Celebrity First Time Questions

kdogfister

I recognize a lot of this is subjective, just looking for some validation.

Looking at a summer 2018 Caribbean itinerary and wondering if the Sky Suite (probably S2) will be worth the $2K premium. Extra amenities seem decent for the cost and my wife and I are celebrating our 10-year anniversary so looking to spend a bit more and the suite is right in line with the budget.

A few specifics some of you veteran celebrity cruisers may have quick answers too;

1. Looking to book but may change our minds when DCL/RCL itineraries come out (hoping for a 7 day southern). Is the deposit fully refundable up to the first date listed?

2. We're mid-30's will we be the youngest on the boat on a mid-summer cruise?

3. Looking for a little more calm and relaxing as opposed to party atmosphere, Celebrity is the place for us correct?

4. Any reason not to book with a TA and get the extra onboard credit?

5. Things we should be looking out for with Celebrity, and specifically the Suite class?

I'll be reading up over the next few weeks, but hoping I could get some general direction from the experts we look to get booked.

If you can afford a suite, then go for it! Some people will book Aqua Class or Concierge and then buy a Specialty Dining Package. These dining alternatives are real special.

There will be some families on board during the summer. However, with the normal Celebrity cruisers, you will be among the youngest.

If you are looking for a relaxing and quiet cruise, you have made a good choice.

If you are going as a couple, I am not sure if DCL would be appropriate. RCL is a good compromise choice.

The deposits are refundable but you need to follow the date listed in the reservation.

I definitely recommend Celebrity since the Sky Suite fits your budget. Luminae restaurant is so much better than the MDR food on any mass-market cruise line [and you can also order items from that night's MDR menu]. Michael's Club is a quiet classy suites-only lounge with a dedicated Concierge, free drinks all day, and music many evenings. The butler is a really nice perk too. If your cruise is on Eclipse, Equinox or Solstice, the Hot Glass Show is not to be missed [we didn't know what to expect but got hooked and attended several of the shows plus the final charity auction -- unique and wonderful!]

We started sailing Celebrity in our mid 30s...we are now 40...have been on 2 ships with our 3rd coming up in April...love Celebrity. ...why??.....

*Service, food, elegant atmosphere, very relaxing. ...although we like to drink and always get the Premium BEV pkg! , pool is relaxing, crowd is mature yet some younger couples...don't hv to deal with obnoxious, unruly, passengers who cant handle their booze...lol!

Anyway.....we love Celebrity. Have been on Summit to Bermuda and Silhouette on a Mediterranean cruise out of Venice. Going in Equinox in April in Eastern 10 night carribean and can't wait!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

As to booking, I've used pretty much all the options: self-booking on Celebrity website; through a Celebrity agent via phone; while on a Celebrity cruise; through a on-line TA; through a discount website; local brick-mortar TA. Did I cover all of them?

TA: I've used TA's many times recently. For my upcoming, I booked while on cruise through Celebrity and moved it over to a TA. The biggest plus for me using a TA is of course the extra on-board credit I get, the discount on SR if the TA has a group pricing, and the assistance I get if there are issues while on cruise. I don't need TA assistance finding a cruise. I find what I want and then go to one. Our travel mates had medical issues and the TA was a great help, setting up travel and coordinating for them. The only negative is if you are big on keeping an eye out for a change in SR's or a change in SR pricing (prior to final payment!). I watch a site that lists open SRs and watch the Celebrity site for drops in cost. There are websites that will track your reservation and tell you if there is a price change too. It can take a bit of time to get the TA to move for you, and can miss out. Not a biggie, but can matter some.

Self: Use to do my own all the time. Let me have more flexibility in getting SRs and jump on price changes, an I can go directly to Celebrity for assistance when needed. they will tell you to use your TA if you've gone with one.

Celebrity: Much like a TA except no extra credit unless its part of the initial deal. They are always available and easy to use. If book while on a cruise, you get onboard credit. Watch out, if you own 100 shares of RCL stock, you can get onboard credit for that, but if you book directly and get a Celebrity credit, you can't get both in most cases.

Brick/Motar TA: I was the type who always used local businesses whenever possible, but had a bad experience with a local TA. But that was just one case. The positive is pretty much the same as using a major 800/online TA, but may not be available all the time. Very handy and the best way to go (my opinion) for getting assistance in finding a cruse and a cruise line that meets what you want. Since I don't use TA's to find a cruise/cruise line, I've quit using them, but they give probably the best personal service.

In many cases, TA's can get you discount pricing of the SR better than directly with that Line. But Celebrity doesn't go that route of giving TA's discounts in my experience - someone more knowledgeable can/will correct me. What I see is the same SR price on discount websites as I see with Celebrity. With that said, TA's reserve a number of SRs and get group discounts with Celebrity and do have lower costs in those cases. So you can beat the price listed by Celebrity via a TA who purchased a group of SRs.

Website: Lots of them and very handy but tough to make any changes through them and watch out for hidden costs. One of the sites woudn't give back the deposit if cancel at any time. I didn't check and just 'assumed' and got burned. The cruise line gave back the deposit, not the booker. Although they seem very handy and nice pricing, I don't use them because of non-service and hidden issues. there are many better ways in my opinon. If you know exactly what you want and won't make changes, then they may work OK for you.

Example of online websites: you are booking with the website company, NOT the company you are rushing/flying/hotel with. I used a hotel/B&B website and if you have issues after getting there, you are stuck. I used an online hotel site for Istanbul and the hotel was a real bummer. I'm not the type who requires a US-type hotel but this was bad. I couldn't cnx and go to another without loosing what I paid. So be very careful, it is very much the Buyer Beware.

Others will disagree or have a better perspective. this is my subjective option and experience.

Den

My husband and I believe the extra amenities included with a Sky Suite make it worth what we have had to pay (at least so far). We enjoy the extra space in the cabin, the slightly larger bathroom, Luminae and Michaels Club. Other than delivering our room service breakfast most mornings, we have not utilized our butler. The concierge in Michaels Club has been most helpful with anything we needed (new room cards, dinner reservations, appointment with Future Cruises so we didn't have to wait in line, changing larger bills to smaller ones when needed for end of cruise tips, etc. I think you will really like the Sky Suite, especially for an anniversary trip.

We have also been in Aqua class several times and would not hesitate to book these cabins again as we enjoy Blu.

We have booked both directly and with a TA (not online). We did not receive any extra onboard credit however when the price dropped twice prior to final payment it was very simple to shoot him an email and he was able to get us the lower price each time. Another time I noticed that similar cabins were being offered all four perks when we were only getting two and after a quick phone call he was able to get all four included. When we were unable to get through to Celebrity directly to book Alcoves prior to a cruise he was quickly able to have this done. So there are benefits other than onboard credit to booking with a good TA.

You may be younger than the median age, but there is plenty to do and the vibe is definitely not sedate like you might find on some other "higher end" cruise lines. Even on summer cruises there have been few children (not that it would have bothered us at all) but we have not done Caribbean cruises in the summer either. We would loved to have been on a Celebrity ship when we were a little younger!

Many thanks all! In the process of getting a few quotes from various agents and looking forward to getting booked soon.

Any advice on which deck to book? I'm thinking deck 9 (between decks of rooms so less noise) in the S2 based on reviews, but wonder if anyone has thoughts.