Iphone

QuickieGlenn

The iConceirge app won't do that. You'll need a plan from your provider and you will connect to the ship's cell tower.

Start with your providers website for more info...

For example, here is some info for Verizon...

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

Edited by triptolemus

The iConceirge app won't do that. You'll need a plan from your provider and you will connect to the ship's cell tower.

Start with your providers website for more info...

For example, here is some info for Verizon...

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

Page 4 of the guide on the IConcierge app, I posted below describes how to make off ship calls using the app for a low rate (much lower than through your cell phone provider)

You probably paid for international roaming, or it's included in your service package.

OP should check with their provider for details. It's really that simple.

No. We didn't. The Dawn's wifi package allowed for the sending and receiving of imessages between iphones only on the ship and back home for zero cost with no packages. The cruise help desk told us about it. It only worked for those that had imessaging. To talk, a package is needed, if its available. AT&T didn't offer one that was available on the cruise. Only when we were in ports.

Page 4 of the guide on the IConcierge app, I posted below describes how to make off ship calls using the app for a low rate (much lower than through your cell phone provider)

Yes, the app also allowed it but there were per minute costs for voice calls.

We just came back from a cruise on the Epic and iMessage worked throughout the voyage. We were able to text each other on the ship and to our families back home. This was possible without any package. However you can not use iMessage to send pictures. You would need a internet package to be able to do that. Before we discovered that we bought the iconcierge package for two phones for 9.99 each which also enabled texting and voice calling between the two phones. However if you have iPhones, using iMessage is more than enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is good information as we have never used our phones on the ship. this upcoming cruise we will be traveling with others and we were trying to figure out how we were going to keep in touch on ship. Thank you

I was able to send/receive texts through IMessage on my phone with absolutely no cost on both Breakaway and Dawn last year. I have Sprint so i'm not sure why it didn't cost any $$$ because I wasn't using the wifi I was just able to text directly through my phone. I would check with your carrier.

So let me understand.. Using Iconcierge to text other iconcierge users on the ship is free or does it use my wifi minutes?

For $10 per phone, you can text and call other phones in the ship. Not off the ship.

If iMessage is working without an internet package, it's a glitch that will probably be corrected.

With an internet package you can iMessage home to other iPhone users. (Blue not green text messages). You can also usually FaceTime voice reliably. Or skype voice to non iPhones.

For $10 per phone, you can text and call other phones in the ship. Not off the ship.

If iMessage is working without an internet package, it's a glitch that will probably be corrected.

With an internet package you can iMessage home to other iPhone users. (Blue not green text messages). You can also usually FaceTime voice reliably. Or skype voice to non iPhones.

As several posters stated imessage works and has worked for the cruise we took in December of 2015 and December of 2016 for messages only, not pictures, for no cost. The cruise line help desk directed us that it did and we would not incur any charges that way.

Technically yes but so does iconcierge even if your just using it to schedule dinner check on board account etc which has no cost. There is a technical glitch that allows iMessages to work in this status. How long it will take before they realize this and make a patch who knows, but as of right now if you set up the app and connect to the ships wifi only for app use which is free (no messaging or calls from the app) you can iMessage until they come out with a fix.

I just used the iconcierge on my last cruise and it was great. You can stay in airplane mode or have your cellular data off so u don't rack up charges. You turn wifi on and connect to the ships wifi (no charge for this), you register your phone in the app (no charge for this), you can then review your bill and make dinner reservations all at no charge. If you want to text or call other people ON THE SHIP you can choose an option to do that in the app for a flat fee $9.99 per phone for the entire cruise. [edit, we never tried texting anyone not on the ship, others have said u can, I didn't try, but I def couldn't use straight imessaging like I normally would]

If you want to get on the internet, once you are connected to the wifi, go to your internet browser and it will send you to the page where you can pick a plan or agree to get charged by the minute.

Edited by sanger727

Glad I came across this post. I hope I'm understanding this correctly but.... Once I download the iConcierge app (at no charge) I can text other family members ON THE SHIP (that have iConcierge also) at no charge? If I wanted to skype or use FB messenger then I would need an internet package?

Thanks

Mina:D

I am technology challenged so bear with me. I want to take my phone off the ship so I can use the camera. Leaving the ship will I need to turn the wifi off? I know it will be in airplane mode but onboard the wifi will be on....:o

Glad I came across this post. I hope I'm understanding this correctly but.... Once I download the iConcierge app (at no charge) I can text other family members ON THE SHIP (that have iConcierge also) at no charge? If I wanted to skype or use FB messenger then I would need an internet package?

Thanks

Mina:D

The first part is not correct.

You will need to pay the one time fee for each phone in order to use the on board texting and on board calling through the app.