few years back. It's bigger and has a few more nice bells and whistles than the spirit/legend.

hmmm heard a rumour last week, maybe it's old news, but was new to me...

Carnival Splendor unlikely to be passed onto P&O Australia afterall.. Not sure if P&O will even get any other hand me down at all anytime soon.

Instead, Carnival Splendor will most likely stay as the Carnival Splendor or maybe Splendour and join Carnival Australia to continue to grow the brand locally. Carnival Australia are pushing ahead on their part with trying to get the planned new Brisbane Terminal built by 2019/20. Then one of the three Carnival Australia ships will be based in Brisbane preferably year round but that is still yet to be determined.

I for one would be happy to see this as it would be another great ship to be based in Oz. I have always enjoyed Carnival cruises including one on the Splendor a few years back. It's bigger and has a few more nice bells and whistles than the spirit/legend.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17855-golden-princess-to-transfer-to-p-o-australia-splendor-staying-with-carnival.html

Cool, thanks for the link. I knew the splendour was staying with carnival but didn't know about the Golden princess going to P&O. That will be a good ship for P&O

Can anyone explain to me why Splendour will stay with Carnival and Golden Princess will go to P&O. Aren't they all owned by Carnival?

Can anyone explain to me why Splendour will stay with Carnival and Golden Princess will go to P&O. Aren't they all owned by Carnival?

It's not certain based on the information so far.

However, Golden is an older, smaller ship than Splendor so my guess is that they view Splendor as adding too much capacity to the P&O brand, and I can see that as a definite risk. Golden is still larger than any they have, but at least it's not such a massive increase in a single ship.

That said it could be other things too such as fleet sizing at Princess, or Carnival, or a combination of any of the above. They haven't said yet what they plan to do with Splendor as a result of this, which would give some insight.