Cruising with a foster child

princess*bride

I don't know specifically about foster children, but to bring my stepsons without his mother we had to get a notarized signed letter from her saying that we could take them. They can be pretty strict. (they did in fact ask to see the letter). I would call Carnival and not go based on info from here also. lol....not that I don't learn tons from here. Just wouldn't trust for that important of an issue.

The requirement will vary depending on the state and situation but in any case I cannot imagine you will need permission from the parents since if the child is in state foster care their rights have been terminated (at least temporally). I some cases foster parents for forbidden from taking the children out of the country and even the state. If you are allowed to take the child on a cruise more than likely you will need a notarized statement from the court appointed guardian that is usually the social worker assigned to the case.

God bless you for severing children.

My husband and I are newly certified foster parents. We don't currently have a placement but may have one by our next cruise in June. I think we'll have to get a judge's approval before taking him/her with us. Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been working in the child welfare system with the state of Tennessee for the past 10 years and it really depends on what state you live as to laws and policies about taking foster children out of the state and country. I would suggest you contact your local office or specific foster care liaison to you. A lot of states have established foster parent support programs that address questions of new parents.

• 3 months later...

Update - We've had a foster son since February and know we will have him until the next court date after the cruise. We were able to ask the judge directly during a previous court hearing if we could bring him on the cruise. This isn't a required step but the judge was going to initially schedule court during our cruise but changed it once we asked. The good thing is, it's now on court record that he granted permission. We'll be taking his birth certificate, placement letter stating we have custody through Child Protective Services, and the minutes from the previous court hearing (provided by the social worker). CPS also gave us a generic form allowing us to travel with him. We are going to have a great time!

Update - We've had a foster son since February and know we will have him until the next court date after the cruise. We were able to ask the judge directly during a previous court hearing if we could bring him on the cruise. This isn't a required step but the judge was going to initially schedule court during our cruise but changed it once we asked. The good thing is, it's now on court record that he granted permission. We'll be taking his birth certificate, placement letter stating we have custody through Child Protective Services, and the minutes from the previous court hearing (provided by the social worker). CPS also gave us a generic form allowing us to travel with him. We are going to have a great time!

I was going to tell you that in MA all we needed was their placement letter from DCF and the generic form that they give you allowing you to travel with them, and their birth certificate, of course. Keep in mind that if the child is 16 or older they will need to have a picture I.D. also. Good luck and have fun. DH and I fostered for a long time and it was one of the most rewarding things we have ever done. I feel like we REALLY made a difference in at least 2 of the kids lives.

As a former case manager of 10 years in FL. The foster parents and caregivers has to get permission from the parents and have a Court Order for travel outside of state and country. If the parents didn't consent we scheduled a hearing in front of the Judge.

I just think it's awesome that you guys are doing this. Have fun and thanks for doing this for this child, you are truly making a difference.

We have were able to take our foster sons and daughter on a cruise with us with the permission of the OCS caseworker… and the state payed for their airfare. We ended up adopting all three of them and just got back from a second cruise

We have were able to take our foster sons and daughter on a cruise with us with the permission of the OCS caseworker… and the state payed for their airfare. We ended up adopting all three of them and just got back from a second cruise

God bless your new family!

• 5 weeks later...
I've been working in the child welfare system with the state of Tennessee for the past 10 years and it really depends on what state you live as to laws and policies about taking foster children out of the state and country. I would suggest you contact your local office or specific foster care liaison to you. A lot of states have established foster parent support programs that address questions of new parents.

I am trying to take a foster child on a short cruise to Bahamas and his SW doesn't think it can be done. Although I prefer traveling with a passport he only needs a birth certificate. From what I can find out a birth certificate and a "travel authorization" form should be all we need. Can you shed some more light on this since you work with the Tennessee system please?

• 2 weeks later...
I am trying to take a foster child on a short cruise to Bahamas and his SW doesn't think it can be done. Although I prefer traveling with a passport he only needs a birth certificate. From what I can find out a birth certificate and a "travel authorization" form should be all we need. Can you shed some more light on this since you work with the Tennessee system please?

I'm not sure which policies apply to this question but it could depend on several of things since I don't have your specific case. So I need to speak in general terms. You can search tn.gov/dcs/policies and find specific information on the policy. Possibly talk with your foster parent support person and GAL from the courts. Your child's foster worker should have the birth certificate in the file. Some courts are more involved with decisions like this than others so you may have to involve the courts. Hope this can point you in some possible directions to get your answers.

For those still reading this thread, the issue of a foster or step child, a neighbor's kid, a friend of your kids, or any minor with a different last name (and let's face it, sometimes appearance) may not be so important in Carnival's eyes at check in for your cruise.

Having the proper documentation when debarking and going thru US Customs, is paramount however, to avoid extra interrogation. US Customs considers human/child trafficking quite seriously, and will profile cruisers who fall into the above catergories.