Photography during shows

The-Inside-Cabin

Most cruise lines, including HAL, have prohibited video recording of shows. Still photography was always OK as long as the flash was off. I read that on Bill and Mary Ann's blog that they have prohibited any photography during shows on the Amsterdam.

Report # 32

When we got back to our room, we found a letter that went over the “no” photography or video-taking at the evening shows. It seems that there have been numerous complaints about people using their cameras, phones, and tablets to take forbidden photos. Yes, we agree, as it is distracting to the folks sitting behind these people. A warning was given that the staff will ask those who do not comply to cease doing it, or otherwise, be invited out of the lounge. We did see this happen while on the Disney cruise a few years ago. Oh well, rules are rules.

Is this something new fleet wide or only on the Amsterdam.

Thanks

There will always be folks who think the regulations are for "other people." I can understand the photo prohibition. It is very distracting when 200 people in front of you have their bright screens glowing ... right in your field of view.

There will always be folks who think the regulations are for "other people." I can understand the photo prohibition. It is very distracting when 200 people in front of you have their bright screens glowing ... right in your field of view.

They have no clue how annoying that is. "Of course it's OK for me to hold up my great big tablet right in front of your view! I want a picture so I can remember what I saw. It doesn't matter that YOU couldn't see, only that I could!!!!!"

The glowing devices are annoying to performers, too. A few years ago, I went to a panel discussion of Broadway actresses. At some point, a question was asked about audiences and how their response (how long they laugh, etc) affects the performance. And then cell phones were mentioned. Holland Taylor, in that disdainful but elegant way she has, said "We can see them, you know." Fortunately, nobody in that audience was texting!

HAL may not be enforcing, but ushers in Broadway theaters are quick to scold people. I've seen them threaten to take away someone's camera.

The last 2 weddings I have attended have been "unplugged" weddings: No cellphones or cameras allowed. It was so much more "civilized". One of the brides designated 6 photographers (all with DSLRs) and provided us with cards we returned to her.

And when you are the person shooting you end up with a bunch of people in front of you, standing, with their glowing tablet screen held up high over their head. It makes for really bad pictures.

I frequently shoot for a group I belong to and am getting increasingly annoyed with people who butt in front with their tablet or phone.

Cooper - can you clarify - is it cameras with glowing screens that are banned - or any camera - still or video?

When did this change? No mention of this ban during 2016 world or on Zuiderdam in October

In my experience; it's only been against recording devices and flash photography. The recording of shows is a copyright infringement and the flashes obviously can distract the performers. However, despite the announcement, some fine folks still feel the urge to do it.

This must be a new thing, possibly having to do with the still new production companies (Belinda King London and RWS New York) that are taking over the shows from Stiletto L.A., but that's just speculation on my part

Just off back-to-back cruises, including Antarctica on the Zaandam and Caribbean on the Celebrity Silhouette. Guests on the Silhouette were encouraged to photograph and video the shows and to post on social media. The Celebrity audience was courteous and there were no problems. Coincidentally, HAL and Celebrity have similar Frankie Valli shows.

Just off back-to-back cruises, including Antarctica on the Zaandam and Caribbean on the Celebrity Silhouette. Guests on the Silhouette were encouraged to photograph and video the shows and to post on social media. The Celebrity audience was courteous and there were no problems. Coincidentally, HAL and Celebrity have similar Frankie Valli shows.

What policy did they announce on the Zaandam? No flash? No video? No photos period?

• 3 weeks later...
I believe the policy on the Zaandam was no flash or video for the shows. I believe no photography at all was permitted during presentations by the naturalists. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most cruise lines, including HAL, have prohibited video recording of shows. Still photography was always OK as long as the flash was off. I read that on Bill and Mary Ann's blog that they have prohibited any photography during shows on the Amsterdam.

Is this something new fleet wide or only on the Amsterdam.

Thanks

I hope they have banned all picture taking fleet wide..It is annoying to others in the audience when people take pictures.. :eek: